Best Midi Controller for Logic? Ever been a survey?

I'm a sucker for the latest midi keyboard, pad device, or whatever.  The Osmose has grabbed my attention and I'm pretty impressed but it's expensive.  I'm happy with my Novation LaunchKey MK3 and my LaunchPad X and for mobile the NI Kontrol M32 works great and for live I use an old Roland A33 with MainStage.  I'm sure I've tried 15 - 20 midi controllers over the years.  It's a little crazy.

I know opinions are varied on midi controllers and control surfaces for Logic, and I can respect that.  Whatever works for you is best!

But, has there ever been a survey on this forum of what users find most effective with Logic?

• Like 1

I don’t know either if there is already such topic on LPH, but there are many on the web:

Being a keyboardist, the most important aspect in a MIDI controller for me is the keybed feel. That is something I wouldn’t make compromise on for whatever features. That is why I opted for a modular approach. That is of course inconvenient when gigging is the main purpose of such a quest, compared to an all-in-one controller type… 

Edited by Atlas007

8 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

Being a keyboardist, the most important aspect in a MIDI controller for me is the keybed feel

Gotcha!  Many would agree with you.  Despite my 12 years of classical piano training as a kid, I strayed from the fully weighted style of keybeds to synth and organ style keys early in my career.  Now, I use my midi keyboard in the studio just as much as a Logic control surface.  I briefly had a Faderport 16 but sold it because I found I could do what I need with the Novation Launchkey 61 mk3.  Admittedly, the keybed of the LaunchKey is light and plastic (what you'd expect for a budget controller).  The 76 keys on my Roland A33 are noticeably better, but still inferior to Fatar keybeds like the NI Kontrol S61 or S88 or a Nord.

Have you considered an MPE midi keyboard?

25 minutes ago, Nunstummy said:

Have you considered an MPE midi keyboard?

Yeah, I’m dreaming about the ideal one (for me) and the Osmose looks like the thing I’d go for. But before shelling out > $1800 (not including tax, duty, S&H, and $US/CA$ change, and what not) I’d rather dig my finger in that thing first. Also, I would definitely opt for an extended range model (88 keys), even if that implies twice or triple that price; as long as the keybed feel is right…

• 2 weeks later...

I've been very satisfied with my latest purchase – an 88-key(!) Korg that is also, itself, "a full-featured synthesizer with a built-in audio interface." (Intended, apparently, for "karaoke" ... ick.) It has a piano-style keyboard that I have grown used to, even though in my childhood I was a [Hammond M3 ...] organist.

I've enjoyed working with the library of sounds and features which are built-in to this unit, in addition to those available in Logic. The Korg is very well thought-out and makes all of this very easy.

Previously, I had purchased controller-only units for their "knobs, switches, and dials," only to discover that I never actually used them. (Even though Logic automatically knew that they were there, and would have easily allowed me to use them.) I simply never actually did it.

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

Previously, I had purchased controller-only units for their "knobs, switches, and dials," only to discover that I never actually used them

That’s fair.  A lot of people prefer a synth because it can function both as a controller keyboard and a sound source.  In my case I use all the knobs, pads, faders and switches with Logic both in the studio and for live.  I can’t imagine NOT having the transport controls for Rec, play, etc.  I think once you get used to using all the Control Surface features in your workflow - and even custom controller assignments - it’s tough to go back to using a mouse.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nunstummy said:

That’s fair.  A lot of people prefer a synth because it can function both as a controller keyboard and a sound source.  In my case I use all the knobs, pads, faders and switches with Logic both in the studio and for live.  I can’t imagine NOT having the transport controls for Rec, play, etc.  I think once you get used to using all the Control Surface features in your workflow - and even custom controller assignments - it’s tough to go back to using a mouse.

I, too, heavily rely on my Mackie MCU Pro + C4. One can do way more with those and more efficiently as well than with just a mouse or a pad. As you pointed out, those dedicated buttons for transport alone are a real game changer. Add to that, motorized faders and Vpots (instead of static faders and stop knobs) and you suddenly realize that ten fingers are much better than one pointer… Although the MCU & C4 aren’t suitable for (small) gigs they serves very well in the studio. They prove to be also very dependable and sturdy units.

(Sorry for digressing from the topic… I felt the need to plead for control surfaces usefulness.)

Edited by Atlas007

i came up as a keyboard player, but currently... i don't care. so much of what happens (for me) making music in logic has nothing to do with that role.

i've used small controllers for a long time. i had a roli lumi (just under 2 octaves) for a while & used it's MPE capablilites... then lost interest. i have the cme xkey37 for everything now; it's perfect for my needs.

i want to not play 2-handed full keyboard for every part i add to a song, so, for me, this makes sense (and i need the octave key less than on my previous 2-octave keyboards). plus it has poly afterouch... love it.

EDIT: lol, just to get on-topic: i think we all have different needs, and there isn't one 'best' keyboard for everyone...

Edited by fisherking

• 1 month later...

I do use the faders and pots on my controller – an M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 – but came here to see if there's anything on the market now that maps reliably and consistently – meaning, I'm not forced to revert to a saved control-surface Prefs file to restore the nice configuration I've created over time.

As it is now, it seems like every time, or at least every other time I use Logic, I have to either restore my CS Prefs from a backup (which I automatically save to iCloud every time I quit Logic, thanks to Keyboard Maestro) or manually reset several of the assignments.

My recollection is that CS Prefs have always been kinda flaky – or is it just mine? I'm so tired of that hassle and would dearly love a keyboard+control surface that just worked, as we say in AppleLand.

What ya got for me?

@ckbarlow:

Saving your presets as patches and using Smart Control to assign your controllers could be something to try.

Smart Control assignments are saved within a patche preset.

Thus recalling a patche will normally recall the control assignments setup for that patche.

However that is limited to the number of control assignments Smart Control features...

For controller, as previously mentioned, I rely on Mackie MCU Pro and C4 units. They work reliably.

Edited by Atlas007

4 hours ago, Atlas007 said:

Saving your presets as patches and using Smart Control to assign your controllers could be something to try.

Thanks, @Atlas007.

I’d come to that conclusion a while back myself – Smart Controls for the 8 pots and leave it at that. Seems a waste of my really nice multi-mode setup that used to work more reliably – switching the 8 pots between Smart Controls, panning, EQ, and compressor; and of course moving the faders by banks following track selection; and swapping the buttons below each fader between solo, mute, and record-enable.

The Mode Change function seems to have lost full support over the last few Logic releases, though. It’s just too frustrating to contend with anymore.

Thank you for the suggestion.

The Arturia KeyLab Essential uses a “script” according to a setup video I watched yesterday; I’d assume that’s Lua… maybe that’s a good sign.

• 3 weeks later...

One point I'd make strongly about any controller or keyboard is: "Play It." Find a local store where you can actually put your fingers on it "for more than just a few  minutes." (Maybe bring your Mac with you.) Different units are engineered to hit different price-points, and so they emphasize some things at the expense of other things. It's a tradeoff. Since you are, so to speak, going to be married to it for quite a while, indulge in a little courtship first. 🙂

If your chosen unit is USB-connected, as most units now are, you can fully anticipate that Logic will already know all about it, as soon as you plug it in. (Every USB device has a unique and known device/model identifier.)

Edited by MikeRobinson
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...