Tracks and region flicker graphics error/glitch

Moritz Wenzel

29 minutes ago, Ian McKenzie said:

Of course all my settings and templates were gone

Your templates are not gone when removing the com.apple.logic10.plist preferences file, what happens is that by default (and after trashing Logic's prefs) Enable Complete Features will be disabled in Settings > Advanced. Once you re-enable that, your templates will be visible in the Choose a Project window (under "My Templates").

29 minutes ago, Ian McKenzie said:

com.apple.logic.pro.cs

I'd be really surprised if the Control Surfaces prefs file had any impact on any of this.

Still, glad to hear this appears to have solved it for you too, though! 👍

J.

Edited by Jordi Torres
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

Your templates are not gone when removing the com.apple.logic10.plist preferences file, what happens is that by default (and after trashing Logic's prefs) Enable Complete Features will be disabled in Settings > Advanced. Once you re-enable that, your templates will be visible in the Choose a Project window (under "My Templates").

Thanks.  I was hoping they were still there somewhere!

8 minutes ago, Jordi Torres said:

I'd be really surprised if the Control Surfaces prefs file had any impact on any of this.

Agree.  But I saw a suggestion somewhere to delete that also.  I'll try putting only that back and relaunching again now I'm fairly sure there is a fix here.  Not sure if it's recreated it anyway but I'll check first.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ian McKenzie said:

I'll try putting only that back and relaunching again now I'm fairly sure there is a fix here.  Not sure if it's recreated it anyway but I'll check first.

No need to put it back unless you had any assignments or CS prefs you want to recover.

The file is indeed recreated from scratch upon launching Logic after deleting it, same as with the other prefs file.

J.

• Like 1

Update - all was good and well, then I plugged my midi controller in (Roland a-49), and all hell broke loose.  I saved my project, quit logic, went and deleted those 2 files again, and re-opened my session.  Hopefully it stops, but looks like I'll be back to square one most likely.  Just wondering if the midi controller had something to do with it, or if that was coincidental?

1 hour ago, lewkdee said:

I plugged my midi controller in (Roland a-49)

Assuming Ventura or Sonoma?
https://www.roland.com/au/support/by_product/a-49/updates_drivers/87f76f5c-6b20-4f80-9954-bd655bb40c7c/

Also note the user guide addendum which has a LOT of corrections:
https://www.roland.com/au/support/by_product/a-49/owners_manuals/754561b1-8dde-4807-a261-ee7cb18d23e0/

6 hours ago, lewkdee said:

Sonoma 14.2.1.  I have been flicker free for the past 3 hrs, until now, when everything just went batshit again.  I am thinking it doesn't have anything to do with the Roland, as I have the correct driver installed etc.  here it is again, worse than ever:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz752MZay-A

Oh no!  Were you using the A-49 just as a keyboard or did you map any controller settings?  I had my Yamaha Montage connected throughout when I tested it yesterday and all was fine.  I was just using it as a keyboard and sound card though.  No controller mappings.

6 minutes ago, JakobP said:

And this is still true when problem occurs ?

Yes.  Only change I made (from when it was OK) is I went from Simplified Mode to Enable Complete Features.  The issue started soon after that change.  I've gone back to Simplified Mode (and restarted) for now and I'll keep it there for the rest of this session.

Only asking since I've experienced Logic "jumping around" many times caused from my hacking in the control surface assignments 😄 (The cause of this "jumping/flickering"  behavior was always an assignment with the "Key repeat" checkbox enabled, making the assignment repeat until a corresponding cc with value 0 was sent...)

Nothing elaborate here.  I don't use controllers / control surfaces - other than the Montage being used as a midi keyboard (in addition to its internal sounds coming in via its audio over usb capability).  I do have it set up as an aggregate device with my RME Fireface though.

Edited by Ian McKenzie

• 2 weeks later...

I stumbled upon this and I'm having the same issue, except my whole workspace in the arrange window goes blank and only shows regions when I'm scrolling up and down, sometimes opening the mix window and then closing and re-opening the arrange window helps, but the the yellow cycle selection and my ruler are still left blank......  often times when I stop playing the playhead often is left well past the end of the project, this started lightly in Ventura, I only updated to Sonoma hoping it would solve the issue and it's worse. I've deleted the plist and cs files in user/library/preferences already. I'm on a 2019 mac pro which is intel. I did notice that the problem doesn't show on empty new projects that don't have 3rd party plugins, unfortunately it's unreal for me to not use 3rd party plugs when producing. I desperately need to get this solved.

Yes actually, I downloaded the app, however, it says it's only for MacBooks with dual gpus... I have a mac pro. The app won't even open on my computer. Either way.... I figured it wouldn't be a hardware issue because it only happens in logic, no other app is effected.

Edited by uglyJ

May I assume you mean OS Sonoma 14.3.1? You said iOS, which currently is 17.3.1. 

Good to hear, and thanks for sharing. You might want to put your set up in your profile. I'll be cheering that it's like mine... though my foray into Sonoma was so disruptive, I'm still reluctant to leave Ventura.

This afternoon I began working with Logic 10.8.1, which will still run on Ventura 13.5 or higher. (I have 13.6). It was only to start running Mastering Assistant, so I do not expect meaningful feedback on any bugs. 

12 hours ago, Jordi Torres said:

Sorry about that. To be honest, I was not sure it would apply in your case but suggested it anyway.

J.

No worries, it was worth a try.

18 hours ago, lewkdee said:

Since the iOS 14.3.1 update, everything has been smooth sailing here....

Updated to 14.3.1, still the same issue.

I just removed the .plist and .cs files again, and it's working without issue at this point... all is Well. We'll see if it continues.

Edited by uglyJ
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping to hear if there is any new insights on this issue (e.g. perhaps 14.3.1 with regenerated .plist & .cs files provides lasting relief?).

(I have a 2018 Mini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, with Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, so I've been sticking with Ventura while watching this thread.)

25 minutes ago, Akitru said:

Bumping to hear if there is any new insights on this issue (e.g. perhaps 14.3.1 with regenerated .plist & .cs files provides lasting relief?).

(I have a 2018 Mini 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7, with Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB, so I've been sticking with Ventura while watching this thread.)

For the most part, I don't get the error. However, when I work on a big session, it still sometimes occurs. Restarting logic solves the issue, but it's still annoying sometimes.

So for my needs, it is in a workable condition. However, if you have a setup that just works without issues, I would not change anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akitru said:

What Logic version are you currently on? I've had no end of problems since updating to 10.8.1 on my Intel Mac Mini (same spec as yours) although I'm on Sonoma. As well as the well-documented graphics bugs I get regular system overloads on projects that were fine before - at least a few times a session Logic crashes midway through recording. I used to be able to run large projects, with multiple virtual instruments, 100+ tracks, hundreds of plugins without issue. 

I went back to 10.7x and all these problems went away. Maybe I'm just unlucky - but after 10+ years of daily use this is the first time I've had really major problems. Each to their own though!

2 hours ago, jonesytest said:

What Logic version are you currently on? I've had no end of problems since updating to 10.8.1 on my Intel Mac Mini (same spec as yours) although I'm on Sonoma. ...

I'm on LP 10.8.1 but staying with Ventura.  I've had no issues, though I can't claim to have done exhaustive testing with it.

• 2 weeks later...

So guys I've yet to find a solution for this, I just wanted to report back. 

What works for me for some reason is going to 'Window' on the menu bar, and then selecting 'Open main window'.  I then exit out of the first one and everything works fine from there. However, I have to do this with every project I open. But it works.

*Sometimes I have to select 'open mixer' from the window tab(not the tab button) and then exit out of the main window, and then re-open the main window. 

Again, not a solution, but a temporary work-around that works every time and it's good as long as the project's open.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ian McKenzie said:

I'm not really sure what has changed but the problem seems to have disappeared for me. At least for now...

Sonoma 14.4.1 and Logic 10.8.1.

I took a gamble and updated to 14.4.1, and whilst not totally fixed, Logic is running much better for me too.