Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

Just to say that for anybody who has spent stupid amounts of money on sample libraries, and regretted it, the new studio strings and horns are quite incredible and blow many of those away, particularly with their playability. Top stuff. For those wondering about the size of the library downloads flagged up, I think it is possibly not accurate and showing full sizes, even when you only need smaller updates.

I had essentially given up on finding good strings and horns because most of the products I found offered today are way overkill for my needs. I really hope these new instruments are good so that way I wont have to spend like $500 on a Kontakt library just to get a good full strings sound.

Personally I wasn't all that impressed, but considering its free...its great! I have several other 3rd party libraries already that blow it away. But I haven't spent that much time with it either. To me it looks and sounds basically like they just took some of the existing EXS24 libraries and put a more turnkey interface around them to make them easier to use...with maybe some new samples added to it, perhaps some more articulations, etc.. The new articulation id feature is setup to work closely with these two libraries, they provided some factory articulation sets corresponding to these instruments and the GUI for each instrument allows you to directly set and view articulation id also.

It is judged after the sequencer input of Logic environment.

I tried the Chord Memorizer now and I see that MIDI Activity (In/Out) shows something as I hit a relevant key on my MIDI keyboard. Are you sure that you have set up the Chord Memorizer properly?

Here's a quick rundown of the new features along with a couple of screenshots: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-x-10-4-released/

Thank you. I noticed that the funky visualization in ChromaVerb is not showing on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15. But I assume that this is a kind consideration of Apple to make Logic Pro X useable on older machines.

And have they perhaps changed how Automation/MIDI interface works?

1438943244_ScreenShot2018-01-26at19_27_22.thumb.png.fed5f8c80045e118c4c4002ee79e04de.png

Here's a quick rundown of the new features along with a couple of screenshots: https://www.logicprohelp.com/logic-pro-x-10-4-released/

Thank you. I noticed that the funky visualization in ChromaVerb is not showing on my 2011 MacBook Pro 15. But I assume that this is a kind consideration of Apple to make Logic Pro X useable on older machines.

And have they perhaps changed how Automation/MIDI interface works?

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 19.27.22.png

Now you can see all the automation of a track in the piano roll / track editor as well. That's GREAT!

Being able to trigger 2 articulations at exactly the same time is great.

Can you elaborate on this a little bit?

Say you have a chord (even quantized exactly), you can pick a different articulation for each note in the chord.

If you want to layer articulations, you can duplicate the region, place it over the original and use different articulations for each.

It is judged after the sequencer input of Logic environment.

I tried the Chord Memorizer now and I see that MIDI Activity (In/Out) shows something as I hit a relevant key on my MIDI keyboard. Are you sure that you have set up the Chord Memorizer properly?

befive

Thank you for your reply.

Arigato.

In 10.3.3, the chord name is displayed.

In 10.4.0, the input note name is displayed.

I think that specification change.

As a countermeasure, I am using "Insert Piz Here - midiChordAnalyzer".

https://www.thepiz.org/plugins/?p=midiChordAnalyzer

490122837_ChordMemoPic.thumb.jpg.83690d4b56bd6eba0162988eea3dda17.jpg

Got you. This works because technically speaking, even quantized chords in midi are serial. artzid worked on that principle also. Good to know that built in support still respects that.

Not sure what you mean about layering articulations? Can you explain a use case?

For example, if you want to layer pizzicato and spiccato strings on the same track so they play exactly the same notes.

Please can smb tell me how big the full sound library is now? Before the update it was smwhere about ~92 Gb (~60 Gb of samples and ~32 Gb of loops). Now Logic pro have urged me to download another 70 Gb of new content, thus in sum the whole library should be ~162 Gb. Am I right?

Please excuse if this comes up as a double post, but I don't see the reply I wrote.

How do you find out the Gb of the library?

Logic didn't urge me to download anything else. Should I have gotten that message?

When I click on the little gear on the far left side on the bottom of the library and use the dropdown menu, I click on "show available downloads" nothing happens. Should something heppen?

Thanks.

Convenient way to find out the size of your sound library is to go to about this mac/storage/manage/music creation

To manage your sound library go to logic pro x menu/sound library/open sound library manager... "incomplete" message means your library is not fully downloaded.

747686829_ScreenShot2018-01-26at23_20_07.thumb.png.0fb870c58e88ac4acc1eb6b41c52d9be.png

Just to confirm what some people are finding with Chromaverb. Yes, it sounds great. But on one project, some dialogue, fx and instruments, not a high track count, one instance of chroma on a track stack sent one core through the roof, and keep it there through playback, causing glitches. If you use it, open your cpu meter and keep an eye on it. Seems to consume absurd amount of cpu, even when idle. And I also noticed when graphics is switched on, there is a faint buzz in one channel. So I am going to abandon it for now, let's see if it gets updated. Maybe different on other processors, setups.

I had essentially given up on finding good strings and horns because most of the products I found offered today are way overkill for my needs. I really hope these new instruments are good so that way I wont have to spend like $500 on a Kontakt library just to get a good full strings sound.

Personally I wasn't all that impressed, but considering its free...its great! I have several other 3rd party libraries already that blow it away. But I haven't spent that much time with it either. To me it looks and sounds basically like they just took some of the existing EXS24 libraries and put a more turnkey interface around them to make them easier to use...with maybe some new samples added to it, perhaps some more articulations, etc.. The new articulation id feature is setup to work closely with these two libraries, they provided some factory articulation sets corresponding to these instruments and the GUI for each instrument allows you to directly set and view articulation id also.

Which third party libraries do you use? Im not scoring movies or anything but I'm still looking for some better sounds.

Kirk Hunter stuff is great, and they go on sale for a great price now and then. I also have EastWest, Garritan and other stuff...also goes on sale for not too much often enough. NI Komplete has some interesting stuff if you're getting it anyway for other reasons, again wait for sale. The really high end stuff will cost you a lot more and both EastWest and KH are considered kind of yesterday's news I guess compared to some of that new expensive stuff...but its still better then the free stuff in logic, which is quite good considering its free, don't get me wrong.

Just to confirm what some people are finding with Chromaverb. Yes, it sounds great. But on one project, some dialogue, fx and instruments, not a high track count, one instance of chroma on a track stack sent one core through the roof, and keep it there through playback, causing glitches. If you use it, open your cpu meter and keep an eye on it. Seems to consume absurd amount of cpu, even when idle. And I also noticed when graphics is switched on, there is a faint buzz in one channel. So I am going to abandon it for now, let's see if it gets updated. Maybe different on other processors, setups.

huh, wierd.

I get signal at -200dB FS peak for ChromaVerb when idling. Enabling/disabling graphics doesnt change sound *at all*

My baseline project:

16x retro synth

16x vintage piano.

Logic X uses 60% (out of 800% total)

with 32x chromaverbs (one on each channel)

Logic X uses ~220% (that is additional 150% of CPU)

with 32x chromaverbs with disabled visuals:

Logic X uses the same. (looks like visuals are entirely offloaded to GPU!)

with 32x space designer:

logic X uses ~165% cpu

with 32x 2C Audio B2 (single engine mode)

Logic X uses ~325% cpu (ouch) double engine goes roughly double that.

with 32x 2C Audio Breeze2

logic X uses ~205% cpu

with 32x FF Pro R (very similar reverb to chroma verb - its the reverb ChromaVerb was likely modelled after.)

logic x uses ~330% cpu

With 32x FF pro and gfx disabled:

logic x uses ~315% cpu (looks like visuals are also a little CPU dependent)

just for kicks i also tried 2C Audio Aether:

~310%

SilverVerb:

~85% (lol)

EnVerb:

~110%

I used default presets for all of them - probably usage goes up if you change them to something more dense/longer tail

From what i see, eems to me Chromaverb CPU is on par with other algorithmics though.

Kirk Hunter stuff is great, and they go on sale for a great price now and then. I also have EastWest, Garritan and other stuff...also goes on sale for not too much often enough. NI Komplete has some interesting stuff if you're getting it anyway for other reasons, again wait for sale. The really high end stuff will cost you a lot more and both EastWest and KH are considered kind of yesterday's news I guess compared to some of that new expensive stuff...but its still better then the free stuff in logic, which is quite good considering its free, don't get me wrong.

Spitfire Audio makes great Kontakt libraries for example.

Mark

Well, for all the fantastic new features 10.4.0 is unusable on by mid-2010 Mac Pro 5,1. Projects that play flawlessly in 10.3.3 are now crackling all over the place and worse, do not appear to sound the same, mix-wise. The first song I opened up the kick had almost disappeared. Chromaverb crackles at the tail of longer reverbs, in a one instrument try-out. cpu core meter 8 pinned, as has been noted elsewhere.

Back to 10.3.3 for now. Can’t wait to use these new goodies though . . I love the articulation switching on the new string library.

Spitfire are awesome but they are definitely getting into the more expensive category and a bit specialized, its not hard to spend thousands of dollars on a spitfire collection. LA Strings and other stuff like that is similar. The stuff I mentioned earlier can be gotten on sale for as little as $99 at times.

In any case I think the articulation handling in 10.4 will open up some new frontiers for people using LPX's string and horn instruments because I think probably a lot of people in the past either found it cumbersome to deal with keyswitches or didn't even know it was possible with the EXS24 instruments. Now its front and center in a way that is going to be very easily accessible to people looking for more nuance from their string and horn parts. I think this change will bring the process of using keyswitches to drive string and brass articulations more into the mainstream just because it will be easy to use and people will just mess with it and go "whoa".

There are a lot of sequencing tricks that can be used, even with very simple sample libraries to bring them to life and sound a lot better then might be otherwise obvious out of the box. I remember when Garritan Personal Orchestra first came out years ago, it was kind of ho hum sounding, but then some users eventually started producing some very impressive sounding demos using it. They were layering stuff all over the place and using various tricks with CC messages and what not to provide nuance and tonal movement. But the amount of time and effort they put into doing that was extensive. Sometimes the fancy libraries are expensive only because they produce those kinds of results with less effort. A working pro needs that.

Spitfire are awesome but they are definitely getting into the more expensive category and a bit specialized, its not hard to spend thousands of dollars on a spitfire collection. LA Strings and other stuff like that is similar. The stuff I mentioned earlier can be gotten on sale for as little as $99 at times.

In any case I think the articulation handling in 10.4 will open up some new frontiers for people using LPX's string and horn instruments because I think probably a lot of people in the past either found it cumbersome to deal with keyswitches or didn't even know it was possible with the EXS24 instruments. Now its front and center in a way that is going to be very easily accessible to people looking for more nuance from their string and horn parts. I think this change will bring the process of using keyswitches to drive string and brass articulations more into the mainstream just because it will be easy to use and people will just mess with it and go "whoa".

There are a lot of sequencing tricks that can be used, even with very simple sample libraries to bring them to life and sound a lot better then might be otherwise obvious out of the box. I remember when Garritan Personal Orchestra first came out years ago, it was kind of ho hum sounding, but then some users eventually started producing some very impressive sounding demos using it. They were layering stuff all over the place and using various tricks with CC messages and what not to provide nuance and tonal movement. But the amount of time and effort they put into doing that was extensive. Sometimes the fancy libraries are expensive only because they produce those kinds of results with less effort. A working pro needs that.

EastWest looks interesting but until one of those sales happen ill have to stick with the stock sounds for now.

Well I tried it on my MacBook, which has an i7 and intel graphics. Chromaverb was much better behaved, didn't spike and could be inserted on a good few channels. So maybe something to do with the old Mac Pro, even though it is well spec'd. Will have to try a few more variables.

Well I tried it on my MacBook, which has an i7 and intel graphics. Chromaverb was much better behaved, didn't spike and could be inserted on a good few channels. So maybe something to do with the old Mac Pro, even though it is well spec'd. Will have to try a few more variables.

Your machine is 8 years old. Its not about it specs unfortunately. It just not supported for new technologies and performance standards. What has been super spec'd 10 years ago doesn't mean it can handle current tasks.