Controlling Varispeed with Midi Controller Knob or Smart Control Knob

user90283427315d

I am using Logic Pro X version 10.7.2. I would like to be able to control the Varispeed (Speed and Pitch mode) percentage with a midi controller ideally, or a smart control knob. I have not been able to map, it seems to not register with learn mode when trying to map it either to a control surface or smart control. What I am looking to do is to be able to live control the playback speed of an audio file loaded on a track with a knob (similar to a record player where the pitch changes as the speed changes). Thanks for any help!

On 6/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, user90283427315d said:

What I am looking to do is to be able to live control the playback speed of an audio file loaded on a track with a knob (similar to a record player where the pitch changes as the speed changes)

I don't think that is something that can't be done in Logic.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dredge this up up, but I have a variation of this need to control varispeed using midi. As was stated, 'varispeed is "not a feature meant to be adjusted in real time'. But in fact you can grab it and change it up or down, and while it doesn't change speed 'in real time', what happens when letting go of the mouse, is that Logic will restart playing the section at the new speed, from the original starting point. Which turns out to be ok for what I want to use it for. (BTW, I am not trying to change pitch only speed, and of course it works fine. But there is a wrinkle...)

So here is the use case: I am learning some very complicated parts on bass, and want to be able to start a section slowly (that is to be cycled, or repeated) and gradually speed it up using a midi foot pedal (MidiCaptain).

I am able to do this in a program called 'Transcribe!' that has a very good 'slow play' algorithm in that the recorded music can play as slow as 50% of the recorded tempo and keep the original pitch, and it sounds better than logic at 50%, really.

But most of my work is in logic and I have the sections and midi parts already mapped out, along with live recorded parts. Plus I can read a score of the track as well. And Transcribe! does not allow me to change individual volumes or play isolated parts as it typically uses an entire song in a sound file.

So my current workflow in Logic is to set varispeed using the mouse, change to the score page, then play the part until I have it at the very slow tempo; then stop playing, grab the mouse, adjust the varispeed, and rinse and repeat until I get to the song's real tempo.

This may seem small, but it really interferes with repeated learning. I had the same experience as a previous poser just trying find the way to map the varispeed control to a midi parameter. Is this even possible somehow?

Apologies for the late reply. I did not know about the 'Tempo Fader'! That is a good idea and will be useful for those tracks where I am practicing with only midi parts, and when I am not playing along with audio tracks.  I'll try it out!

However I am using mainly audio tracks (along with midi tracks synced to audio 'sometimes', but not always), and remotely changing the 'Varispeed' percentage of playback remotely via midi, without changing the pitch of recorded audio, is the main thing for me in this scenario. (I guess the OP wanted to have the pitch drop also, like a turntable slowing down, but that is not my intent).

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Andy West said:

guess the OP wanted to have the pitch drop also, like a turntable slowing down

The tool for this is Remix FX...which does exactly that.

WRT Varispeed....there's only one option that's available for external control that I'm aware of....and that is the Varispeed Toggle key command.
In practice, you can adjust the Varispeed value with the mouse (or double-click/type).
With the key command you can switch between the project tempo/varispeed value.
Obvs you can assign the key command to a MIDI controller button.
Perhaps this/the tempo fader (or tempo track) might work?

Maybe ask Apple if they can add Varispeed as a Meta event to the Tempo Fader object...which you'd be able to assign to a MIDI control.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy West said:

Apologies for the late reply. I did not know about the 'Tempo Fader'! That is a good idea and will be useful for those tracks where I am practicing with only midi parts, and when I am not playing along with audio tracks.  I'll try it out!

However I am using mainly audio tracks (along with midi tracks synced to audio 'sometimes', but not always), and remotely changing the 'Varispeed' percentage of playback remotely via midi, without changing the pitch of recorded audio, is the main thing for me in this scenario. (I guess the OP wanted to have the pitch drop also, like a turntable slowing down, but that is not my intent).

Thanks!

I’m not in a position to test same, but I wonder if enabling flex time on audio tracks while using the Tempo fader could also adjust the audio track tempo as well?