macOS Ventura out today

All modern operating systems are both "opportunistic" and "lazy."  They will try to consume 100% of available hardware resources – particularly "memory" – so long as it is free.  That is to say, so long as there is no "pressure."  Once pressure begins to develop, things begin to get interesting.

"Memory pressure" has to be relieved through the use of "virtual memory," which involves disk I/O to "swap in" and "swap out" data. (The application is not explicitly aware that this is taking place.)  But this picture has also changed considerably, since a "SSD = Solid-State Disk" drive is itself a memory chip – not an electromechanical device with associated mechanical "latencies."

Edited by MikeRobinson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good news! I jumped in the water and it is fine. Even though some are "not recommended to update" or "not officially supported", ALL mine are working.

Apogee Element 24 and Control software; UAD 2 PCI-e card and all it's plug-ins; Vienna Ensemble Pro, EW Opus & Play; Kontakt 7 & 6; Best Service Engine 2; NeoSoul Keys 2; UVI Workstation; Spitfire Symphonic Motions; Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, and Stylus RMX; Addictive Drums 2; Synths from Arturia, Cherry Audio, U-he, Rob Paper and even vintage LinPlug ones Albino 3, Crono X, and Octopus, which have been discontinued for years; all of my 3rd party FX plug-ins.

• Like 3

In Ventura (mac mini), the system font configuration is completely gone and all menus are in small text, what is bad to read on a FullHD monitor. Only text displayed on the web can be normalized.

Changing the screen resolution 1920*1080  to 1680*1050 also helps.

Monterey has  better picture than  Ventura.

Edited by olavsu1

8 hours ago, olavsu1 said:

In Ventura (mac mini), the system font configuration is completely gone and all menus are in small text, what is bad to read on a FullHD monitor. Only text displayed on the web can be normalized.

Changing the screen resolution 1920*1080  to 1680*1050 also helps.

Monterey has  better picture than  Ventura.

in the finder, go to the View menu>Show View Options, and change that text size. in system settings, type 'font' in the search window', and more options there. simple!

what's a better picture? the startup image?....

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

what's a better picture? the startup image?....

All  what can see in monitor 😉

in the finder, go to the View menu>Show View Options, and change that text size. in system settings, type 'font' in the search window', and more options there. simple!

That is veird not simple.   every desktop manager has font config. but  Ventura  has lost it.

1079485183_Screenshot2022-12-18at18_00_09.png.28d922de7de8d7f00700c055a825599d.png

I should be able to see a lot more things in this view than I can at the moment. System font settings should also be here. So that you don't have to look for these settings in all kinds of unknown places.

Thanks.

Edited by olavsu1

21 minutes ago, fisherking said:

did you try the things i suggested? (re font sizes)?

Yes, they  don't help me. They did not affect text in menus, toolbars and window headers.

only this helps:

Changing the screen resolution 1920*1080  to 1680*1050

Edited by olavsu1

9 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Yes, they  don't help me. They did not affect text in menus, toolbars and window headers.

try some of the sizing options in system settings>accessibility.

i always runs my macs with 'more space' in the display options, then bump up the fonts in the view options, etc. works fine. but accessibility will give you further options...

I found many hints, including Apple's own. but where is it:

Scale your display’s resolution to make text and objects appear larger: On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Displays in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.) On the right, select one of the Larger Text options to the left of Default.

Monterey had such options, Ventura does not.

I read somewhere, that weirding  is a polite suggestion to buy an Apple's monitor, then things will work out by themselves....

17 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

I found many hints, including Apple's own. but where is it:

Monterey had such options, Ventura does not.

I read somewhere, that weirding  is a polite suggestion to buy an Apple's monitor, then things will work out by themselves....

what monitor? the options are exactly where apple says it is in ventura. and millions of people use macs with non-apple monitors, and yet... am not seeing this complaint on mac forums.

you have the display options, the accessibility options. put them to work, and you'll be ok...

5 minutes ago, olavsu1 said:

Are you seen that:  https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/a-warning-do-not-buy-a-mac-mini-unless-you-have-a-high-resolution-4k-display.2338026/

Also a similar problem. The contents of the windows are fine, the window elements itself isn't fine.

and have you at least checked the accessibility settings? anyway, hope you sort it out 👍

3 minutes ago, fisherking said:

and have you at least checked the accessibility settings? anyway, hope you sort it out 👍

yes i look them.   they are for subtitles, not for window elements.

I don't want larger subtitles (text that is shown on top of the video). And magnifier is also not needed.

Thanks, don't bother anymore.

• Wow! 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, JorgeO said:

I've found the solution in this thread and worked ok for me: https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/721151

I followed the link and found it quite interesting. One wrote about "Planned obsolescence on perfectly working hardware" - that's pretty aptly put. There is no miracle about audio drivers, the old one should do the job if it were allowed to.

But if I think of the two adapters I needed for the FA-101, I realize that FireWire is just dead - the whole thing was more of a zombie. I am quite happy with my new Volt 4... Although it produces some RF noise at its outputs which is inaudible but can be seen on an oscilloscope. The Edirol dinosaur didn't do anything like that. The people from UA told me this would be normal and I could expect less of this only with the more expensive interfaces... But the Volt 4 sounds good anyway.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In a week or two, I am prepared to "make the jump" to Ventura, but I'd like to gather a consensus from this group first.  "If I do so, here on my humble "MacBook Pro, 17 inch, 2017," am I likely to encounter any problems?

As a "certified computer-software geek," I am fully prepared to anticipate such.  (And, for what it's worth, I don't have any "plugins" to deal with.)  So, what I really want to now know is ... "is the [muddy] ground 'stable' yet?"

Edited by MikeRobinson

27 minutes ago, MikeRobinson said:

In a week or two, I am prepared to "make the jump" to Ventura, but I'd like to gather a consensus from this group first.  "If I do so, here on my humble "MacBook Pro, 17 inch, 2017," am I likely to encounter any problems?

As a "certified computer-software geek," I am fully prepared to anticipate such.  (And, for what it's worth, I don't have any "plugins" to deal with.)  So, what I really want to now know is ... "is the [muddy] ground 'stable' yet?"

It's been stable as far as I'm concerned. 

On 3/24/2023 at 9:05 PM, des99 said:

as this awful handling/bug of some external drives in Monterey is killing me slowly...

Can you elaborate on that? I've downloaded Monterey installer BUT Im still hearing of issues on MacRumors and its for this reason Im sticking on Big Sur. I dont want to go Ventura as its still not officially supported for a few NI products and Im not sure Ventura isn't causing the same issues re External drives.

59 minutes ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Can you elaborate on that?

It's really beyond the scope of the Logic forum to go deep into that, and it's a complex issue (or range of issues, as when researching it, there are different classes of problems, some of which were caused with earlier Monterey versions but then fixed, some of which aren't Monterey problems at all but often user error - bad cables, wrong ports, defective gear etc - but also a class of issues that affect me.)

If you want to look into this, you can google something like "slow USB drives on Monterey" or similar.

TL;DR is there seems to be something deep down in the Finder or USB handling on Monterey which can cause significant problems with some USB drives. All my externals behave fine (HFS+ on spinners, APFS on SSD's) except my main archive drive, which is APFS, which is where the problem is for me. Copying, say a 2.5GB file onto this drive should take a few seconds. It can take *hours* here, when copying in the Finder, and causing the Finder/filesystem to lock up and other problems which can affect the whole machine.

(Funnily enough, using SuperDuper to mirror my system drive to this external gives the expected performance and shows no issues - I guess SD is not using the same macOS filesystem handling in this case, and writes are fine).

I'm getting by as I don't need to copy stuff onto this drive much, but it's still really annoying when I do. (Copying files onto it from my Mojave machine works as expected.)

1 hour ago, Dynamic_Notes said:

Im not sure Ventura isn't causing the same issues re External drives.

It doesn't seem like it is, from what I've read. I've got a family machine I can upgrade to Ventura though and check whether my issue is fixed there, or whether it remains, which I'll try soon.

But just because I have a specific issue, doesn't mean it will affect any given user, so I wouldn't necessarily hold off upgrading to Monterey because someone else if having an issue on it. Plenty of people don't hit this, so I'd say give an upgrade a go but as always, *back up your stuff*, and/or upgrade in a way that you can easily revert if you don't like the result.

all my externals (no ssds) are APFS, and all work fine. mostly archived work and my backup drive, but i often work on a project on the archive drives without issue.

fwiw, massive X (NI) is both native and working beautifully here on ventura; all my plugins are native (& happy).

to be fair, i have no plugin alliance stuff...

2 hours ago, fisherking said:

all my externals (no ssds) are APFS, and all work fine. mostly archived work and my backup drive, but i often work on a project on the archive drives without issue.

fwiw, massive X (NI) is both native and working beautifully here on ventura; all my plugins are native (& happy).

to be fair, i have no plugin alliance stuff...

I'm curious. What are the advantages of using APFS over hfs+ on external drives? If there are advantages, why isn't it the default option when formatting an external drive?