Logic Pro 10.8 is out now!

David Nahmani
Message added by David Nahmani,

For an overview of how to use the new features in Logic Pro 10.8, read the following article: 

42 minutes ago, Deif said:

New version requires 13.5 or later. Crap.

For anyone still running Monterey and not ready to jump to Sonoma, it looks like you can still get Ventura 13.6.1 from this link. 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-ventura/id1638787999?mt=12

Thank you!

And you can also get Ventura in its .pkg form here: https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-ventura-13-full-installer-database-download-directly-from-apple/

1 minute ago, Holger Lagerfeldt said:

(...still skeptical since they claimed this before)

Yes. It's not like there's only one single situation that needed to be fixed. It's quite a complex maze of different routing possibilities, so apparently they fixed one more which is great, but that doesn't mean there aren't some situations where there will still be issues. We'll see. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mmm42 said:

That said: ARA is not just depending on changes in Logic Pro, but also on Celemony and macOS.

Yes, if AUHostingService needs some hefty upgrades to let ARA plugins running isolated get access to Logic's audio data, I'd infer that *probably* it's something that won't get changed in Sonoma, but if it's going to happen, it's probably more realistic to happen at least in the next macOS major version.

(If something happens sooner of course, then it'll be a nice surprise!)

9 minutes ago, Glenn L. said:

I'll have to consider whether updating my OS is worth it. Monterey and Logic 10.7.7 work fine for me.

Good  and very valid question. Which follows the main one: Do you need the New Features in the New Logic?

I'm currently downloading Ventura on my 2nd machine (my laptop vacations' mac)

If every thing goes well (UAD and Apollo drivers, some plugins) I'll update my main desktop.

Slip Tool is pretty cool. I can see that being useful. It would be really nice though if you could see a Slip value in the Region Inspector because I can't see anyway to undo if you do something by accident or what have you. Would be nice to have a numerical value you can tweak. Mastering Plugin is nice but there's maybe a little too much "magic" in there in that so much is hidden from view. A tool like that that does things automagically is great but there's not much opportunity for the user to learn from (outside of EQ) the tool because the interface isn't totally transparent about what is occurring.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MikeShapiro said:

Ugh, the Mastering plugin appears to have a dedicated interface slot whether you want it or not. Even if you don't remove the plugin, the slot is staring at you in the face at all times. Anyone find a way to remove it?

Consistent with the MIDI FX, Audio FX, Instrument, EQ, Sends and Group slots. It's subjective but a useful design layout to me.

Edited by 60s Pop Man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Holger Lagerfeldt said:

Slip looks cool.

However, I only get excited about this:

Delay. Compensation. With. Side. Chained. Plug. Ins. Is. Now. Calculated. Accurately. 

(...still skeptical since they claimed this before)

💯 finger crossed this is FINALLY fixed. 🤞

can someone confirm. Just sold my Mac and waiting on an M3 

8 minutes ago, 60s Pop Man said:

Consistent with the MIDI FX, Audio FX, EQ, Sends and Group slots. It's subjective but a useful design layout to me.

It's not that consistent though.

The Mastering "slot" is not really a slot at all, it's more of a shortcut button kinda like the Gain Reduction Meter, or the EQ Thumbnail: you click the button, and it inserts a Mastering plug-in in the last available slot of the Audio FX section. You can insert more plug-ins after the Mastering plug-in, or move the Mastering plug-in to any slot you want in the Audio FX section. The Mastering plug-in doesn't have a dedicated slot. 

Unlike the dynamic plug-ins or the Channel EQ you insert with their own shortcuts though, the Mastering plug-in does not appear anywhere in the Audio FX plug-in pop-up menu, so the only way to insert it is from that shortcut button. 

I suppose that could be because you're supposed to have only one Mastering plug-in? But you can freely Option-drag the Mastering plug-in to insert multiple ones on the Stereo Out channel strip. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

The Mastering "slot" is not really a slot at all, it's more of a shortcut button kinda like the Gain Reduction Meter, or the EQ Thumbnail: you click the button, and it inserts a Mastering plug-in in the last available slot of the Audio FX section. You can insert more plug-ins after the Mastering plug-in, or move the Mastering plug-in to any slot you want in the Audio FX section. The Mastering plug-in doesn't have a dedicated slot. 

Unlike the dynamic plug-ins or the Channel EQ you insert with their own shortcuts though, the Mastering plug-in does not appear anywhere in the Audio FX plug-in pop-up menu, so the only way to insert it is from that shortcut button. 

I suppose that could be because you're supposed to have only one Mastering plug-in? But you can freely Option-drag the Mastering plug-in to insert multiple ones on the Stereo Out channel strip. 

It is an oddity. I appreciate that it's not fixed at the bottom of the strip, even if the "launch button" is. 

What would make me feel better about these shortcuts (including the dedicated EQ/compression affordances on individual tracks) is letting us remap them to third party options. Or remove them...

3 minutes ago, MikeShapiro said:

What would make me feel better about these shortcuts (including the dedicated EQ/compression affordances on individual tracks) is letting us remap them to third party options. Or remove them...

The best thing to do is send in Feedbacks to the Logic team. Development is always a balance when making decisions for a varied userbase level, and making these things configurable also add complexity. I just look at this like a region parameter I'm not using - the parameter (or button in this case) is still listed *should* I want to use it, and otherwise I ignore it.

But if it's something that you feel will get in the way and causes you a problem, or could be implemented better, send in some feedback about it. 👍

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, des99 said:

The best thing to do is send in Feedbacks to the Logic team. Development is always a balance when making decisions for a varied userbase level, and making these things configurable also add complexity. I just look at this like a region parameter I'm not using - the parameter (or button in this case) is still listed *should* I want to use it, and otherwise I ignore it.

But if it's something that you feel will get in the way and causes you a problem, or could be implemented better, send in some feedback about it. 👍

Feedback to the Logic team is dev/null.

Whereas grousing to my colleagues has positive psychological value. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Good to know thanks I thought it might not be movable.

sample alchemy is the best. been playing with it since release. beat breaker is very cool too. i wish with the slip tool we could for instance draw a bunch of 1 bar chords. Then cut them at each a bar and be able to slip to a different chord but it doesnt remember the other notes in the region when you make the cut so theres nothing to slip to. shucks. This is a really cool update.