Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPad

Message added by David Nahmani,

Apple announces Logic Pro for the iPad, available May 23rd in the App Store as a $4.99/month subscription or $49/year with a 1 month free trial: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/

The “Download All 14.5GB” doesn’t work for me.  I have 200GB free, but it says there’s insufficient space to download the content.  But I CAN download all the packs individually (tedious).Even then, I’m not sure you can force download all of the content in one step.  There are 13 “Instrument Packs” for all the standard Logic VSTs like Studio Horns, Strings, Vintage Drum Machines, etc.

I already have a lot of this Apple content in GarageBand iPad - but the Logic installation seems unaware of what Apple content already exists on my iPad.

I realize managing only the Logic content you need is more critical on an iPad, where space might be limited for many iPad owners.

"Apple says Logic Pro for Mac will have a compatibility update today to make it work with the iPad, including the ability to open tracks with non-editable versions of Beat Breaker or Sample Alchemy, but no word on when the full version of those plug-ins will come to the Mac version."

Interesting...

I’ll be working on a YT video tonight, but I’m really not finding anything different or unique from the pre-release reviews I’ve already read.  I was already a familiar user of GarageBand iOS, Cubasis, BeatMaker3 and several other iOS “DAWs” and I can already tell Logic for iPad is likely the best iOS DAW and will dominate.  However, the notion of a traditional DAW for iOS is not exciting.  Grooveboxes like Drambo, component tools like AUM and vendor suites like Korg Gadget are more popular on an iPad.  Advocates of those iOS tools were never really asking for a DAW.

For me, having a direct path from iPad to Logic on a Mac is a big plus.  Going the other way?  Very unlikely.  Once I have a project on my Mac with all my fav 3rd party plugins and virtual instruments, there’s no way back to the iPad.  It’s a one way street!

I invested 3 years into iOS music production until I realized everything was a compromise compared to Logic on a Mac - so why bother.  I still take my iPad everywhere I go, but I also take my M1 Max MacBook Pro.  With it’s 4TB internal SSD there’s no compromise.  So although the iPad is fun, I still wrestle with why iOS music production is a thing.  iPad’s aren’t cheap.  A MacBook Pro isn’t cheap either.  Are there music apps for iOS that aren’t available for Mac - not really.

For the Apple loyal GarageBand iOS people, they’ll love the mixer and automation of Logic iOS.  The only decision will be moving from GB for free, to paying the subscription - but it’s well worth it.  In fact, I wonder if future GB enhancements are over?  Why would Apple continue to release new features for a free platform?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

However, the notion of a traditional DAW for iOS is not exciting.  Grooveboxes like Drambo, component tools like AUM and vendor suites like Korg Gadget are more popular on an iPad.  Advocates of those iOS tools were never really asking for a DAW.

Cool observations. I suspect that at the moment the GB iPad user is more likely to want a traditional DAW, rather than folks using the other tools mentioned.
I think that this will change over time for these users as AUv3 support expands  - and Gadget, et al - along with a number of desktop AU plugs become available as plugs that can be used in LP for iPad.
At that point, DAW features may become more appealing to this cohort.....notably audio-mangling.

Crystal-ball gazing - and looking at a completely different group of users....when/if LP for iPad adds notation. Pencil/portrait view, built-in sounds/input....I can see the dots and lines crowd being drawn in.

• Like 2

98% of my plugins are 3rd-party, and i've never wanted an ipad; i don't want one now. but i think this is brilliant (been watching some videos). 

just finished a session in the updated FCP; some nice new features, and working better than ever (less quirks, so far). so am glad to see apple moving things forward, and looking forward to LP 11... whenever that will be...

11 minutes ago, Totigerus said:

How do you select all regions to copy and paste?

Here are several select options.

Tap an empty part of the Tracks area and choose Select All.
Tap a region, tap Select in the dialog, then tap All.

Tap the Multiple Select button on the menu bar (looks like two overlapped squares), then tap the regions you want to copy.
Touch and hold the background, then lasso the regions.

Tap the background, and choose Select All Inside Cycle....to select all regons encompassed by the Loop/Cycle marker at the top.

On a selected track:
Tap an empty area on the track and choose Select All on Track from the dialog.
Double-tap a region, then tap Select in the dialog, then choose All Following on Same Track. All regions to the right of the selected region will be selected.

• Like 1

I must admit I'm finding this fun to use. I've been noodling away in a coffee shop this morning (via AirPods obviously, I'm not one of those speakerphone idiots) and it's surprisingly easy to pick up and start playing.

It's clearly no way near being able to replace a studio setup, and never was, but as a sketching tool to put something together that can be opened in Logic, ready to edit with all the bells and whistles, it's really quite useful. Especially for version 1.

I won't use it all the time, probably more for one-off subscriptions here and there when travelling or on holiday.

• Like 3

The YT channel of MusicTechHelpGuy posted a one hour walkthrough of Logic on the iPad yesterday. I've found his video tutorials to be very helpful and this is a nice deep dive although it is focused primarily on the beat making features (surprise). He does mention that he's OK with the monthly subscription because he would find it useful now and then but not everyday.

The link

Chapters

0:00 Overview

2:54 Pricing & Hardware

4:26 Getting Started

7:24 Step Sequencer & Sound Library

16:04 Loops, Samples & Inspector

22:25 MIDI, Instruments & Automation

30:25 Effects & Plugin Tiles

34:22 The Mixer & Sends

39:21 Beat Breaker

43:33 Sample Alchemy

45:50 Play Surfaces & Chord Strips

49:36 Recording Audio

57:32 Finalize & Export

59:40 Migrating Projects

1:00:44 Final Thoughts

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jonparadise said:

It's clearly no way near being able to replace a studio setup

That’s the right approach 😁 In my opinion all iOS music apps can be fun but serious production is still a studio task.  I’ve connected an audio interface, midi keyboard controller, and pad devices to my iPad - and it will all work - but that’s not the point.  An iPad on your lap with just the built-in keyboard, using the iPad built in mics, is really the way to use it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

That’s the right approach 😁 In my opinion all iOS music apps can be fun but serious production is still a studio task.  I’ve connected an audio interface, midi keyboard controller, and pad devices to my iPad - and it will all work - but that’s not the point.  An iPad on your lap with just the built-in keyboard, using the iPad built in mics, is really the way to use it.

i get all of that, but i feel 100% sure that some ppl are gonna make real music on their ipads, and we'll see hit songs come out of it...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fisherking said:

we'll see hit songs come out of it

I’ve listened to many album releases that were entirely made on an iPad - usually EDM, Hip Hop and Ambient genres. I think the technical challenge inspires many and some are under the impression it’s cheaper than a PC, Laptop and DAW.  But I haven’t seen any “hits” yet… maybe Logic for iOS will change that 😁

3 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

An iPad on your lap with just the built-in keyboard, using the iPad built in mics, is really the way to use it.

It looks pretty useful for live performance with Live Loops...cheaper and more compact than using a laptop plus you get the new beat-oriented features and sound packs. 

It's not clear to me, are all the sound packs included in the subscription or are they add-on purchases like the way NI and Roland do it?

1 hour ago, enossified said:

It's not clear to me, are all the sound packs included in the subscription or are they add-on purchases like the way NI and Roland do it?

At the moment, all content is free with the app, there are no in-app content purchases. My guess would be new content will be added regularly as part of the subscription, and they won't be charging for content packs, but who knows...

• Like 2