I have sinned / Plugin on aux question

JamJuice1
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I've been away from Logic for about a year (I know, I suck!).  I may have forgotten how to setup and record correctly.  I would sincerely appreciate some advice.

I have a template setup that has stacks/folders routed to auxes. These Auxes are for Drums, Bass, Music, Lead. On each of those auxes I have two inactive plugins - PSP Vintage Warmer and waves L-3LL

My questions are:

- Will having these plugins on the auxes affect latency in the recording when recording live audio and monitoring via UA Console?  (I have "input monitoring" unticked)

- If I'm monitoring audio through the UA Console, do I still need to use the "Low Latency Monitoring Mode" button?

Thanks!

On 8/26/2022 at 12:37 AM, JamJuice1 said:

- Will having these plugins on the auxes affect latency in the recording when recording live audio and monitoring via UA Console?  (I have "input monitoring" unticked)

Depending on your signal routing, the plug-ins may produce latency on the R-enabled (or I-enabled) tracks, even if they are turned off - unless you use Low Latency Mode.

- If I'm monitoring audio through the UA Console, do I still need to use the "Low Latency Monitoring Mode" button?

No, you shouldn't have to. 

• Like 1

(I have "input monitoring" unticked)

Is that the "I" button on the channel strip or the "Software Monitoring" option in Logics audio preferences ? 

EDIT Or is it maybe the "Input Monitoring" checkbox in the new tracks dialog ? Anyway, make sure you turn off "Software Monitoring" in preferences when monitoring from outside Logic...

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 1

I have UA as well. Up until recently I monitored solely through Console for the fact I avoided latency issues that I would experience if I monitored in Logic.

However inside Console there is a settings menu, look for "input delay compensation." The default is medium and I've left mine there, but you might want to experiment with this to be sure.

That said as I recently learned while you can benefit from no latency in your headphones while tracking, the recorded regions might show up differently on the grid, early or late. You can tweak the recording delay compensation under your buffer settings in the Logic preferences to help ensure things are still on the grid - just gotta tweak until it works.

• Like 1

Yeah, actually as a matter of fact this is why I started monitoring through Logic, literally just this week. Once I got the settings right, it seems to be the most consistent option with the least amount of headaches. The only downside is I miss being able to simply listen to Console's plugins only while tracking (like a reverb for example). You can turn on 'rec' in Console to apply the reverb through to Logic if you're monitoring, but then obviously it gets recorded with the track, which you may or may not want.

• Like 1