Spreading sound of digital piano recording

I recently started recording a lot of my piano playing from my Roland digital piano and the sound has been very flat and the dynamics seem off (e.g. lows are very quiet)

I wanted to use my Logic Pro to somehow amplify and improve the recording but i am unsure where to start. I have watched a few vids on  mastering, mainly on the topics of compression/EQ/imaging (ozone imager?)/limiter, etc. but they all target the audience of multiple tracks/instruments. Attached the ozone imager screenshot of my track.

The recording output is in MIDI so I have to apply a virtual instrument as well which is unfortunate.

This is the recording file: SONG_060.MID

I would like to produce a lot more piano music going forward so I would really appreciate anyone that can help guide me towards the right direction of improving my sound quality.

Thank you in advance

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 7.11.13 PM.png

You can easily raise and lower velocities by using the compress and velocity settings in the region inspector (ie, compress to 75%, and scale up velocity by say 30).

(There's lots of ways of doing this kind of MIDI editing in Logic.)

This will let you even out the playing before reaching for compressors etc, which will alter the sound.

You shouldn't need to do much with a good piano sound, except add a little reverb/ambience for depth, and possibly a little EQ to taste if the sound needs it, or benefits from it. I have no idea what genre of music you do - if it's classical, you don't want to do very much to the piano, but if it's a contemporary or rock context, you can do more like compress, EQ harder etc to fit in the mix better.

Firstly, you really need to start with - do you like the basic piano sound? If not, substitute it from a better one from a sample library. Pianobook has a lot of decent, free ones if you want to go looking for something with a bit more character.

Edited by des99

@des99 Hi! Thank you so much for the response. I will try the region inspector out now. Yes, the music will be jazz/classical. I wish I could just keep the Roland's built in keyboard sound, but roland just exports MIDI so i have to leverage a VST. I will check out Pianobook as well!