Recovering Sample Library, Alchemy Presets, and EXS samples

I’ve been using Logic for a few years now and have hundreds of songs saved on an external hard drive. I went to open Logic the other day and it prompted a message I had never seen before. It asked me if I wanted to download the sample library or continue with no sounds. I already had the entire library downloaded to the internal SSD and had been using the sounds for almost all of the music I had made. I tried turning my computer off and on and still received the same prompt. 

After several attempts to solve the issue, I finally decided to just click download the library but my internal storage was too full. I panicked and started looking for solutions and found several videos showing how to move the library to an external drive. I followed the instructions of all of those videos but still was unsuccessful. 

My external hard drive is formatted for Mac but it is greyed out when I go to Relocate Library. 

The very unfortunate part is that in the videos I watched, deleting the original Logic Library folder in Application Support was part of the necessary steps. So now even when I eventually recover the Sound Library, all of my Alchemy and EXS saved presets will be gone, which I use a lot in my songs for drum samples, 808’s, etc. I’m desperate to recover these sounds as it is years of work I’m unable to open.

My main questions:

1.) Are my Logic Files/Projects recoverable if I am able to re install the library? 

2.) Would getting a brand new external hard drive and downloading the library onto it make a difference? 

3.) Will Logic give me the option to search for the corresponding files if my Alchemy and EXS samples are missing?

4.) If I buy a new Macbook and download the library, will my saved Files/Projects open properly? 

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Any presets, sounds etc you've made are stored separate from the factory library (by design), so if you deleted the factory library, your saved settings will be untouched and intact (once you've re-acquired the factory content/samples those settings may need, of course).

It sounds like maybe your Logic preferences got deleted, perhaps, hence resetting your Logic to default status.

Once you have a drive large enough to put the library on, you should be fine. Note that you generally need to download/unpack/install to the internal drive first before you relocate to another drive, so you'll need enough space on your system drive (something like 2-3 times the factory library size if you want to do it all in one go - to download, to extract, and to install the files) to do this, so you may need to temporarily move some stuff off your internal drive to the external in order to complete the process.

You don't need to do the entire library in one go of course - if you are space limited, I'd suggest just to download a little bit of content to your internal drive, then relocate the library to your external drive, *then* continue downloading more content sections bit by bit.

Logic should work as before and your projects should load fine.

Edited by des99