"The download of essential sounds and settings failed."

HaydenDavenport

4 hours ago, Thommie said:

Did some more digging, and it seems my exteral drive should be formatted as APFS (it's now Mac OS Journaled, which was never a problem).

This shouldn't be a problem, and nor should you have to reformat an HFS+ drive to APFS.

What information told you an external drive with Logic's sound content on must be APFS?

I have had Logic's content on HFS+ drives for years, with zero problems, Logic itself should be agnostic to underlying drive formats, as long as they are properly supported by macOS of course (so no FAT32 drives and such!)

I'd be interested to know the technical reason they gave this advice... otherwise I suspect it's probably just anecdata.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

Was having the same issue with logic 10.7.2 on Monterrey.

After reading this thread I tried going into garageband and installing essential sounds manually within the app. It seems to be working and translating to logic for now. 

Will carry on tomorrow but this may solve the bare essentials, maybe not the full library of sounds.

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:19 PM, Eankk said:

Edit: someone commented on my post on FB community. Sadly It did not work for me. 

85D83307-E914-4632-B735-CF7AB2E164E1.png

Sorry for resurrecting this post.
It worked pretty well to me.

Looking to the mentioned folder while trying to download and install via Logic I could see the files being generated. Then being deleted due the error.

Opened  the Logic, then it could start to download the library again.
Located the folder and copied all downloaded .pkg files to another location.
Cancelled the installation when it asked for the password to proceed
Installed manually every .pkg file.
Then I opened Logic again.

It didn't even ask me about library download.

Worked pretty well.
Thanks

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 5:57 AM, haywardsound said:

Has there been any solution to this? I am having the exact same problem with getting Essential Sounds installed on OS Monterey. 

Logic Pro 10.6

If you're still dealing with this issue, I may have a solution.

Download and install the trial version of Logic X Pro from Apple. I have yet to experience a problem with the installation. No sound library failures or anything. Now, without overwriting the trial version in your Applications folder, install your full version as a second instance of Logic. Open and run the full version. You should be able to access all sound libraries. If not, check the trial version to see if there are any files that need to be installed. Once that's all done, drag the trial version of Logic to your trash and get rid of it.

And there you go! It worked for me on two separate computers so far. Hope it works for you.

Edited by CyberWrek
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the light of this issue that many face, I found a new topic on Facebook (in the Logic Pro Users Group) about this. Someone says to format the external SSD as APFS + GUID. No Mac OS Journaled or whatsoever, only APFS + GUID. Native Instruments has an article about it too, you can find it through the link below.

I was experiencing the issue myself again, but in a different form: my Alchemy presets decided to go missing all of a sudden. I now formatted my external SSD to APFS and put back the Library (I placed it to another drive for the time being). Everything works again. Lets hope it stays like that.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/543628065696081/permalink/6060818700643629/

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360013984897-Storing-Libraries-on-an-External-Drive-for-both-Mac-and-Windows?fbclid=IwAR0WJyZnonfoeQNnPAKk7NJtzj4xe1H8pN0rVIhHoda9A3JnrpyxNMQ0I4Y

• 5 weeks later...

I had a similar problem on a M1 mac with Logic 10.6.1

It was downloading the .pkg files but then failing to install saying my internet is bad and deleting the downloaded files.

I have used a combination of the solutions posted above 

1. from @Eankk answer - just search for `audiocontentdownload.apple.com` in Finder (you can limit the search by navigating `/private/var/folders` first)
2. installing all packages manually once they are downloaded (don’t click on Logic’s installation pop-up window once they are downloaded as it will delete them) - a tip: if you have lots of packages you can select all of them and hit CMD+o for a retro WinXP experience  😄 
3. If after restarting Logic still tries complains about missing libs you can follow this trick:
  a. open Disk Utility and add a new partition to your main ssd e. g. APPLE SSD -> Container disc -> temp
  b. in Logic -> Sound Library -> Relocate Library to a newly created disk
  c. once all went well you can relocate it back to yr main APPLE SSD -> Container disc -> Macintosh HD and delete the temp partition

• Like 1