Tracks and region flicker graphics error/glitch

Moritz Wenzel

4 hours ago, Tim Golla said:

Same Problem here!!! Macbook 2019

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Since the last Updates from Logic and to Somona 141.1 this problem f**ks my workflow!

I think they really forgot about compatibillity from Macbooks without M-processor.

They have to know!

I can't work like this.

Can you see in Activity Monitor if your mbp is using the integrated or discrete graphics when this happens ? (All mbp i9's seems to have discrete graphics as well as integrated, and switches between them automatically) 

EDIT You should be able to set it to always use the discrete graphics in system settings...

Edited by JakobP

• 2 weeks later...

I got the same problem. 

• MacBook Pro 2019 13“ 256gb i5 2.4GHz

• and the latest version MacOS Sonoma

• Logic Pro 10.7.4

I only got my Apollo connected witch means that nearly all my plugins that I use comes from there and every time I start a session after 15-20min it starts to flickering and I can’t move anything I don’t know what can I do.

Can anyone help me with this?

Unfortunately, the only remedy I have found is a return to Ventura 13.6.

Note that you have an Intel processor like those represented in this thread. Another similarity you cite is surfacing of the bug about twenty minutes into a session. 

Sonoma 14.2 just came out, but I have lost enough time diagnosing this. OS 13.6 and Logic 10.7.9 have been a sturdy match thus far. 

As a postscript, I never heard from the Apple tech. I was not filled with hope when he said A. he takes a lot of Logic calls, and B. he'd never heard of Logic Pro Help. 

One can imagine how low a priority an Apple Intel bug has in an Apple silicon world. 

• Sad 1

I have the same issue.  Had some issues with slowness on my Mac.  So I backed up, reloaded, upgraded, installed Logic, and now am getting the same errors described in this thread.

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

Sonoma 14.2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, cali_vybbez said:

Hey bro, did u ever find out a solution to this problem? I'm having the exact same issue and I'm about to go on tour in a couple weeks and I need Logic while I'm performing live?

Unfortunately, Logic still does this strange behaviour, but not as often. So at the moment for me it is in a workable condition, but still shows this problem once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2024 at 8:54 PM, a f said:

Sonoma 14.2.1 / Intel Core I7 / Intel UHD Graphics 630

LogicPro v. 10.8.1 

No I'm not living this with LogicPro,Apple software 😳

I have the exact same setup as you, and Logic is virtually unusable. It was rock solid until updating to 10.8.1, but now I have constant crashes, parts of the mix window disappear at random, plugins flicker and controls become invisible. Totally destroyed my workflow. 

15 hours ago, rAC said:

@jonesytest time to revert to the rock solid version you were using then.

That is what I've done. It's not a long term solution though and it would be good to try and pinpoint the problem that several of us are experiencing so that it can be resolved. 

It's hard to capture as it's so sporadic but in this particular screenshot you can see part of the problem.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 at 13.41.10.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jonesytest said:

It's not a long term solution though and it would be good to try and pinpoint the problem that several of us are experiencing so that it can be resolved. 

As far as I can tell, the problem is linked to using the combination of the latest macOS (Sonoma) with an intel Mac. All we can do is report it to Apple (https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/) and hope that they'll fix it. 

• Like 1

Found a workaround. This might also point to the root of the issue.  Using gfxCardStatus to keep the graphics locked in 'Discrete only' mode seems to stop this glitching problem from occurring.  For me at least on Intel Macbook Pro 2019, Sonoma and Logic 10.8.1.  I do find that graphics are otherwise jumping between Discrete and Integrated which seems to be the root of the issue.

Edited by pmf
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, pmf said:

Using gfxCardStatus to keep the graphics locked in 'Discrete only' mode seems to stop this glitching problem from occurring. 

That's great news! Hopefully that can help others in this thread that are experiencing the same issue. Can you detail how to proceed to keep the graphics locked that way? Thank you!

10 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

That's great news! Hopefully that can help others in this thread that are experiencing the same issue. Can you detail how to proceed to keep the graphics locked that way? Thank you!

Yes using gfxCardStatus which is a simple menu bar app, switch it to Discrete Only.  That's it.  No more issues unless I forget to launch it.  It can be used to switch graphics modes at anytime in your workflow.

https://gfx.io/

Screen Shot 2024-01-19 at 16.26.20.jpg

• Like 1

You're welcome, @Plowman. I looked around on everymac.com, and the Intel Macs that only use integrated graphics seems to be: all MBAs, all MBP 13's, all Minis,  (almost) all iMac 21.5' from 2017 and on. MBP 15 (and 16) inch and iMac27 models all seem to have discrete graphics and should be able to use the workaround... (of course the Mac Pro too...)

Edited by JakobP
  • Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 9:09 PM, JakobP said:

You're welcome, @Plowman. I looked around on everymac.com, and the Intel Macs that only use integrated graphics seems to be: all MBAs, all MBP 13's, all Minis,  (almost) all iMac 21.5' from 2017 and on. MBP 15 (and 16) inch and iMac27 models all seem to have discrete graphics and should be able to use the workaround... (of course the Mac Pro too...)

Hi guys! I tried to download this app on my Mac Mini 2018 | Intel UHD 630 1536 MB | Sonoma 14.2.1 and the app shows "Unsupported Machine" so I wasnt able to solve the problem, any other solution to fix this bug? And is it Apple working on a new update to fix this bug? 

THANKS A LOT! 

I'm using a 2018 Intel Mac mini with Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB.  Having the same problem and Logic has become unusable for me.  Using Ableton in the meantime.  I've just reported it to Apple (Logic) via the link provided elsewhere in the thread.

So good news to everyone who is experiencing this work flow killer...I just got off the phone with apple support (1-800-275-2273 US), and they had an immediate fix having to do with deleting the plist, which so far is working.  Give them a ring and they will help you out!

I would happily read any users’ reports that this works. My concern is that it’s a plain vanilla tech support response to a deeper issue. Another problem is that I experienced the bug up to a half hour into a session, so I could not test the fix easily.

I look forward to real-world feedback. Until then, I must stay on Logic 10.7.9 and Ventura 13.6.

Edited by Plowman
Version correction

I moved both 'com.apple.logic.pro.cs' and 'com.apple.logic10.plist' out of ~/Library/Preferences/ to a temp folder on my desktop (so I could move them back just in case) then launched Logic.  Of course all my settings and templates were gone but well over an hour into a session and the problem has not manifested.

• Like 3