So what is eveyone using for interface/midi keyboards?

I've used Arturia, NI, Nektar, ROLI, and Novation keyboards - all work fine on a basic level (and offer a direct MIDI port, in addition to USB).
None of them support transport controls and you need to manually map controllers etc.
Keys, pitch, mod, velocity, MPE, work.

This will undoubtedly change in future versions, but for now there's no "direct" support of devices - either built-in or via LUA scripts - like the desktop version.
The "dream" will have to wait a little while.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I figured this would be a "hot button" subject, given the recent developments with Logic for iPad, but I guess not! 😆

I'm surprised it took four days for someone to respond. ....but thank you for responding @oscwilde Anyways, so like, if you wanna go to your buddy's house to record him singing and playing guitar, what would be your "go to" Logic mobile set up? Basically I'm looking for solutions to record some of my friends and family that haven't been keeping up with the DAW technology of the last 30 years, but that still have some great songs in them, that need to come out. What dongle type thing do I need to make it all happen with an iPad Pro, plus some sort of mini MIDI keyboard, and an audio interface to plug in my microphones and guitars? (Sorry, I'm new to this USB-C/Lightning shizzle.) 😌

Ultra portable rig that I use is an Arturia Minilab 3 (or KeyStep 37) and Arturia MiniFuse 2x2.
USB C-C between iPad and MiniFuse.
MiniFuse has a USB port, so hook up the Minilab/Keystep to this.

Also have an Apogee ONE V2, if I only need one audio I/O. It has a built-in mic, which is surprisingly good.
Need to take along a USB-C hub if using this/want to also use a keyboard.
For just guitar/vox....it's perfect for quick sketches.

How many audio ins/outs, USB ports/MIDI ports do you think you'll need?
How often do you think you'll be "in the field"?

It's a plus of the MiniFuse interfaces that they include USB/MIDI/combo audio I/O ports, are simple to use, sound clean and colourless, and just work. There are better-sounding (and significantly more expensive) audio interfaces, of course, but for a portable rig and not a lot of money, they're a good choice.
You won't be unhappy with the recordings made with them.

The Scarlett interfaces, UA Volt, Audient, etc. are also inexpensive and clean-sounding interfaces that are popular.
The Volts have a saturation circuit built-in which can colour the sound (in a nice way), but not sure if this requires drivers at all?

A bit of an "all in one" option is the iRig Keys I/O....keyboard and audio interface.

• Like 2

Don't forget multiple headphone outs and the number of I/O's if you're looking at recording multiple people/multiple mics/insts simultaneously.
As cool as the iRig Keys I/O might be for 95% of your needs, having (or having access to) another interface with more physical I/Os may be needed for those 5 percent usage scenarios.

You can, of course, use multiple interfaces on the Mac, but I don't believe there's a way to create an aggregate device on the iPad.
Not something I've tried as I have no need for 96 I/O's when using LP for iPad 😂

Edited by oscwilde
Fixed product name

Good thinking 99.
It should, although I'd imagine there will be a small amount of monitoring latency.
I don't think this is an insurmountable problem though, as audio interfaces/the iRig Keys I/O (if you go for it), have a headphone out....so
- the person singing/playing would use hard-wired, closed cans with the interface - zero latency monitoring
- you could use BT cans/pods for engineering/monitoring during the take - "some" latency

Dunno if you've tested this to see if your tolerance to recording latency is OK with pods?
You should give it a try...just using the built-in mic of the iPad to see how it goes.
Some folks can't reconcile monitoring latency and their timing (or pitch) goes out the window, so it's very much down to the individual.

A number of small audio interfaces provide multiple headphone outs: all of the Audients, MiniFuse 4, Scarlett 816, etc.

On 7/14/2023 at 2:40 PM, oscwilde said:

You should give it a try...just using the built-in mic of the iPad to see how it goes.
Some folks can't reconcile monitoring latency and their timing (or pitch) goes out the window, so it's very much down to the individual.

Yeah I figured out a work-a-round for this, but it's really clunky and just a pain in the a$$. I'm starting to think I should have just bought a laptop for mobile recording, but the promise of "Logic on iPad" seduced me and I started thinking with my little head again. Also I just plain forgot that laptops existed. Come to think of it, now I'm suprised during last month's flurry of "Logic for iPad" rants, that someone didn't mention that we've had mobile Logic forever with laptops! 😵‍💫