Logic Pro X 10.4.1 Released!

drb

no Thank You. sticking with El Capitan.

Stepped off the upgrade train with El Capitan 10.11.3.

All stable with logic 10.3.2

amazing and good on you for not upgrading, but this is a LPX 10.4 thread and you're really offtopic.

If you want you can try running LPX 10.4 with minimal OS flag modified and then join in on discussion.

FWIW there are a lot of 3rd party collaborations going on under the hood. You may not see it as a user, but Apple is constantly communicating with hardware and software manufacturer to make sure everything works together in harmony.

Might be - and i believe it is - but now its public. Make it look completely different.

FWIW there are a lot of 3rd party collaborations going on under the hood. You may not see it as a user, but Apple is constantly communicating with hardware and software manufacturer to make sure everything works together in harmony.

Hm, not enough with Softube for my taste. Still no better integration with Console 1 :x

Hm, not enough with Softube for my taste. Still no better integration with Console 1 :x

https://www.softube.com/images/console1_daw_compatibility.png

yeah looks like softube has issues on more fronts tho. I decided to steer away from it when I checked that chart.

Please can smb tell me how big the full sound library is now? Before the update it was smwhere about ~92 Gb (~60 Gb of samples and ~32 Gb of loops). Now Logic pro have urged me to download another 70 Gb of new content, thus in sum the whole library should be ~162 Gb. Am I right?

I'm in the same boat as u.

Not sure how big the sum of the new library would be, as i'm still downloading the new content.

Just to say that for anybody who has spent stupid amounts of money on sample libraries, and regretted it, the new studio strings and horns are quite incredible and blow many of those away, particularly with their playability. Top stuff. For those wondering about the size of the library downloads flagged up, I think it is possibly not accurate and showing full sizes, even when you only need smaller updates.

Haven’t had a chance to test .4 yet, but sure am excited about it!

For what it’s worth, I’ve got an early 2009 Mac Pro, ie. 4.1 that capped as is at El Cap. “Zapped” it with ‘Mac Pro 2009-2010 Firmware Tool’ to look like 5.1 and have been running Sierra for a year and now 10.3.3 successfully. Only thing is that my particular WiFi card doesn’t work, but I’m using Ethernet anyway. Will try 10.4, too, next week.

PS. YMMV. I’m in no way responsible if you try the firmware zapping and it doesn’t work. With this tool it’s reversible, though, so should be easily undone, should stuff not work after.

"A short click on the background of the Tracks area while pressing Shift now moves the Playhead to the clicked position."

If you rubber band selections in the Piano Roll the Playhead will jump there making it really annoying to edit.

This does not happen in the Main Window, you can rubberband regions no problem.

Is there a way to turn this feature off?

Yes I was noticing that too, very odd

The reverb presets are a separate download in the Sound Library Manager, down near the bottom of the list.

I saw that but it's hard to know what's new and what's old. I wish the sample library had an option to only show what isn't downloaded and download only what's new.

I know you can click select uninstalled but this is not accurate. For instance, I can see the modern songwriter section in my preset library but logic thinks it's not installed. if I click on select uninstalled it selects everything and that's a 73.3 gb download. insane

"A short click on the background of the Tracks area while pressing Shift now moves the Playhead to the clicked position."

If you rubber band selections in the Piano Roll the Playhead will jump there making it really annoying to edit.

This does not happen in the Main Window, you can rubberband regions no problem.

Is there a way to turn this feature off?

that doesnt happen here, if i rubber band the playhead sits still. only if i click and release without dragging the playhead actually moves

I know you can click select uninstalled but this is not accurate. For instance, I can see the modern songwriter section in my preset library but logic thinks it's not installed. if I click on select uninstalled it selects everything and that's a 73.3 gb download. insane

It's just the reported size of download (which is for the whole thing from scratch) which is inaccurate). If you have a list of incomplete installations, it will only update your existing library, and won't download the reported 73Gb. Just try one of them and you will see, it downloads quickly, because it is only downloading the stuff you don't have, not the whole cahuna.

Just so I'm understanding the new Articulation functionality: 1) you select notes in the Piano Roll and then assign the articulations via the Articulation menu below the Scale Quantize menu? 2) Keyswitches using a MIDI controller? If this is the case, I was hoping for something like the AG Toolkit where I can draw in articulations directly in the Automation lane... or is there something like that hidden somewhere?

You don't draw articulations in the automation lane, as AG did. The new functionality follows much more closely the paradigm that was employed by skiswitcher's ArtzID, which utilitizes logics articulation id feature. Here are some of the ways to create articulations, presuming that an articulation set has been enabled via the track inspector first:

1. right click a note in the piano roll, go to the context menu for articulation id and set the note to one of the id's pre-defined in the articulation set. if no articulation set is enabled on the track, then you can choose any arbitrary id number.
  2. Go to event list, and there is a column for articulation id. If there is an articulation set enabled, then you will see a menu to select one of the available pre defined by name articulations. if an articulation set is note enabled, then you can set it to an arbitrary number.
  3. when an articulation set is enabled, the piano roll note inspector has an articulation id field to set the value there too.
  4. When articulation "midi remote" is engaged, then you can use key switches as you record your midi part to dynamically apply an articulation id to each subsequent note.
  5. there is also a smart control pane now for keyswitches when an articulation set is enabled. From this smart control pane you can select keyswitches and see which keyswitch is in effect. Note that when you play a keyswitch or select one from the smart control while recording a midi part, then LPX basically converts that incoming keyswitch into an articulation id for subsequent note(s). Upon playback, a completely different keyswitch can be sent out to whatever sample library you're using, depending on how its defined in the articulation set. So you can standardize your incoming keyswitches and articulation id's, then swap out to different sample libraries relatively easily, having the articulation id's mapped to the proper outgoing keyswitch for each one.
  6. Note the piano roll can be configured to colorize notes based on articulation id, which gives you a visual display of the articulation id's over time
  7. Note also that articulations can be defined in the articulation set to also associate a score notation symbol with the articulation, and those will then appear in blue in the score window. For example, you could associate a particular articulation id with staccato and then whenever you have notes with that articulation id, the score window will display those notes with a blue staccato dot.

Personally I'm impressed. I think they did it right. This is by far the biggest new feature add in 10.4 for me. The auto tempo stuff is pretty exciting too and the old Camel plugins.

Edited by Dewdman42

Please can smb tell me how big the full sound library is now? Before the update it was smwhere about ~92 Gb (~60 Gb of samples and ~32 Gb of loops). Now Logic pro have urged me to download another 70 Gb of new content, thus in sum the whole library should be ~162 Gb. Am I right?

Please excuse if this comes up as a double post, but I don't see the reply I wrote.

How do you find out the Gb of the library?

Logic didn't urge me to download anything else. Should I have gotten that message?

When I click on the little gear on the far left side on the bottom of the library and use the dropdown menu, I click on "show available downloads" nothing happens. Should something heppen?

Thanks.

Just to say that for anybody who has spent stupid amounts of money on sample libraries, and regretted it, the new studio strings and horns are quite incredible and blow many of those away, particularly with their playability. Top stuff. For those wondering about the size of the library downloads flagged up, I think it is possibly not accurate and showing full sizes, even when you only need smaller updates.

I had essentially given up on finding good strings and horns because most of the products I found offered today are way overkill for my needs. I really hope these new instruments are good so that way I wont have to spend like $500 on a Kontakt library just to get a good full strings sound.

It's just the reported size of download (which is for the whole thing from scratch) which is inaccurate). If you have a list of incomplete installations, it will only update your existing library, and won't download the reported 73Gb. Just try one of them and you will see, it downloads quickly, because it is only downloading the stuff you don't have, not the whole cahuna.

Could be true in your case, certainly not mine.

I'm still downloading bit by bit, had 40+ gigs of new content to download earlier (now down to 30gigs+).

P/s: When i run Logic Pro X 10.3.3 from my backup, it says 0GB of new content, but says 30GB+ when running Sound Library Manager from Logic Pro 10.4