Controller Assignments

LogicIsDoomed
Go to solution Solved by LogicIsDoomed,

Using m new Korg NanoKontrol 2, I mapped a bunch ofLogic key commands to the buttons on my Nanokontrol 2.
See attched screenshot.

The midi maps worked fro about 1 day.

Now when start LPX, NONE of my assignements are working.  My nanokontrol is connected but when I push a button on it, no key commands are being sent OR sometimes when I push play or record on my NanoKontrol 2, it defaults to acting as normal transport functions (play, record, FF, rewnd, etc.) which is NOT the key commands that assigned those buttons to do.

How can I get LPX to always use the midi assignments that I created specifically for my NanoKontrol 2???

Other QUESTIONS: 

a) See attached screenshot and notice that there are a ton of other assignments showing in the controller assignment windo.  I did NOT set these up.  They seem to automatically have been created by LPX. Why is this?  Is this normal?  The only assignments I created was for my NanoKontrol 2. 

b) In the controller assignment window, under "ZONE" the very first assignments is  (No Zone).   When I click on No Zone, it shows all the very same assignments I created for my NanoKontrol 2.  Why is this???  

Help Please.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 10.29.25 AM.png

Edited by LogicIsDoomed

5 hours ago, LogicIsDoomed said:

SOLUTION:

1) Deleted previously created "NanoKontrol 2" assignments.

2) Created a new zone.

3) Redid all my NanoKontrol 2 controller assignments.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Glad to hear that it’s working. @simoncroft suggested in his book to trash your old controller assignments preferences file and start fresh, then back it up regularly. It sounds like he’s gone through the pain of Logic Controller Assignments spontaneously changing themselves too. 

6 hours ago, airforceguitar said:

Glad to hear that it’s working. @simoncroft suggested in his book to trash your old controller assignments preferences file and start fresh, then back it up regularly. It sounds like he’s gone through the pain of Logic Controller Assignments spontaneously changing themselves too. 

@airforceguitar Thanks for the tip! Will do! :)

13 hours ago, airforceguitar said:

Forcing LPX to create a new Preferences files is indeed a good way of ensuring you're starting from a 'clean slate'. Alas, it's not s lot of help if you've already written a shed load of Assignments and have no desire to start all the way back at the start! 

Glad you got your problem sorted, @LogicIsDoomed. If anything is going to 'break' it always seems to be a Mode. I had one I couldn't write a Mode Change to, no matter how many times I tried. In the end, I left the Mode in place and created one with a similar name I used instead. That sorted my problem. 

As for backing up, I keep two Aliases on my desktop – one a shortcut to the Preferences folder and the other where I keep a safety copy of every significant revision to the LPX Preferences file. 

Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 18.44.41.png

• 2 weeks later...

The problem has retruned!

My Korg NanoKontrol 2 assignments hae once again STOPPEd working. 

TROUBLSHOOTING STEPS:

1)  I tried installING my backup copy of my "com.apple.logic.pro.cs".    That worked before, but now does not do anything.

2)  I tried installING my backup copy OF my backup of my "com.apple.logic.pro.cs".   Even then backup copy of my backup does not resolve the problem.

3) I uninstalled "Korg nanoKONTROL2  Logic Plugin" because I want to use my NanoKontrol 2 as a CC controller and key commands controller, rather than using it as a default controller for LPX's transport and mixer.

4) Deleted the NanoKontrol 2 under [File>Control Surfaces>Setup]... I deleted "nanoKontrol2" surface

5) Under [File>Control Surfaces>Settings>Midi Controllers]....I deleted model name "nanoKontrol2"

6) Rebooted Mac, then Rebooted LPX

7) Rebooted my NanoKontrol 2, then rebooted LPX.

8) Also, implemented the instructions laid out in the video linked below and still LPX will not see my controller assignments.

My NanoKontrol 2 Assignments.png

NanKontrol 2 Craziness 1.png

Edited by LogicIsDoomed

In the "setup" window, make sure "New > Automatic Installation" is unchecked. If I where you I would try:

• 1. Disconnect all midi stuff
  • 2. Delete the .cs file to start fresh
  • 3. Start Logic and uncheck the above mentioned auto install 
  • 4. Uncheck the Nano in Settings > Control Surfaces > Midi Devices
  • 5. Connect your Nano
  • 6. Rebuild your assignments
  • 7. Quit Logic and backup your .cs file
Edited by JakobP

Click on one of your assignments to see what the MIDI input port is. Correct it if it has changed on your system.

It looks like you are using your nK as a control surface, which is why Logic has created those assignments, as well as trying to overlay a new bun ch of assignments on top. Like I said above, you should either use your device as a control surface, *or* a generic MIDI controller only, you can't do both, unless you really want to customise the existing functionality and design in your new functionality in a way that wont clash with all the existing setup - this is not for the faint-hearted, and requires a really good understanding of the system.

• Solution

Here's what I did to solve the problem of my controller assignments not working...

1) Deleted the auto-generated NK2 controller assignments.

2) in "Control Surface Setup" under "NEW" menu, I disabled "Automatic Installation".

3) Rebooted LPX

4) Under "Logic Pro" menu > Control Surface >  Settings > Midi Controllers
I DEselected "nanoKontrol2" which when enabled, auto assigns controllers for NK2.

5) Recreated my NK2 controller assignments from scratch for the 21st time. What a tedious, 1 hour long process each time.

So far, so good!  All is working flawlessly in the last 3 days.

6) Made a backup of my LPX CS file.

Much Thanks everyone for sharing all your insights and tips! VERY HELPFUL!

Edited by LogicIsDoomed
  • Like 3