edit timing of multiple midi notes

TomBK

Hi all. Using Drum Machine Designer, I laid down a nice kick-drum beat. I'm now adding snare. My rhythm is fair, not tight. The track is 4/4 time with divisions set to 16. I am using the piano roll to get my snare hits just right. On the piano roll, I have the "Snap" set to 1/64. Let's say I want the snare on the second division of the first beat on tick 181. The playhead position in the LCD would read 1 1 2 181   2 1 2 181   3 1 2 181... I may not be using the terms "beats" and "divisions" correctly, but I want the LCD to read as I've listed. If the song were 8 bars long, I could adjust each snare beat's timing individually. But for a typical-length song that is a scary thought. Is there a way to adjust all the snare beats at once?

This is a bit of a toy example. I could fix this by looping an edited bar or two. But there are situations when looping isn't the best, like if I wanted to adjust the same one note of a chord that's repeated many times while leaving the other notes of the cord unchanged.

Edited by TomBK
clarification

8 hours ago, TomBK said:

But there are situations when looping isn't the best, like if I wanted to adjust the same one note of a chord that's repeated many times while leaving the other notes of the cord unchanged.

A useful command when this happens is to turn your loops into real copies (Edit > Convert > Loops to Regions or press Control+L).

Another feature that could help is snapping to relative value. Click your Snap pop-up menu at the top right of the Piano Roll, and make sure that Snap to Grid, Bar, and Snap Notes to Relative Value are all checked. Now you can easily Option-drag a note on 1 1 2 181 to 2 1 2 182 or 3 1 2 181 etc. 

You can also quantize notes to the nearest 1/64th note location on the grid. In the Piano Roll inspector, set the Time Quantize menu to 1/64 Note, select the desired notes and click the Q button (or press Q).

Screenshot 2023-11-14 at 8.51.19 AM.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TomBK said:

Let's say I want the snare on the second division of the first beat on tick 181.

For this specific case, use the MIDI Transform window set up like this and press the "Select Only" button (the "Subposition" basically disregards the Bar part and selects every note at x.1.2.181, x = 1,2,3...). Now all those snare hits are selected and you can edit them together. image.thumb.png.52c6a1408fa16966cf52e310741cde12.png

Edited by polanoid
  • Like 1

Thank you @David Nahmani. For quantizing the notes, unfortunately, my timing isn't so good as to have the nearest 1/64 Note be the one I want it to be. (e.g., it may be closer to the previous or following 1/64 Note.  Thanks @polanoid! I think this gets me closer. My issue though is that I want to set the positions of all the snare strikes to be that subposition, because that's where I want them to be. But my timing is not precise enough to do that during recording. So I would want to select all the snare strikes, not all of which land right where I want them, and then transform their subposition to be x.1.2.181. Luckily, my snare strikes are all mapped to the note A2, so it's easy to select them in the MIDI transform window. Once they are selected, though, I can't figure out how to operate on them to lock their subpositions to x.1.2.181. 

I can see how I could operate on them all to set their velocities, pitches, lengths, etc. to a fixed value, but not how to nudge them into place. Is there a way to do that?Screenshot2023-11-14at8_11_25PM.thumb.png.85c36d985e4e1227f7994cc24c21057d.png