el capitan (public beta) & logic X...

fisherking

those of you who know me here know that i always do this...i update my OS, then sort out whatever issues crop up. i enjoy the process (sometimes fun, sometimes miserable, but always a good challenge). so...i've installed 10.11 on my macbook pro (AFTER finished mixing an EP!), and, so far...

all is (mostly) well. logic X seems to run fast, stable. app opens fast, my default template opens a little...slowly. my audio interface works (a nuforce DAC), and seems that all my plugins work, EXCEPT:

izotope nectar 2 (and i've read elsewhere that ozone 6 plugins also won't open). so, something about the izotope AU's...they 'cannot open'. for now, here's my workaround (and it took an entire day of investigation to get to this):

http://www.ddmf.eu/product.php?id=3

this works, is $49. it allows me to use the izotope vsts (there are other options, ie fxpansions vst>au app, but there's no demo, and did not want to drop $100 on something that may or may not work).

metaplugin is a little...inelegant, but intuitive enough. routed audio thru it, and midi AND audio. so...good for now (at least, until izotope addresses the issue).

if i encounter anything else between LX and el capitan, will report back.

Hi, just want to check if you have these in your setup:

-Kontakt 5 (or any Komplete 9 plugs)

-VSL VEP or VIP or Mir Pro

-Altiverb 7

-any Waves

Curious to know if those plugins are running under 10.11

Thanks

Fred

I have a test setup. VE PRO and kontakt work as expected.

Hi, just want to check if you have these in your setup:

-Kontakt 5 (or any Komplete 9 plugs)

-VSL VEP or VIP or Mir Pro

-Altiverb 7

-any Waves

Curious to know if those plugins are running under 10.11

Thanks

Fred

Out of what you listed, I only own and use Kontakt 5. I'm running El Capitan as well. Haven't seen any issues.

I can't imagine what might be going on in Ozone vs all the other AU's that would conflict with ElCap. Maybe something in their authorization process. I hate changing OS'ed for this very reason. Needless aggravation due to some overlooked new protocol. I don't see how this is progress.

I can't imagine what might be going on in Ozone vs all the other AU's that would conflict with ElCap. Maybe something in their authorization process. I hate changing OS'ed for this very reason. Needless aggravation due to some overlooked new protocol. I don't see how this is progress.

no one's doing this intentionally. really, if you picture all the lines of code from apple, izotope, and all the other apps you're running on your mac...it's amazing there aren't more conflicts.

apple makes changes, and developers (generally) scramble to adapt. ad infinitum...

meanwhile, i don't use ozone6 in logic, just nectar2...so it's izotope who needs to change something, probably very simple, in their apps (since ozone5 plugs seem to work, and...i can use the vsts for nectar).

apple makes changes, and developers (generally) scramble to adapt. ad infinitum...

These days Apple picks up a very fast pace, that I don't like anymore. Too much too big upgrades in a short time.

el capitan may be wonderful. a lot of people didn't like yosemite (not me lol), but so far, beta notwithstanding, 10.11 seems fast, light. stable. someone said it's what yosemite should have been.

anyway, they've been doing new iterations os OS X every year, so in that respect, they're right on schedule. and you don't have to upgrade if you don't want to. whatever works!

Apple is on a yearly update cycle for there OS's. I really think the era of "big releases" is over.

EL Cap is basically a continuation of Yosemite. There are some new cool stuff but it's mostly performance tweaks.

I wonder if the performance tweaks are for better or for trigger upgrade cycles :)

... so far, beta notwithstanding, 10.11 seems fast, light. stable. someone said it's what yosemite should have been.

I think this hits the nail on the head - very impressed at just how snappy things are under 10.11pb...

Yosemite => El Capitan reminds me of the performance boost that came with moving from Leopard => Snow Leopard

... so far, beta notwithstanding, 10.11 seems fast, light. stable. someone said it's what yosemite should have been.

I think this hits the nail on the head - very impressed at just how snappy things are under 10.11pb...

Yosemite => El Capitan reminds me of the performance boost that came with moving from Leopard => Snow Leopard

Same experience to me!

O.K. Folks, I admit that I was a bit early happier then you. After El Capitan beta 3 update, whole thing changed again. Well they have said "It is a Beta" and it is true. So suddenly, many of Plug-ins and Midi connections got lost etc. maybe it will be better after few more updates, who knows?

I put some screen shots on my post, that you guys can see. Cheers,

failed.thumb.jpg.cf00619d04cf5dc71f65baef3c1c58b6.jpg

Plug-inmanager.jpg.2be2a78c53d206370e4c8baec5c4c183.jpg

Beware with El Capitan public beta 4, my elicenser and iLok USB dongles stopped working.

Back to beta 3...

But the good news is that my big orchestral template made with VEP on El Capitan run smoothly. On Yosemite, the same template can't play without audio glitch even at 1024 buffer size.

So the performance improvement doesn't seems like a placebo

I downloaded Beta 4 - and things do seem a bit snappier. Logic seems to be working fine and so does Kontakt. However, my MOTU Fastlane Midi interface is no longer showing up. I downloaded the latest driver from MOTU and reinstalled. Still no go. And Audio Midi setup keeps freezing.

For now, it;s back to Yosemite!

Cheers

kc

eLicencer and iLok don't work here .

Yes i tried pram and smc reset plus safe mode restart and unplugging every USB devices. No luck here.

We will see if next updates will fix that or third party developper Will need to updates there drivers.

something to do with SIP (system integrity protection), which keeps OS files from being modified. try this:

boot into Recovery Mode (command-R); Go to Utilities, and the last option is SIP: uncheck it, continue to boot up. both usb devices should work (just remember that SIP is disabled).

report back!

EDIT: not sure, but you may need to reinstall software for both licensers...maybe...