Logic Pro 10.7.9 is out!

des99
Message added by David Nahmani,

Previous version update release notes: 

Update notes to follow when they are released.

(Just says "stability improvements and bug fixes" in the App Store right now.)

Fingers crossed for a lot of fixes for common issues we've seen here recently...

Reminder: back up your current version of the app *before* updating.

lpx.gif.7ed99623ae227900faf79050bbf11b4d.gif

Edited by des99
  • Like 8

• des99 changed the title to Logic Pro 10.7.9 is out!
  • David Nahmani pinned this topic

New in Logic Pro 10.7.9

Stability and reliability

• Fixes an issue where adjusting the Threshold control in the Strip Silence could cause Logic Pro to quit unexpectedly.
  • Resolves an issue where 32-bit audio files might be damaged when adjusting their speed in Logic Pro.
  • Fixes an issue where Audio Units Software could cause Logic Pro to quit unexpectedly when MIDI 2.0 is enabled in the settings for Logic Pro.
  • Fixes an issue where Logic Pro could quit unexpectedly when Delete and Shuffle Left is performed with a Marquee selection.
  • Fixes an issue where Logic Pro could quit unexpectedly when launched with the option to create a new empty project.
  • Resolves an issue where Logic Pro might quit unexpectedly when anayzing audio files for Flex editing while running in Rosetta mode.
  • Improves stability while scanning for Audio Units.

Recording

• Recording MIDI on Aux sub-tracks of a multi output instrument now works.
  • Logic Pro no longer creates empty audio tracks when recording in Cycle mode if the recording setting Create Tracks and Mute in Cycle Mode is enabled, the audio file type is set to Wave, and there is a quantize value set.

Takes and comping

• Comp segments created by dragging from right to left now play back correctly.

Plug-ins

• The Range setting in the Pitch Correction plug-in now recalled correctly after the plug-in is closed and then re-opened.
  • Fab Filter Pro-Q settings are now retained when round-tripping projects between Logic Pro for Mac and Logic Pro for iPad.

Sampler and Quick Sampler

• The Locate button in the Sampler missing files dialog now works as expected.

Mixer

• Fixes an issue where pasted channel strip settings could be applied to a selected channel strip, instead of the channel strip where the paste command menu item was chosen from.
  • Resolves an issue where unsoloing a track in the channel strip inspector would also unsolo all other soloed tracks.

Bounce and export

• The Loudness Meter now continues to show values after a bounce.

Import

• Restores ability to assign tracks to external MIDI by pressing Option while importing a Standard MIDI file.

Apple Loops

• The content of Apple Loops dragged into projects with time signatures other than 4/4 is no longer unexpectedly offset.

Control surfaces and MIDI controllers

• Volume and Pan can now be reliably adjusted using an attached control surface or MIDI Controller in cases where the setting Record Automation with MIDI Region is enabled.
  • The Launchpad Pro Mk3 control surface now works properly with Logic Pro.

Editing

• Fixes an issue where it was not possible to access tools in the Piano Roll using the right mouse button to open a contextual menu.
  • Paste at Original Position now works in the Piano Roll.
  • The Create Note command from the contextual menu in the Piano Roll now creates a note at the pitch where the pointer originally clicked.
  • Resolves an issue where the visible area in the Piano Roll could unexpectedly shift in pitch when entering notes into the editor.

General

• Restores abiliity for regions on frozen tracks to mute when soloing other regions.
  • Auto-colorize tracks now works for Software Instrument tracks as expected.
  • The Pickup Clock key command now moves automation with regions, or asks if automation should be moved, depending on the move automation setting.
  • Regions created on MIDI tracks are now named for the track, rather than being named “MIDI region.”
  • The Tab to Transients key command now works reliably with audio files that have not yet been analyzed for transients.
  • Projects created from templates saved with record-enabled tracks now open with those tracks record-enabled.
  • Frozen Software Instrument tracks no longer continue to output audio when the track is set to Off.
  • Region borders of MIDI regions recorded in projects with time signatures other than 4/4 are no longer unexpectedly extended.
  • Like 7

the only real issue i'm experiencing (as in 10.7.8) is probably sonoma-related (and i've mentioned it here before); am assuming it's logic on the new OS, as no one else has reported it.

if i import a logic project, the imported track names are duplicated over the track names to the right (in the MIXER ONLY); an odd one, and reported (again) to apple. fortunately, i don't do imports that often.

but good to see that apple has gotten to a lot of the reported bugs quickly 👍

Screenshot2023-07-11at4_33_47PM.thumb.png.502177abb25bf7378a07281a02fa95fb.png

I was on 10.7.6 and didn’t update to .8. Just an advice for people who don’t take notice too much, although the App Store was suggesting me 10.7.9 after a CMD+R, it actually installed 10.7.8(1,14Gb). I had to go back, make another CMD+R and it installed a 400-some MB update for 10.7.9. I didn’t realize it, but there’s some heavy optimizations for M1 Pro that took place between .6 and .9 as a test song I loaded used to be in the 25% on all cores and it’s probably in the 5-7%, hard to know when they’re so low!!

Control Click Band selecting of multiple objects in the Score Editor is finally fixed!!  This was hugely annoying for months ( though I was on 10.7.5 until now).

PS Edit: Other Score Editor functionality/bugs have been fixed - Page View KC now works  with an instrument in Filter Mode without having first to create a Score Set.

Also the opening up a part  Score Editor doesnt always default for the first time to an annoyingly huge magnification, but 'remembers' what was in the Locked Screenset previously

Also to say that 10.7.9 seems to work fine on my early 2015 MBPro OSX 12.6.3

Thank you Apple!

Edited by Music Spirit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MikeShapiro said:

This is one of those releases where I'm left horrified by the bugs that were there until just now.

i had no workflow issues in 10.7.8 (i got 2 mixes done & started a new project), but i still appreciate the fixes in 10.7.9. at least the logic team is listening...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MikeShapiro said:

This is one of those releases where I'm left horrified by the bugs that were there until just now.

Did you read the release notes for the previous version? (10.7.8)

Just because there are bugs (there are *always* bugs), it doesn't mean they'll necessarily hit you - many of them will be on features or workflows you never hit.

But it does give you an idea of the challenges of working on a large-scale codebase that's been around for a long time.

6 minutes ago, fisherking said:

i still appreciate the fixes in 10.7.9. at least the logic team is listening...

For sure.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, laverton said:

I'm not seeing the update on the App Store.

Depending on where you are in the world, and what App Store you connect to, it may or may not be visible yet - Apple stages rollouts of files across the world. Are you saying your Apple Store says 10.7.8 is the current version of Logic Pro, in it's Logic page? If so, that's the reason.

If it says 10.7.9, then it should be available, but you might need to prod the app a little sometimes to recognise your version needs an update.

11 minutes ago, guavadude said:

Also, why can't apple solve the ARA issue themselves? I had only just begun to use it and appreciate how great it is. 

ARA relies on the plugin (eg Melodyne) accessing the same memory as the DAW, in order to not have to "transfer" the audio into the plugin.

With Apple silicon, plugins no longer run in the DAW's process, they run isolated outside the DAW by macOS, and thus have no way "into" Logic to get at it's audio data.

This means, some new method of being able to get that communication working would need to be developed and supported by both the DAW, and the plugins, to work, unless some kind of technical solution can be found (unlikely, because for security reasons, macOS doesn't let processes access other processes' memory space.)

So it's not a simple thing to implement - the entire way that ARA works is made impossible by isolating the plugins - so you have to currently resort to the older way of transferring audio in without ARA, or run with everything under Rosetta, in which case the plugins are once again loaded into the DAW directly.

Edited by des99
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, des99 said:

ARA relies on the plugin (eg Melodyne) accessing the same memory as the DAW, in order to not have to "transfer" the audio into the plugin.

With Apple silicon, plugins no longer run in the DAW's process, they run isolated outside the DAW by macOS, and thus have no way "into" Logic to get at it's audio data.

This means, some new method of being able to get that communication working would need to be developed and supported by both the DAW, and the plugins, to work, unless some kind of technical solution can be found (unlikely, because for security reasons, macOS doesn't let processes access other processes' memory space.)

So it's not a simple thing to implement - the entire way that ARA works is made impossible by isolating the plugins - so you have to currently resort to the older way of transferring audio in without ARA, or run with everything under Rosetta, in which case the plugins are once again loaded into the DAW directly.

that's exactly how i was going to explain it, only without words, and using this detailed illustration...

a918dc27c8c0df13b6b54ebbae715558--the-stage-symbols.jpg.d3a28831bb59946c62666b74128684bc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

22 hours ago, fisherking said:

what works? and how are bug fixes not evidence of  'better'? 🤔

10.7.8 fixed one thing from 10.7.7 for me, but broke a couple of others. 1 step forward, 2 steps backward. I stayed on .8 because the step forward for me was bigger than the 2 steps back.

An upgrade is not necessarily better for a random user. Logic is everything and the kitchen sink, stuff gets fixed, stuff breaks and you might never notice it, or it may be a showstopper bug or really important fix for you.

I never use the newer clips(is that what it is called?) stuff so if that breaks or gets fixed I won't even notice. 

Or timecode stuff. Haven't used tc in 20 years. Or score display and editing. Haven't used that since the Notator days.

The built-in synths(ES1, ES2, the Logic drumcomputers etc). It would probably take weeks before I would notice if they took them out.

I'm still on Intel and will be for a while so all Mx improvements go unnoticed.

Anyway, it's not a problem at all. I keep older versions around so if I can just go back if I don't like the new version.

• Like 1