All Versions of Logic Lagging on MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1

TimeForMusic

Big disclaimer that I am on a 2013 Mac Pro running MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1. I used OpenCore Legacy on a secondary SSD to create a fresh install of Sonoma so I could test out a clean install of Logic 10.8. Overall, MacOS Sonoma has impressed me and most of my apps run better than ever. 

Unfortunately, the new install of Logic is beyond laggy (scrolling, meters are choppy, clicks take a second to register, etc) in projects with a decent number of tracks such as my empty template. The "Take a Day Trip" demo project lags as well. Logic is sadly unusable. 

Curious, I opened Logic 10.5.1 on this Sonoma SSD and the same lag occurred. Same with 10.4.8. Opening the same projects on my usual Mojave SSD results in no lag. 

Everything else (other apps and system functions) on my Sonoma drive is without issue, and might even be faster than my old drive. It is just Logic running MacOS Sonoma. 

I will note that I did copy over from my old drive the following from my Audio Music Apps folder: Custom Icons, Channel Strip Settings, Articulation Settings, Key Commands, Patches, Plug-In Settings, Project Templates, and Sampler Instruments. I removed these but the lag still occurred. Besides copying those initially, I am running a fresh install of Logic 10.8.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, or know what I could look into to isolate or fix this? I again acknowledge the obvious hardware hack here, but the fact that only Logic is experiencing lag on this SSD is odd to me. 

Edited by TimeForMusic

10 minutes ago, Atlas007 said:

IIUW, you installed Sonoma and Logic on an external drive?

You installed Logic 10.8 by downloading it from your Apple account?

Does Logic shows some peaking in the performance VUs?

1) Yes, Logic and Sonoma on an external SSD. This is identical to my previous setup, which was Logic and Mojave running off an external SSD. 

2) Yes, Logic 10.8 downloaded from the App Store.

3) Not at all. I'm not even getting system overloads in the "Take a Day Trip" demo project, but it's all laggy. Half the time when I try to drag the cursor selector it does nothing. Half the time when I shift+click to a position, Logic doesn't catch the "shift" (or think I'm dragging the mouse) and I realize it's just dragging the cursor selector instead. Especially if I have the mixer open in another window (pretty essential and typical for me previously), navigating up and down tracks with arrow keys is very delayed and will skip around. Feels like it might be a graphics-related issue but I'm not entirely sure. 

Edited by TimeForMusic

1 minute ago, Atlas007 said:

Well, having a trashcan Mac, I was considering the OpenCore option for a while. TBH, after reading the caveats, I found quite hazardous (in my case) to undergo that route. Now, with your report about the result you got, I can say that it seals for good that eventuality for me…

I have to reiterate that OpenCore has worked very well and everything else on the machine is working perfectly. I'm trying to understand why Logic alone is being targeted with all this lag... maybe there is some setting I'm forgetting to toggle, I don't know. 

I wonder how previous versions of Logic would run if you had not installed LP10.8 at all after installing Sonoma?

Now that LP10.8 have been installed, it probably changed something in Sonoma which now affects all Logic versions.

I would try to start from scratch. Format to zero the partition (if that makes sense) to proceed with OpenCore and Sonoma installation. Then, install LP7.9 (or earlier versions) to test it (them) before installing LP10.8.

"All Versions of Logic Lagging on MacOS Sonoma 14.1.1" = clickbait.

The answer for your query would more likely be here ... https://github.com/dortania/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/discussions

or here ... https://mrmacintosh.com

P.S. I wonder if this may have something to do with love for INTEL machines being phased out?

P.S.S. Have you tried Logic Pro 10.8 with an Open Core Legacy patch of Ventura macOS version 13.6.1 (final version)?

Screenshot.png.7b7f962fa4eeb88be77a1cdfdc03d4f2.png

https://swcdn.apple.com/content/downloads/14/43/042-82952-A_GEJ3YDGEVG/cxed0qvmvtdvuix3xskr6zz1o4nc8fwry0/InstallAssistant.pkg

Edited by Richard Herczeg

On 11/16/2023 at 4:03 PM, Richard Herczeg said:

P.S.S. Have you tried Logic Pro 10.8 with an Open Core Legacy patch of Ventura macOS version 13.6.1 (final version)?

Thanks for the idea! Guess what, I tried this and it's working great on Ventura

Which is odd to me -- why something about Sonoma would break things on my hardware. 

I wonder what that means? 

15 hours ago, Dan Banan said:

I fixed by Post-install Root Patch, see picture below.

Thanks for the reply, sadly Post-Install Root Patching was already applied, and re-doing it did not fix the issue. Wow though, you're on a MacMini 2012 running Sonoma and no Logic lag issues? 

5 hours ago, TimeForMusic said:

Which is odd to me -- why something about Sonoma would break things on my hardware. 

Thanks for the reply, sadly Post-Install Root Patching was already applied, and re-doing it did not fix the issue. Wow though, you're on a MacMini 2012 running Sonoma and no Logic lag issues? 

Nope, works fine.

7 hours ago, TimeForMusic said:

Good to hear. Ventura, with respect to Open Core Legacy Patcher, is locked in and solid. Sonoma is the "work-in-progress - new kid on the block" and prone to "I don't love INTEL" tantrums. 

Your OP got me curious so I tried a fresh install of Ventura 13.6.1 on an old 2011 MacBook Pro. It seems to be quite OK and, dare I say it, happy. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well i believe this issue is with intel machine i have 2019 iMac with sonoma 14.1.2 compatible with my machine... but still i am getting this lagging and slow performance only in logic pro x (all version from 10.4.8 to 10.8.1) every version of logic is acting slow response.. zoom in and out is very slow .. scrolling is also very slow ... if any help please do share 

8 hours ago, shinu said:

Well i believe this issue is with intel machine i have 2019 iMac with sonoma 14.1.2 compatible with my machine... but still i am getting this lagging and slow performance only in logic pro x (all version from 10.4.8 to 10.8.1) every version of logic is acting slow response.. zoom in and out is very slow .. scrolling is also very slow ... if any help please do share 

Thanks for chiming in!

100%, same experience, and yes I wonder if it has to do with intel.

Any intel users here with Sonoma running a very smooth Logic Pro (all versions)?