Alchemy vs Sample Alchemy

Chozenfew
Go to solution Solved by des99,

• Solution

Alchemy is a super complex synthesiser that supports multiple synthesis engines, including sample playback, granular synthesis, and more regular virtual analog style synthesis.

Sample Alchemy is a cut-down version of Alchemy that isn't a synthesiser as such, it does sample playback only, and has a much optimised interface for letting you play with, and manipulate samples in a more intuitive way.

• Like 3

I would say that Sample Alchemy is quicker to be creative with. Just drag and drop some audio files and start tweaking to create your own sample-based synth instrument, it's kind of a fun process. 

When you need to go deeper, Alchemy is the king, and it also has all the other synthesis power - and you can always open your Sample Alchemy settings in Alchemy to tweak them further. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, des99 said:

Alchemy is a super complex synthesiser that supports multiple synthesis engines, including sample playback, granular synthesis, and more regular virtual analog style synthesis.

Sample Alchemy is a cut-down version of Alchemy that isn't a synthesiser as such, it does sample playback only, and has a much optimised interface for letting you play with, and manipulate samples in a more intuitive way.

I wasn't aware of that.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, David Nahmani said:

I would say that Sample Alchemy is quicker to be creative with. Just drag and drop some audio files and start tweaking to create your own sample-based synth instrument, it's kind of a fun process. 

When you need to go deeper, Alchemy is the king, and it also has all the other synthesis power - and you can always open your Sample Alchemy settings in Alchemy to tweak them further. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Orourkekings said:

Awesome! I have visited Alchemy and I can definitely tell it will be a while before I find my way around.  

• Like 1

The Alchemy documentation is comprehensive and covers the myriad of functions in detail, including some conceptual stuff that might be a little difficult to wrap your head around.
While Alchemy may initially look daunting, it is very consistently laid-out....so once you've got a handle on where sources and parameter groups are positioned in the UI...you can switch between sample, granular, spectral, additive, and VA "engines" and will know that you're gonna find certain things in the same place - regardless of the active synthesis engine/engines.
Start here to get a handle on the architecture:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgsi2618652a/mac

To get you started, there's a tutorial section that steps you through different ways you can explore the synth - from simple tweaks through to elemental morphing (that's one of the "conceptual" things mentioned 😉).
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgsi9253871c/mac

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

The Alchemy documentation is comprehensive and covers the myriad of functions in detail, including some conceptual stuff that might be a little difficult to wrap your head around.
While Alchemy may initially look daunting, it is very consistently laid-out....so once you've got a handle on where sources and parameter groups are positioned in the UI...you can switch between sample, granular, spectral, additive, and VA "engines" and will know that you're gonna find certain things in the same place - regardless of the active synthesis engine/engines.
Start here to get a handle on the architecture:
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgsi2618652a/mac

To get you started, there's a tutorial section that steps you through different ways you can explore the synth - from simple tweaks through to elemental morphing (that's one of the "conceptual" things mentioned 😉).
https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/logicpro/lgsi9253871c/mac

Thanks for posting that.  On a side note, I reach for Alchemy as much as I do V Collection for sounds.  Alchemy is very underrated.  I can honestly say that if I had known how good the sounds are I might have never purchased any 3rd party vsts for sounds.

Edited by Orourkekings
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Orourkekings said:

Alchemy is very underrated.

Yep, overlooked by many - along with a number of the Logic synths/plugs.
I also have a bunch of 3rd-party synths/instruments and they do have their place - but Alchemy is a bit of a "go to" because it's so flexible and I know it well.
Retro Synth is also a fave because of its simplicity...it's very capable for a quick Juno/DX/Microwave-style patch...although doesn't sound as "chunky" or complex as other instruments (it can, to a degree, but ES2, Alchemy, Pigments, etc. are better tools).
The other synth that is criminally overlooked in Sculpture - because it "is" very cerebral and you need to work with it methodically....or it's "untamed" nature can take that sweet flute sound into chainsawing a cat territory pretty quickly (apologies to cat lovers 😉).
Sculpture is amazingly good at analog synth emulation due to the modulation options. It can emulate the drift/instability of analog oscillators - probably better than any internal/3rd-party plug, so can sound "organic" for mono/poly synth patches....pads, basses, leads, and excellent plucks.
The "trick" is to back off/remove things, rather than add them.

• Like 2