Tracks and region flicker graphics error/glitch

Moritz Wenzel

My Logic Pro version shows a strange graphics error, where the regions and track start to flicker. Logic is the only program on my mac, which shows this behaviour. On the image, you can see when the tracks and regions partially disappear. However, irl it's more of a flickering.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Best,

Moritz

7B440489-2054-4B48-83CE-0586C4928180_4_5005_c.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Moritz Wenzel said:

Hi again!

I went to a mac repair shop and they said it has to be a software issue, since the error only appears in logic. What do I do now? ^^

You should really go to an Apple store. Apple makes both the hardware (your Mac) and the software (Logic Pro) so they have no way out of that one. And you can also tell them that this is not a known but in Logic Pro. 

On 11/3/2023 at 4:44 PM, jamiegingell said:

I'm getting the exact same issue.  Assume its a bug with Logic as no other program or the OS is affected and this didn't happen prior to Logic 10.7.9.  Hopefully they will fix in the next update.

• Mac mini, 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • Sonoma 14.0

Ugh 😞 So I see one common point between you and the OP, you both are running Logic Pro 10.7.9 on Sonoma on an Intel machine. Maybe this is the combination that triggers that bug? 

Just noticed Sonoma 14.1 is available, so will see if that rectifies the issue.

David has alerted me to this thread. I was discussing my Sonoma / Intel graphics problem elsewhere. 

Insofar as my issue is the same (and based on your screenshot, it is), Sonoma 14.1 does not fix this. I have observed the problem on four different versions of Logic, from 10.6.2 up to the most recent release of 10.8. 

Sonoma gets a lot of love on this forum. We are sadly filing a minority report. 

Graphics Issue in Sonoma 14.1.gif

Edited by Plowman
typos, added gif for Apple bug report
  • Like 1

Moritz, I spent some time on Apple tech support this afternoon. He suggested removing all other Logic Pro programs, and he alerted me that Sonoma 14.1.1 was just released, which I loaded. We'll see if that helps. 

Unfortunately, I can't invoke this graphics bug. It happens randomly. Usually it appears about fifteen minutes to a half-hour into a session. 

Edited by Plowman
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting. The more, the... well, the more, the better our chances of getting Apple's attention.

But I have no solution. I spent my day (and probably tomorrow) rebuilding my drive from scratch with Ventura 13.6. If the problem goes away, at least that's one piece of the puzzle. 

The box score says the two points of commonality are 1. Sonoma and 2. Mac Intel. Logic 10.8 is less likely a culprit, since I experienced this on previous versions of Logic too (same computer with Sonoma). 

I sent Apple a bug report and linked this thread two days ago. Yesterday I had an Apple Support call of about forty-five minutes. He said he had not heard of this issue. His focal point was the residual Logic Pro versions I had resident on my computer. I was surprised by his query since everyone on this forum routinely trouble-shoots with several versions available.

In any case, removing all but one Logic Pro on my computer had no effect. 

I wiped my drive (deleting Sonoma) and installed Ventura 13.6 running Logic 10.7.9. (I'm on a 2018 Mac mini with an Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB). 

Since this complete rebuild, all graphics issues have stopped, and that with the very same song file on which the previous chaos took place. 

Recall that several Logic versions (from 10.6.2 upwards) on Sonoma 14.0 and 14.1 evidenced this bug, so I don't think Logic 10.8 is at fault specifically. (And I have a less-than-microscopic interest finding out.)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Plowman said:

Since this complete rebuild, all graphics issues have stopped, and that with the very same song file on which the previous chaos took place. 

Ok that's good to hear, thanks for sharing this experience. 

On 11/12/2023 at 6:15 AM, Plowman said:

His focal point was the residual Logic Pro versions I had resident on my computer. I was surprised by his query since everyone on this forum routinely trouble-shoots with several versions available.

Yes that's obviously the wrong focal point. Having multiple Logic Pro versions on your hard drive doesn't affect how Logic Pro runs. 

On 11/12/2023 at 6:15 AM, Plowman said:

In any case, removing all but one Logic Pro on my computer had no effect. 

Ok exactly as I would have suspected. 

So in conclusion, it seems safe to assume this issue is tied to the intel+Sonoma combo. At least now we know to avoid that. 

3 hours ago, higuywhatsthestory said:

Any sense whether Apple will try to find and fix the Sonoma/Intel bug?

It's hard to tell. I could imagine that it's probably not going to be their highest priority. Still I think the most important factor is how difficult/time-consuming it would be to fix the bug. If it's quick and easy, no doubt they'll fix it. 

Agreed on all your points. In my experience, this bug would show up about thirty minutes into the session — the bane of diagnostics. Catching it in a GIF was like reeling in a prize bass.

It occurred to me after the fact that the same graphics card is mentioned in this thread. So we are saying “Intel,” but there’s a whole lot of Intels still out there, and we three reporters remain outliers, so it may be Intel + our specific graphics card.

Friday, I sent an email follow-up to my tech support guy at Apple. I intend to report back here if I hear anything. I asked if he could escalate the matter. 

On the good side, Ventura 13.6 and Logic 10.7.9 have been quite durable. 

What am I missing in Logic 10.8? The update mentioned that the KC’s for articulation assignments per note now work in Piano Roll…. Sometimes small gifts are the most cherished. 

7 hours ago, higuywhatsthestory said:

Yes. I'm more worried that it might be hard to track down and that they won't take the time. Is it worth adding more complaining voices?

I would suggest the more complaints received the more likely it is that it will get more attention.

• Like 1

It was particularly bad over the weekend.  I had to restart my mix sessions over 15 times on the weekend due to this issue.  I've given up for now and exported stems out to work on them into a third party DAW which has no similar issues.  And to think I bought a Mac and Logic for the compatability and seamless workflow.  Oh the irony.........😭

Same Problem here!!! Macbook 2019

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Since the last Updates from Logic and to Somona 141.1 this problem f**ks my workflow!

I think they really forgot about compatibillity from Macbooks without M-processor.

They have to know!

I can't work like this.