Quantization Change?

soupmachine

In the past few months, there seems to be a change in the way quantization works in Logic.  I noticed it first a few months ago on one of the computers I use, and then upon updating to 10.8 on my main mac it started happening there too.  The issue is that it no longer quantizes to the correct value; for example, if I set the quantize value to be 1/8, it will quantize to 1/4 instead.  So notes that are between quarter notes will be snapped to the quarter beats. Can anyone help me with this? 

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/22/2023 at 11:22 PM, soupmachine said:

In the past few months, there seems to be a change in the way quantization works in Logic.  I noticed it first a few months ago on one of the computers I use, and then upon updating to 10.8 on my main mac it started happening there too.  The issue is that it no longer quantizes to the correct value; for example, if I set the quantize value to be 1/8, it will quantize to 1/4 instead.  So notes that are between quarter notes will be snapped to the quarter beats. Can anyone help me with this? 

Thanks

I just reported this to logic. It's a huge issue / bug since 10.8. And it is not related to "swing" amount. 

It also breaks using "swing"... Cuz you have to set the value to 32nd notes in order to properly quantize 16th notes... but then, when you add swing to that, it throws everything completely out of whack.

4 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Can you share an example with a screenshot? 

Sure, I will post 2x cuz it's not allowing me to upload more... 4 screenshots, in order....

1) unquanztied (how I played it)

2) quantized to the 16th note (see it snaps to 8ths)

3) quantized to 32nd note (finally snaps to 16ths)

4) trying to then use "swing"... moves random notes instead of the proper 16th note back... the issue being, you have to switch back to 16ths, but then, see number 2... everything snaps back to 8ths.

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.06.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.06.30 AM.png

6 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

CScreenshot2023-12-14at9_06_39AM.thumb.png.c67539b5d3cfe5499a7448fbdfc1a5e0.pngan you share an example with a screenshot? 

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 9.06.53 AM.png