Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

Where does it say Sierra is the minimum? App Store?

Correct. That's where you get the app and it says 10.12

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 10.48.27 AM.png

Aaaaarrrg!!! So now i can't buy it at all, unless i want to abandon my MacBook Pro 5,5 and upgrade my iMac (not looking forward to that). i was days away from making this purchase since i finally had the money!!

EDIT: At this rate, an OS is only supported for two years. i moved to Apple because they were better than Microsoft (WERE!). Not so i could be pressured into forced upgrades and throwing away 3-year-old hardware because of the concurrence of software/hardware that results in being forced to upgrade everything because of needing to upgrade one thing.

How are we supposed to have an "ecosystem" of products when we're not allowed to keep one for more than three years? i'm in poverty! Struggling to even have somewhat recent devices is hard enough, but having a complete "ecosystem" is becoming impossible. Unless you buy everything all at one time and then trash and re-buy it all again at one time, you get stuck on subpar configs (iOS devices) and bullied by update notifications.

Edited by dysamoria

Oh update looks pretty sweet - packed with fresh content.

Like many, i'm still rocking a Mac Pro that's capped to El Cap so no go here on my main Audio machine. Still, i'm really happy now we've reached this point, and i finally know what i'm 'stuck' with, really can't complain, it's been a long time coming and the 10.3 update is still great - could quite easily last me long time.

I'm going to try and not read any 'happy' 10.4 comments now, so if we could have a negative 10.4 thread that i can read through in glee, that would be very much appreciated! :)

Damn, they again messed up the Automation view, depending if you have a track zoomed or not : - ( That's the first thing I always check these days when a new version arrives... Usually when you have the Auto track zoom thing, only this track will show automation when you use the KC for Show Automation. If no track is zoomed, all tracks show automation when using the KC. Damn. Great update for the rest, though!!

Blink

I'm in poverty! Struggling to even have somewhat recent devices is hard enough, but having a complete "ecosystem" is becoming impossible. Unless you buy everything all at one time and then trash it all at one time, you get stuck and then bullied by updates.

Well, my Mac Pro is nearly 10 years old and this is the first (sub) version of Logic i've been unable to run. I have no complaints whatsoever.

2009-2010 Mac's onwards can run Sierra, and with that, Logic 10.4 - so really not an issue, if people want updates and progression then what else can be done? Improvements on an OS/Framework level that makes use of particular hardware is just a part of that progression. Killer tracks are still being produced on Logic 9 let's not forget.

Edited by skijumptoes

Aaaaarrrg!!! So now i can't buy it at all, unless i want to abandon my MacBook Pro 5,5 and upgrade my iMac (not looking forward to that). i was days away from making this purchase since i finally had the money!!

EDIT: At this rate, an OS is only supported for two years. i moved to Apple because they were better than Microsoft (WERE!). Not so i could be pressured into forced upgrades and throwing away 3-year-old hardware because of the concurrence of software/hardware that results in being forced to upgrade everything because of needing to upgrade one thing.

How are we supposed to have an "ecosystem" of products when we're not allowed to keep one for more than three years? i'm in poverty! Struggling to even have somewhat recent devices is hard enough, but having a complete "ecosystem" is becoming impossible. Unless you buy everything all at one time and then trash and re-buy it all again at one time, you get stuck on subpar configs (iOS devices) and bullied by update notifications.

Planned obsolescence welcome to Apple world, buy a iphone every year and an imac every 2 years ! That's why I progressively switch to Reaper. Apple is not for poor people.

Can anyone confirm that File menu -> new from template works? When I try to create a project from a template, nothing happens.

Furthermore, when I go to settings and try to set what happens when logic opens, I can select open with default template but then again, when I try to press the button below, to select the default template, no popup window.

Planned obsolescence welcome to Apple world, buy a iphone every year and an imac every 2 years ! That's why I progressively switch to Reaper. Apple is not for poor people.

tech moves forward, it always has... and with new power, features, come new OS and hardware requirements. it's just the way it is. but there's always the option to not upgrade. despite the new tools, you can still make stellar music on an older LX, or logic 9... etc.

Can anyone confirm that File menu -> new from template works? When I try to create a project from a template, nothing happens.

Furthermore, when I go to settings and try to set what happens when logic opens, I can select open with default template but then again, when I try to press the button below, to select the default template, no popup window.

not an LX issue in general, but one you're having. maybe someone here can help? meanwhile, the HS alphabetical issue is fixed, and my templates (for example) are again in order...)

This is a free update.

Sounds too good and too generous and I almost believe that I had to pay another few hundred bucks by seeing a button for buying with a price tag underneath. Apparently, this is a bug in App Store. I could find "Install" button on the Logic Pro X product page only after I did "Sign In" and entered my Apple ID password.

It was like a late Christmas present from Apple and I just wanted strings and horns. I am now downloading 5.52 GB of additional contents for Studio Strings / Horns.

This is a free update.

Sounds too good and too generous and I almost believe that I had to pay another few hundred bucks by seeing a button for buying with a price tag underneath. Apparently, this is a bug in App Store. I could find "Install" button on the Logic Pro X product page only after I did "Sign In" and entered my Apple ID password.

It was like a late Christmas present from Apple and I just wanted strings and horns. I am now downloading 5.52 GB of additional contents for Studio Strings / Horns.

no dude, there is a price for the update, $199. i will give you my paypal address and you can make your payment directly to that....

Yes and no. I'm running a 2011 iMac and 2012 MacBook Air, all of which can run the latest OS. It's 2018. Being able to run the latest OS on a 7 year old machine really isn't bad. Consider that we went from virtually no space program in '61 to a man walking on the moon in '69, a scant 8 years later. A lot can change in technology in 8 years. There was a whole change in the processor architecture between 2010-2012. I don't love the forced march of OS upgrades, but it isn't true that one has to buy a new computer every 3 years.

Sierra seems to run fine on my iMac, but I'm reluctantly to update to Sierra on my studio Mac from El Capitan.

My MacBook has almost died by updating to High Sierra, so that I'm definitely staying away from.

Yeah, Sierra runs buttery smooth even on my 2009 Macbook Unibody (upgraded the HD to SSD, maxed the RAM to 16GB) for about a year now, I think.

Except for that poor Arabesque screen saver, lol.

Thank you. It should be in my 'Purchased' list. I managed to upgrade my Mini (now my wife's) to Sierra a while back, and it was listed on the Mini's 'Purchased' list. Not on this iMac's, though. Weird. I'm upgrading Logic on my wife's computer now. So, at least I'll be able to see what's what.

And how would I get Sierra? I looked in my 'Purchased' list, and it isn't there on this computer, even though everything from Mavericks to El Cap is there. Guess I'll look into how to revert to El Cap via Time Machine.

This is why whenever Apple releases a new OS version, you should always go ahead in the app store and say "yes"..it will be downloaded to your machine, but don't hit yes on the final install confirmation. Then you can delete the dmg that it downloaded. After that you will be registered in the app store as having purchased that version of the OS and it will remain available for you to download and install at any time if you so choose. That's why you can see Mavericks and El Cap in the store, because you are registered in the app store as having "purchased" them. You never "purchased" Sierra and now its not available for those that didn't.

If you don't do the above, then when the following OS version comes out, the previous version disappears from the app store. I am not sure if there is a way to obtain the Sierra installer otherwise. Check with your friends they may be able to download the DMG and burn it to a DVD for you. It may or may not be available some other way also such as through Apple Developer program or something like that.