Logic Pro 8 Screenshots

David Nahmani

I hate that we can't hide the Transport bar. There. I said it. :(

Ah noooo.....for real? That is the first thing I removed from my screen after installing 7 :roll:

I use a mackie control universal for a reason: better transport display! sigh....

Maybe they will fix this in an upgrade later on...

re: toolbox:

Watch the new toolbox at work!

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicTipsAndTricks

(videos on the right)

X

Martin says the Junction pointer (he calls it the Junction tool) doesn't work when the drag mode is overlap, so you have to be in no overlap mode to use it. That doesn't make much sense, since you don't need a Junction pointer when you are in "no overlap". You can just lengthen one of the regions and the other will be trimmed accordingly. The Junction pointer works fine in overlap mode or any drag mode, which is the whole point of the tool.

Here are a few more for those waiting to see the new klopfgeist.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/tencentcat/Logic8b.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/tencentcat/Logic8a.jpg

Overall Logic seems to be running suprisingly well on my old dual G4. The only downside (so far) is somewhat sluggish scrolling.

re: toolbox:

Watch the new toolbox at work!

http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logicTipsAndTricks

(videos on the right)

X

Martin says the Junction pointer (he calls it the Junction tool) doesn't work when the drag mode is overlap, so you have to be in no overlap mode to use it. That doesn't make much sense, since you don't need a Junction pointer when you are in "no overlap". You can just lengthen one of the regions and the other will be trimmed accordingly. The Junction pointer works fine in overlap mode or any drag mode, which is the whole point of the tool.

"junction" tool is what Final Cut calls "Roll". "Slip" (which he mentions also) is with a single clip, it keeps the length and position the same, but slips the in and out points on the master clip back in forth.

I looked, and it is called the junction tool in the LS8 manual. I wish terminology would stay consistent. :-(

Geof

Except if you're shortening a region, and then you need to close the gap with the other region. Seems like the junction pointer eliminates that extra step. :)

Except if you're shortening a region, and then you need to close the gap with the other region. Seems like the junction pointer eliminates that extra step. :)

But if you just want to move the edit point, you wouldn't shorten a region, but lengthen the other one. So in No Overlap mode, drag the region start of the region on the right toward the left, or drag the region end of the region on the left toward the right. The results are exactly the same as with the new Junction pointer, except the Junction pointer is more elegant and works in any drag mode.

Does anyone know the publish date of David book. Or have you seen it at any Apple store yet?

It should be released end of October.

Will it also contain al kind of nice shortcuts/tips as are here on the forum or is it only aimed at 'real starters'?

... installing Logic Studio at this moment :D ......

It's a starter/intermediate book which really includes a LOT of tips and tricks and pretty advanced techniques, and 3 professional multi-track sessions, one by a major producer... guess who. ;-)

Pretty much covers all you need to produce really cool music in Logic 8 . I wanted to really focus on music production, audio editing, midi programming, all of that from a music producer point of view, not just technical "click here to do that", but why you're doing it and how and when... I try to always indicate both menus and key commands too.

Focusing on music production meant leaving out some other topics, so you will not find the following topics in my book:

Music notation (there's just one or two pages about the score editor).

Surround sound.

Environment.

But David Dvorin's Beyond the Basics will cover that (I don't think he covers the environment though... really no need in Logic 8).

Plus I have a new Troubleshooting chapter that goes pretty deep into how to troubleshoot connection problems, unexpected behaviors, and optimizing Logic when maxing out CPU or Hard drive and such.