Logic Pro 10.8 is out now!

David Nahmani
Message added by David Nahmani,

For an overview of how to use the new features in Logic Pro 10.8, read the following article: 

1 hour ago, AMD said:

That's Apple for you. Giveth with one hand, and taketh away with the other.

To be fair, Apple isn't taking away anything, only giving away something new for free, that you may or may not be able to use depending on your current hardware. 

1 hour ago, ermetic said:

IMO it's a bit absurd that I can not update on Monterey, 2years old OS...

Logic Pro 10.8 uses APIs that are not available pre macOS 13.5, hence that limit. The choice they've made isn't to arbitrarily limit older versions of macOS, the choice they made is to take advantage of some newer APIs in the newer macOS versions. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Yes. Logic 10.8 is out and I would have really appreciated Logic not updating automatically. I have a masterclass to give on vocal editing in 10 days and ARA technology is not working (yet again). I am on a Apple M2 Max, running Logic on Rosetta, which had sorted the problem; OS is Ventura 13.5.2 - I need this SORTED. Anyone knows some work around this problem, or how to downgrade to Logic's previous version? I can't possibly spend hours transferring vocals. Also I know how to use Melodyne without ARA but have no idea how to use Vocalign Ultra. 

Logic doesn't update automatically, but if you have set your App Store preferences on your Mac to update App Store apps automatically, then the App Store will do as asked.

You should be able to retrieve your older version from your system or time machine backups, if for some reason 10.8 under Rosetta is not working the same for you under Rosetta (it should be though).

What's the specific problem you are having in 10.8 under Rosetta, that you weren't having in 10.7.9 under Rosetta?

Edited by des99
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ersin said:

Ventura is quite a solid os for logic. It’s especially stable as of right now and for me been the most compatible for old plugins with Rosetta 2. I’m able to run plugins from 10 years ago that stopped working on Mojave so for anyone worried about commuting to update don’t hesitate. I can’t say the same about sonoma.

My experience is reversed here. Ventura was OK for compatibility, bar a few plugs that were unstable.
Logic on Sonoma is faster/snappier, CPU load balancing works better, and plug compatibility/scanning and stability is improved with a couple of plugs (NI, notably) that were a little bit flaky on Ventura.
Guess it might be dependent on what plugs you use.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, oscwilde said:

My experience is reversed here. Ventura was OK for compatibility, bar a few plugs that were unstable.
Logic on Sonoma is faster/snappier, CPU load balancing works better, and plug compatibility/scanning and stability is improved with a couple of plugs (NI, notably) that were a little bit flaky on Ventura.

I'm so glad I skipped Ventura and went straight from Monterey to Sonoma. 😂

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, des99 said:

Logic doesn't update automatically, but if you have set your App Store preferences on your Mac to update App Store apps automatically, then the App Store will do as asked.

You should be able to retrieve your older version from your system or time machine backups, if for some reason 10.8 under Rosetta is not working the same for you under Rosetta (it should be though).

What's the specific problem you are having in 10.8 under Rosetta, that you weren't having in 10.7.9 under Rosetta?

ARA technology isn't working. I'm still running under Rosetta. I rebooted the computer, restarted Logic etc but it made no difference. So if I go back to a backup say from yesterday afternoon it should reinstall Logic old's version, correct? I'll check how to untick the automatic updates, thanks! 

5 minutes ago, Val Del Prete said:

ARA technology isn't working. I'm still running under Rosetta.

I just tried it here, Melodyne ARA in 10.8 under Rosetta, and it works fine here for me, just the same as 10.7.9. When you say it's "not working" for you, what specifically do you mean?

So if I go back to a backup say from yesterday afternoon it should reinstall Logic old's version, correct?

Yes, or you can just restore the Logic Pro app from yesterday, no need to revert everything.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, des99 said:

I just tried it here, Melodyne ARA in 10.8 under Rosetta, and it works fine here for me, just the same as 10.7.9. When you say it's "not working" for you, what specifically do you mean?

Yes, or you can just restore the Logic Pro app from yesterday, no need to revert everything.

Well both Melodyne and Vocalign won't have the ARA technology, as if I wasn't running Logic under Rosetta. Actually one of my friends on facebook posted about it and he has the same problem. 

Thank you so much, I'll try to restore only Logic to yesterday's version. But I still don't understand how to set the updates to non automatic on the apple store 😞 

Well both Melodyne and Vocalign won't have the ARA technology, as if I wasn't running Logic under Rosetta.

? I don't understand, as it works here fine. Do you see the "Melodyne ARA" plugin? I'm wondering if your app update has gone back to running natively (Rosetta checkbox unticked). (Logic displays "Rosetta" in the splash screen when running as an extra check).

But I still don't understand how to set the updates to non automatic on the apple store

See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202180

How to turn on or turn off automatic updates on your Mac

- Open the App Store.
- From the menu bar at the top of the screen, choose App Store > Settings or App Store > Preferences.
- Select or deselect Automatic Updates.

Edited by des99
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

I'm so glad I skipped Ventura and went straight from Monterey to Sonoma. 😂

Early Ventura had some minor problems here, but it's been smooth sailing since ≥13.3 (at 13.6.1 now).

As always I'm terrified of updating to a new major release, in this case, Sonoma.

Edited by Holger Lagerfeldt
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, sunbrother said:

Ventura did introduce some kind of thread scheduling issue on Apple Silicon that affected DAW use a bit as intermittent core spikes. It might be limited to certain plugins because I have a couple small songs that do it and a couple that are bigger that are totally fine. It’s hard to say whether it will affect you or not.

the threading is apparently fixed on sonoma. im on ventura as well so i cant confirm the few sonoma reviews ive seen from a music production standpoint have mentioned this though. 

2 hours ago, just20 said:

Is the plug-in Pitch Correction also improved in sound or just only the GUI?

the pitch correction was improved in 10.7.8 or 10.7.9 i forget. so they gave up the new algorithm with the toggle between the new and old algorithm. which they still do give us that choice but now theyve just upgraded the UI. 

fwiw, i worked in logic (and final cut) all thru ventura (betas and all); same in sonoma (betas and all). i do feel that sonoma is more stable overall, faster in places (altho some 3rd-party plugins cause logic to load projects slowly).

anyway, 10.8 is good so far (i dive in for real later this week). looking forward to checking out the 'new'...

• Like 1

Has anyone confirmed if the sidechain latency issue is actually fixed?

I'm still on Monterey so can't check.I wasn't planning on updating yet but this might get me there faster if it's sorted.

I'll probably jump straight to Sonoma but am concerned for third party plugin issues with (Arturia,NI,Softube,UAD etc)

Just now, laverton said:

If you give me a specific test case that causes problems for you, and I'll test it.

I didn't really run into the issue much, but I'm aware it revolves around complicated sidechain routings wiht latency-inducing plugins, but nothing more specific that that, as it doesn't happen in all cases.

1 minute ago, laverton said:

I'll probably jump straight to Sonoma but am concerned for third party plugin issues with (Arturia,NI,Softube,UAD etc)

I haven't really seen any third-party issues with Sonoma.

12 minutes ago, laverton said:

I'm still on Monterey so can't check.I wasn't planning on updating yet but this might get me there faster if it's sorted.

its been fixed for me. just wait for holger to have more time with it and im sure we will know for certain. i think by the wording in the update post and the way music tech help guy says it in his video that theres still a flaw to it. i would imagine the notes would look more confident if they had fixed it completely like: we have fixed pdc and it now operates correctly in every scenario in logic pro.

1 hour ago, des99 said:

I tried to reinstall Logic from a backup from yesterday but it still opened with version 10.8. I am running it under Rosetta, I checked now. But still ARA isn't working. It means when I open melodyne in ARA version (I can see the version) it will open as the normal melodyne without ARA asking to transfer the vocals. When I open Vocalign Ultra (ARA) it opens with the sidechain mode. I am really desperate. An entire day wasted and deadlines accumulating, I'm a topliner and vocal producer so this is really 50% of my work I can't do properly 😞 

1 hour ago, des99 said:

? I don't understand, as it works here fine. Do you see the "Melodyne ARA" plugin? I'm wondering if your app update has gone back to running natively (Rosetta checkbox unticked). (Logic displays "Rosetta" in the splash screen when running as an extra check).

See: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202180

I managed to untick the automatic updates and tried to reinstall Logic X from one of my backups from yesterday before it updated to Logic 10.8 but it didn't work 😞 also I had to reinstall all the applications? I used migration assistant but could not find a way to open the folder with the applications to select just Logic. Even so after reinstalling I rebooted and restarted Logic but it still started in version 10.8 😞 I hadn't "deleted" Logic from the system before reinstalling, as I assumed it would replace it automatically. I open melodyne and vocalign and despite I do see "ARA" when I open them, they open as the versions without ARA (sidechain for Vocalign and "transfer button" for melodyne). Thank you guys for trying to help, really appreciate it 🙏🏻