Logic 10.8 Issue #1 I found: bouncing is slow

k0d3g3ar

I'm running Logic 10.8 on a Mac Pro 2019 (Intel) beast.  This machine has 48GB of memory, 20+ cores, etc.  Basically about 80% maxed out.  Storage is on a OWC Softraid array, on an internal PCI-e enclosure with high speed Nvme drives in it.

I upgraded both MacOS Ventura to the latest security patch, and then Logic to 10.8.  Prior this machine didn't break a sweat on anything I threw at it.  But after these upgrades, I'm getting System Overflow errors all the time (mainly with Plugins like "The God Particle" and some Waves plugins.  Yes, I know - I'll contact each of the plugin manufacturers to get updates, report bugs, etc.

But the biggest issue I noticed is that the Bounce speed is terrible.  I used to be able to bounce a 1 hour single channel audio track with SSL plugins (Channel strip, Bus compressor) and also some iZotope De-Plosive stuff, in about 10 minutes.  Now it is taking about 45 minutes.

I get the feeling that the more Apple move forward with the whole Silicon Mx line up, the more likely us old Intel folk will be picking up the pieces of poor performance or untested code.  Maybe I'm wrong, but this was not a good experience for me so far.

Anyone with similar or contrary experiences running on Intel based hardware?

1 hour ago, k0d3g3ar said:

Anyone with similar or contrary experiences running on Intel based hardware?

It's not just Intel. There appears to be something odd in Ventura as far as pro audio apps and plugins goes. I'm on an M1 Studio and I have multiple songs where I was happily mixing and all of a sudden trying to play from any given part of the song would result in immediate System Overloads, even if I froze every single track. If I closed and reopened Logic it went away. I'm not adding any plugins. So I think it's more of a current macOS reliability issue and a plugin devs with Ventura thing than an Intel vs. Apple Silicon thing.

4 minutes ago, sunbrother said:

It's not just Intel. There appears to be something odd in Ventura as far as pro audio apps and plugins goes. I'm on an M1 Studio and I have multiple songs where I was happily mixing and all of a sudden trying to play from any given part of the song would result in immediate System Overloads, even if I froze every single track. If I closed and reopened Logic it went away. I'm not adding any plugins. So I think it's more of a current macOS reliability issue and a plugin devs with Ventura thing than an Intel vs. Apple Silicon thing.

never had that happen on my m2 mini pro in ventura (nor, fwiw, in sonoma...). 

5 hours ago, k0d3g3ar said:

I'm running Logic 10.8 on a Mac Pro 2019 (Intel) beast.  This machine has 48GB of memory, 20+ cores, etc.  Basically about 80% maxed out.  Storage is on a OWC Softraid array, on an internal PCI-e enclosure with high speed Nvme drives in it.

I upgraded both MacOS Ventura to the latest security patch, and then Logic to 10.8.  Prior this machine didn't break a sweat on anything I threw at it.

Can you clone your system drive on to and external SSD and try out Sonoma also just to see if there are any key differences? 

BTW, thanks for posting your findings. I think I will try updating my 2018 Mac mini i7 and see how it behaves. I really wonder if it would run better under Sonoma compared to Ventura, despite so many manufactures recommending to wait...

• David Nahmani changed the title to Logic 10.8 Issue #1 I found: bouncing is slow
3 minutes ago, loukash said:

There's no need to clone to external. APFS can create volumes directly on the boot drive on the fly. Then install Sonoma onto it.

Well, it would be a fast test is the point... no need to install all the drivers for interfaces and plugins, just clone and try it out...

You realize that Apple Silicon is much different than the old Intel machines, one of the big benefits was being able to clone a system and update just to try it out on an external drive without having to alter your Boot drive!

Edited by onewave

12 minutes ago, onewave said:

Apple Silicon is much different than the old Intel machines, one of the big benefits was being able to clone a system and update

Hm… is it really just an M-chip-vs-Intel thing and not a Ventura thing?

I know I can easily clone Catalina (and earlier) on my 2012 MacBook, but I can't clone the Ventura base system volume on the new MacBookAir M2. I can only clone the "Volumename – Data" volume. The base system needs to be installed separately. 
Been there done that already, and it was a p.i.t.a. Eventually I made the external SSD clone bootable and clonable but it required a few attempts using the "combined powers" of SuperDuper and ChronoSync. 
Quickly installing MacOS on a separate internal volume is pretty easy, on the other hand.