Apple brings Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro to iPad

Message added by David Nahmani,

Apple announces Logic Pro for the iPad, available May 23rd in the App Store as a $4.99/month subscription or $49/year with a 1 month free trial: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad/

2 minutes ago, user01 said:

Will the current latest version of Kontakt 7 be able to work on logic pro ipad ios?

No, NI do not make Kontakt for iOS. It is a Mac/PC plugin.

99% of third-party DAW plugins don't have iOS versions, and neither do I expect developers to flock to iOS and port their plugins if they haven't already - having LogiPad may well make the market somewhat more attractive, but the race to the bottom pricing on the desktop is nothing compared to iOS, so there are not good returns for third-party plugins on iOS for the major developers, at least at this time.

There are iOS audio plugins, just very few, and often the ones that are are different products to the desktop versions (eg, Arturia's instruments etc).

Edited by des99

In this case, I can start using the built-in logic sampler, maybe it would be better for me. we already record acoustics as audio, maybe we don't need too many konatkt libraries. at least i can think like that until i come

1 minute ago, user01 said:

In this case, I can start using the built-in logic sampler, maybe it would be better for me. we already record acoustics as audio, maybe we don't need too many konatkt libraries. at least i can think like that until i come

IMO Logic's Sampler is very powerful and much easier to use than Kontakt. I recommend you give it a try. And for simpler tasks, definitely check out Quick Sampler which is even easier and quicker to set up. 

• Like 5

I don't see the point. Maybe if you travel a lot and are used to mixing on headphones. But then you already have Garageband for free.

I have a desk full of stuff, a computer with 3 different DAW's, 1000 plug-ins, 12TB of SSD/NVME storage, pro monitors, an expensive multitrack interface, a 4k 40-inch monitor, keyboards, mixers, Neumann mics etc so I can work more or less effortlessly.

I have an iPad for reading my newspaper. And I use it when I am on holiday and want to do some culling and editing in LightRoom of the photos I took that day with my Canon DSLR. Lighter and more versatile/easier than bringing my MacBook Pro. For photos you only need software and a screen, so an iPad is adequate(not great, btw, I prefer LR Classic on a desktop). But for music? Is someone really going to record anything serious with the built-in mic of his iPad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, zipb said:

I don't see the point. Maybe if you travel a lot and are used to mixing on headphones. But then you already have Garageband for free.

I have a desk full of stuff, a computer with 3 different DAW's, 1000 plug-ins, 12TB of SSD/NVME storage, pro monitors, an expensive multitrack interface, a 4k 40-inch monitor, keyboards, mixers, Neumann mics etc so I can work more or less effortlessly.

I have an iPad for reading my newspaper. And I use it when I am on holiday and want to do some culling and editing in LightRoom of the photos I took that day with my Canon DSLR. Lighter and more versatile/easier than bringing my MacBook Pro. For photos you only need software and a screen, so an iPad is adequate(not great, btw, I prefer LR Classic on a desktop). But for music? Is someone really going to record anything serious with the built-in mic of his iPad?

not sure about the built-in mic, but people are already making pro music on their ipads in garageband... making logic on the ipad next-level stuff.

one could easily do a track and a reference vocal (with the built-in mic); or plug in an audio interface, a real mic, and do a real vocal. the possibilities are endless (or close).

if it's not for you, that's fine. and if someone makes some awesome music on their ipad in logic... that's fine too.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ManFromNapa said:

My first impression is this will be great for those who are not "instrumentalists".  That is, people who create beats, use loops, drum machines, etc...  Those who record live drums, use full sized keyboards, etc. might find this limited but I'm guessing that's the point.

Yes and no. There's the "on the road" musician scenario, and in a studio situation, this could be ideal for a guitarist to record with....or they could, of course, use Logic Remote to the big machine in the control room.
Portable music-making / the iPad presents a different opportunity and working method - regardless of proficiency with an instrument.
While devices like the MacBook Air are small and light, they don't have a touch interface....so you're forced to take a peripheral (i.e. a USB-MIDI keyboard). Given the onscreen input options available - keys, chord pads, drum pads, guitar strings, etc. in GarageBand/Logic Pro for iPad....it's an extremely portable option that can run standalone. As an external device isn't draining power, you can run longer sessions.
With this being said, an external audio interface/mic would be required for both devices if you wanted to record at a higher quality level than afforded by the built-in mics of the iPad/MacBook.
Obviously, the "use case" for everyone is going to be different - and LP for iPad isn't going to be the right tool for all people, but it is a great, creative option.....along with many other tablet/touch-based music making tools.
There's an entire community/scene of tablet-based musicians, using Gadget, Cubasis, etc. - who don't use traditional computing devices.

6 hours ago, ManFromNapa said:

Also a lot of other questions: Will it be able to act an advanced Logic Remote as well as a DAW on it's own?  Support for external audio interfaces?  How quick will there be 3rd party plugins? etc.. 

WRT using it as a remote and as a standalone tool....yes, an iPad can simultaneously run Logic Remote and LP for iPad. An alternative approach would be to sync LP for Mac and LP for iPad, or another music-making app that supports Ableton Link....and synchronise the devices in realtime.
You can quickly AirDrop stuff between the iPad and desktop machines.
There's a lot of flexibility/options in using the devices together.

As others have pointed out....and I mentioned earlier....any class-compliant device will work: audio interfaces, keyboards, controllers, etc. - i.e. if iPadOS supports the device, it'll work.

How quick for 3rd-party apps? No-one, bar the companies who manufacture these apps, plugs, etc. can answer that.
One thing that may act as a catalyst for third-party developers to accelerate development for AUv3/AU Extensions is the existence of LP for iPad.
AU development on MacOS was slow/non-existent until Logic Pro for Mac was released....and nowadays pretty much every Mac plug-in has an AU version, along with VST/AAX.
Similarly, is the ramp up in the number of Apple Silicon native plugs from 3rd party devs.
It's a chicken-egg / circle of life / if you build it they will come thing...😉

Edited by oscwilde
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 12:22 AM, Eon said:

10.7.8 means probably a minor big fixes.

Not necessarily. Remember 10.7.5? 10.7.5 gave us several new features: 

1. Free tempo recording

2. Ableton Link support

3. Record MIDI plug-in output

4. Gain tool

5. Nested track stacks

6. Pedalboard as separate plugins

7. New sound packs (Beat Tape and Modular Rhythms)

8. 32-bit file import

While initially 100% uninterested in LP on my iPad Pro, it occurred to me...

I recently came across some SY-77 samples packaged in a way that they worked with the M1 chip and iOS, but not an Intel chip.

(I used to own an SY-77 and kick myself to this day for parting with it! Long story...)

I, of course, have two Intel Macs where I do all my audio work.

But if I can work those SY-77 samples on my iPad Pro in LP, then export audio files to LP on my Macs, I'm in business!

And while not a fan of subscription services — how many have you been forced into lately? adds up, doesn't it? — to gain access to an decent digital SY-77 would be cheap at $5/month!

On 5/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, Zipfunk said:

The first thing I read is that it'll be subscription based. 

What is everyones opinion on if Logic for Mac will also be subscription based?

I feel the same way. When I first saw that Logic Pro was on iPad I thought Great! Maybe I should buy a new iPad? Then I saw the subscription and now I have no plans whatsoever to get a new iPad or to use Logic Pro on iPad. I'll just stick to my Mac version, but will be very disappointed and actually shattered if they decide to have Logic Pro on Mac Subscription based. After using it since Atari days when it first came out, I may look elsewhere. There are full time musician who are working sporadically, it would be difficult to pay on a per month basis for all software. Mac or otherwise! Ridicoulous that some people would lose their ability to work on their Software because they can't pay the monthly subscriptions. By saving & purchasing full outright software, it allows everyone to keep their current computers and keep working if they can't afford a subscription.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

IMO Logic's Sampler is very powerful and much easier to use than Kontakt.

I perfectly agree and for my personnal sampling tasks I use Sampler.

But all the major libraries, and the numerous free ones too, are on Kontakt or on proprietary players.

8 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

Actualy, yes.

May I ask if you pay a monthly fee for internet and/or cell phone access?
It could be argued that these are subscriptions, although they're generally termed as a monthly "access fee" or "service charge".
I appreciate that many may view these as necessary utilities, like power and water - but it could be argued that they're discretionary spends if looked at as vehicles for entertainment - rather than "tools".
In looking at the LP for iPad $49 annual fee, that's less than a buck a week - which is pretty cheap for something that is used for entertainment, relaxation, fun, etc. - by a hobbyist.
If it's a tool for a professional user, you'd write it off (fully or partially) on your tax bill - certainly what I do with software and hardware that I use for business (including phone/internet hardware/access).
Obviously we all have our viewpoints, but there seems to be a disconnect of sorts with being cool paying for one kind of subscription, but not another.

• Like 3

I have an idea how you can adjust your brain to justify the subscription: Imagine that you pay $50 to buy a software (which is very cheap, isn't it?), then next year pay another $50 and imagine you pay for a major software upgrade (which is also very cheap!) 😄

Edited by Eon

34 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

Yes.

And for my water, my electricity, my health insurance, my house and cars insurance, garbage collection and many other things. Like most of us.

For me it's too much now but I can understand other people can afford this.

I just want to have the choice. All those painless little expenses begin to hurt at the end of the month.

Just because I'm obliged pay annual fees for theses too many things doesn't mean I should have to pay for an another subscribtion. 🙂

Edited by FLH3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLH3 said:

Just because I'm obliged pay annual fees for theses too many things doesn't mean I should have to pay for an another subscribtion.

I hear ya, I too fork out for all of the stuff you mentioned.
This is, however, a discretionary spend - rather than a necessary spend - and while I don't "have" to spend it, I will.
My view is that I'll get it back at the end of the financial year in tax at any rate, so it's actually "free", in my case - although I'm without that $50 for 12 months, but conversely have use of the tool over that period.
I guess we both need a lottery win, then we'd buy what we wanted....and subscribe our asses off. 😉

• Like 2

4 hours ago, oscwilde said:

I hear ya, I too fork out for all of the stuff you mentioned.
This is, however, a discretionary spend - rather than a necessary spend - and while I don't "have" to spend it, I will.
My view is that I'll get it back at the end of the financial year in tax at any rate, so it's actually "free", in my case - although I'm without that $50 for 12 months, but conversely have use of the tool over that period.
I guess we both need a lottery win, then we'd buy what we wanted....and subscribe our asses off. 😉

You actually just write it off. That means you pay taxes (for example) after $45000 instead of $45050. So it is not free. It just costs you a few bucks less🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oscwilde said:

It could be argued that these are subscriptions, although they're generally termed as a monthly "access fee" or "service charge".
I appreciate that many may view these as necessary utilities, like power and water - but it could be argued that they're discretionary spends if looked at as vehicles for entertainment - rather than "tools".
In looking at the LP for iPad $49 annual fee, that's less than a buck a week - which is pretty cheap for something that is used for entertainment, relaxation, fun, etc. - by a hobbyist.
If it's a tool for a professional user, you'd write it off (fully or partially) on your tax bill - certainly what I do with software and hardware that I use for business (including phone/internet hardware/access).
Obviously we all have our viewpoints, but there seems to be a disconnect of sorts with being cool paying for one kind of subscription, but not another.

My problem in this case is the hardware is from the same company as the software. The software in this case - logic kept me buying the company’s hardware for years. I might think twice if now I have to keep buying hardware and pay for software for life at the same time. On the other hand it is great for people who wants to record music for a year or two they don’t have to pay a full price. It would be perfect if there would be also a full purchase price available and keep the software for life I mean at least using it. Just like the way it is with logic on the macOS.(for now)

Beancounters: the bane of civilization. No sub for me on desktop Logic, unless they twist my arm. 
I paid 179€ for LPX in 2013. I'm happy with that arrangement. Keep using cheap but professional software to sell their hardware. Fine. This is not fine. To me.

I really think the sub model should be boycotted without exception a la WAVES revolt last month. 
Bloody suits with calculators. THHHPPPPT!

• Like 2

You can use your iPad and your Mac simultanously, yes. I would guess it would be like running Logic on two different Macs - two entirely independent apps, which you can sync over MIDI to run together if you like, but are otherwise independent.

I don't think it works as a remote-control for Logic on the Mac, it's designed for people to run Logic on the iPad, no Mac desktop involved. Logic Remote remains the app to remotely control a Mac-based instance of Logic.

But the only things we currently know about LogiPad are what Apple has released in the press release and on their site, until it gets released, when we'll know more.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, des99 said:

You can use your iPad and your Mac simultanously, yes. I would guess it would be like running Logic on two different Macs - two entirely independent apps, which you can sync over MIDI to run together if you like, but are otherwise independent.

The only things we currently know about LogiPad are what Apple has released in the press release and on their site, until it gets released.

So it sounds like Logic Remote is more suited for want I care about. (real-time virtual guitar strumming)...and LogiPad is just for working on music on the tour bus.  Do I have that right?

1 minute ago, Totigerus said:

So it sounds like Logic Remote is more suited for want I care about. (real-time virtual guitar strumming)...and LogiPad is just for working on music on the tour bus.

I think both have that guitar strumming interface.

17 minutes ago, Totigerus said:

True, but you can't trigger Mac Logic from iPad Logic like you can do with Logic Remote. Right?

As I said above:

51 minutes ago, des99 said:

I don't think it works as a remote-control for Logic on the Mac, it's designed for people to run Logic on the iPad, no Mac desktop involved. Logic Remote remains the app to remotely control a Mac-based instance of Logic.

We don't know any more details about Logic on iPad yet.

Edited by des99

6 hours ago, Mania said:

You actually just write it off. That means you pay taxes (for example) after $45000 instead of $45050. So it is not free. It just costs you a few bucks less

Not how my accountant does things (in Oz), but this isn't the forum for discussing taxation.

22 hours ago, David Nahmani said:

IMO Logic's Sampler is very powerful and much easier to use than Kontakt. I recommend you give it a try. And for simpler tasks, definitely check out Quick Sampler which is even easier and quicker to set up. 

Plus if you have specific Kontact instruments you can’t live without you can always AutoSampler them. This is also true of any plug-in if you know the sound you want. I do this for some plug-ins for the live versions on my songs. Even if you go back and replace them with the original when you get back to the computer you had the sound you wanted on the iPad. 

• Like 2

On 5/9/2023 at 9:16 AM, Zipfunk said:

What is everyones opinion on if Logic for Mac will also be subscription based?

Whatever the last version that isn't a subscription might turn out to be would be the end of the road for me. The lack of expensive upgrades every year or two is one reason I abandoned Ableton Live for Logic.

• Like 1