3rd Party Plugin factory presets database for Logic

I don't have any of them, but looking at the XILS website it looks like there are two demo options:

- The non-dongled versions cannot save/load presets, so they are out

- The dongled demo is time limited but can save/load presets

So it looks like I can request a time-limited demo license for iLok for each, and use that to export the presets. I'll see what I can do...

polykb.jpg.45c8fd4119cd875b7dcad3b257233cc9.jpg

XILS Lab PolyKB III

Presets from PolyKB III

Download: xils_polyKB III Factory.zip 

(863KB archive, 13.7MB expanded)

Instructions: Once unpacked, Copy the "Factory" and "FactoryPK3" folder to

~/Library/Audio/Presets/XILS-lab/polyKB III/

(that's the Library folder in your home directory)

950305184_xils-v.thumb.jpg.541c154a4c9e74af44108e9f1fcefa72.jpg

XILS Lab XILS V+

Presets from XILS V+

Download: xils_XILS V+ Factory.zip 

(210KB archive, 757KB expanded)

Instructions: Once unpacked, Copy the "Factory" folder to

~/Library/Audio/Presets/XILS-lab/XILS V+/

polym.jpg.72ede438b761b31f6f934e1d54016ea3.jpg

XILS Lab PolyM

Presets from PolyM

Download: xils_PolyM Factory.zip 

(519KB archive, 2.1MB expanded)

Instructions: Once unpacked, Copy the "Factory" folder to

~/Library/Audio/Presets/XILS-lab/PolyM/

Enjoy!

Are you familiar with the original synths these are modelled on?

- The Polymoog is a divide-down organ-technology-derived synth, most famous for it's Vox Humana sound (used on early Gary Numan records like 'Cars').

- Roland VP330 is a string synth + vocoder.

- The PolyKobol is a very rare polyphonic version of the (French) Kobol synth, and is a big sounding analog monster synth along the lines of the Memorymoog or OB8, but with more modulation potential.

So it depends what you are looking for, and what ticks your boxes - try the audio demos at least to get a feel for the character of each. The emulations are of decent quality. But in general, you'd get the PolyM if you really wanted a Polymoog and it's character (I don't). Same for the VP330 - it has a very distinctive character sound and vintage good sound vocoder - if you don't like the 70s string synths and have no use for a vocoder, then it's probably not going to be that interesting either. The PolyKobol is a good sounding analog synth and is the one I like the best... ymmv of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm - are those organised in any way, or is it a big block of a gadzillion DX7 presets..?

Edit: Just had a look, and it seems to be organised. Over 2000 syx banks..!

I'll have a look into it, but no promises or how long it will take...

Edit2: Ok, I had a quick initial look and it looks doable.

What I will need to do is make it solid and self-contained so unattended it will walk through the folder structure, creating the destination folders to replicate the folder structure, and load/convert the banks it comes across to individual presets in the correct places. That way I can set it going overnight and work through the 60,000+ (!) patches bit by bit. It will be good because navigating this much content in Dexed is not a great experience...

Yes, they should be standard DX7 bank files, so will import into FM8 and the Arturia DX7V just fine.

These bank collections are always full of dupes - while this is obviously painful when doing the conversions manually for this amount of content, it's less of a problem once you have a bullet proof script as the computer just gets on with it.

As was said above, I don't do any extra organising of this stuff, just convert it to Logic format and offer it with the same structure - then what the user does on their end is up to them...

Incidentally, what are you guys' preferences for the following situation:

I'm going to convert a bank of 32 presets. I create a folder the same as the file name (to keep these 32 together from the bank they are in) and save out the 32 presets to that folder.

Would you prefer to have the patches just saved as their name (so, they will ultimately be sorted is alphabetical order, which is likely different to the original order of each patch in the bank dump), or saved with the patch number pre-pended to the name (eg "01 - PhatBass") - so the files remain in the same order as they were in in the bank?

With the patch number added, the ordering stays as in the original bank which has some advantages, but also makes file management a bit of a pain if you're going to move and reorganise patches, as the numbering really only has context within the original bank folder.

Any preferences?

Hmmmm, if it made no difference to your conversion method then I would stick to the numbered patches for historical reasons, and then if I wanted to re-organize patches I would simply remove the numbers myself. But if leaving the numbers out makes it easier for you, then that is perfectly fine too.

It's not a case of whether it's easy or not for me - it's what's most useful to people in general. :)

I suppose, if the numbers are not there, no one else can add them, but if they *are* there, then at least the user can easily batch remove them with a naming utility, if so desired...

Any idea of the footprint space/size on HD such a big number of presets conversions will take?

Hmm. Quite a lot, actually.

A typical 32 patch DX7 sysex bank is 4K.

One preset saved as an aupreset file is 10K, so 32 is 320K - an 80x increase in size for a bankful.

Given the Dexed collection is just over 18MB, you're looking at 1.4GB, uncompressed (and about 60% of that compressed as a download).

What actually happens when you save an aupreset from Dexed is it doesn't just save that preset, it saves the whole 32 patches in the current bank, with the preset you saved as the selected default - so in practice, apart from the extra disk space, it doesn't make much practical difference in use, you can effectively recall single patches from the Logic preset browser - but it's not ideal, of course..

Any idea of the footprint space/size on HD such a big number of presets conversions will take?

Hmm. Quite a lot, actually.

A typical 32 patch DX7 sysex bank is 4K.

One preset saved as an aupreset file is 10K, so 32 is 320K - an 80x increase in size for a bankful.

Given the Dexed collection is just over 18MB, you're looking at 1.4GB, uncompressed (and about 60% of that compressed as a download).

What actually happens when you save an aupreset from Dexed is it doesn't just save that preset, it saves the whole 32 patches in the current bank, with the preset you saved as the selected default - so in practice, apart from the extra disk space, it doesn't make much practical difference in use, you can effectively recall single patches from the Logic preset browser - but it's not ideal, of course..

Thanx for the calculation transparency...

I always wondered why an AUPreset had to be so big in size, compared to others.

And in the end, although it is (way) more convenient to browse/search through a single/unified library, honestly how really useful is this to audition thousands of patches to select THE one...

Anyways, just a thought, not a criticism, honestly..

vsm.png

G-Force Virtual String Machine

Factory presets from G-Force's VSM string machine instrument.

Also included are the expansion presets, but these won't work unless you own the VSM expansion content. You can simply delete the two Xpansion folders if you don't want these.

Presets broken down by instrument and sound designer. Enjoy!

Hello Des - just purchased Virtual String Machine and Expansion Pack on current sale and enjoying the Logic Presets you set up. Noticed since your upload that G Force is offering free - Philicorda for Virtual String Machine soundbank to all owners. You can see download in your instruments section on their site. And quite a bit of presets with that free soundbank. Any chance you could pull those presets for Logic?

• 1 month later...
Are you familiar with the original synths these are modelled on?

- The Polymoog is a divide-down organ-technology-derived synth, most famous for it's Vox Humana sound (used on early Gary Numan records like 'Cars').

- Roland VP330 is a string synth + vocoder.

- The PolyKobol is a very rare polyphonic version of the (French) Kobol synth, and is a big sounding analog monster synth along the lines of the Memorymoog or OB8, but with more modulation potential.

So it depends what you are looking for, and what ticks your boxes - try the audio demos at least to get a feel for the character of each. The emulations are of decent quality. But in general, you'd get the PolyM if you really wanted a Polymoog and it's character (I don't). Same for the VP330 - it has a very distinctive character sound and vintage good sound vocoder - if you don't like the 70s string synths and have no use for a vocoder, then it's probably not going to be that interesting either. The PolyKobol is a good sounding analog synth and is the one I like the best... ymmv of course.

des99 - I actually purchased all three and enjoy your preference the best - the PolyKobol - but I do enjoy the other 2. And your presets all work fine. Based on my positive experience with these Xils Labs instruments in general, I am tempted to get the XILS 4 modular. Given you developed approach for other three synths, possible to do Logic presets for the XILS 4?

Any of you master logic preset creators know why in some cases when you click next preset command when you are at the last preset in a folder in the logic library that it advances to the next folder in some cases and other cases it simply goes back to the top first preset in the current folder? I would like it to always go to the next folder so I can keep on browsing and not go to mouse or computer keyboard cursor arrow. I have a next and previous preset button on my mid keyboard that keeps me in the flow.