Weird audio result in Live loops...

Easy Velvet
Go to solution Solved by Easy Velvet,

Hi there! Ok... i'm on Logic 10.8.1, M1 2nd gen, Ventura, and work on heavy live sets within Live Loops: Each set might have around 20 channels, 700 loops, more or less 25 tracks and last 2-3hours. Heavy duty set...
So, here is a problem i encounter on and on: Let's say my project is at 90bpm/Bm.
Most of it is rolling pretty well, but sometime, as i drag let's say a drone ambient audio loop from my apple loop library that is let's say 100bpm/Am, (i choose for the example a big difference in tempo and key, but it doesn't seem to be sooo related) > the loop will adjust to the project Tempo and Key. Great. More or less...

Many time, the audio of this loop "adjusted" in my project is pretty twisted, (not just at it is expected to be in "logic preview", fair enough, algorithms can't save it all!), sometimes, even silent gaps are created here or there in the dragged loop. Hopefully most of the time it's not (transient elements seems to be quiet ok, even if containing a Tonal info). But it become more a problem on melodic or drone elements: cello, orchestral, ambient...

My workaround for this, is to exit the project for a moment, open a new empty project, set the tempo for this example to 90bpm/Bm,
and drag the drone audio loop 100bpm/Am to the project from the Apple Library in the Timeline usual section. ...And then, as expected: the sound is good when played back. So, I render it as an apple loop, at 90bpm/Bm. Close this project, re-open my Live loops set project, look for the loop, and drag it to the Live loops section and all sound great. But it's a serious losssss of time, mostly as my heavy live set project can take a while to open with so many loops.

I could, in the info of that cell, turn off the Flex & follow, but enjoy the editing of that loop later on in the edit window...

I wonder if anyone encounter this issue, and maybe found a trick, WITHIN the project to get a better and quicker result.
For sure this issue is following me since the early days of Live Loops few years ago, so might not be cause of the versions of the OS or of Logic Pro X.

Check this pic: I just opened one of those projects, and dragged a loop into my project (that plays at the tempo and key and display perfectly in "Logic Preview", you can see the waveform of it down in the right corner), and you can see in the edit window how it appears, with the visual silent gap, that is also there in the audio... No matter if i drag it to the Live Loops section or to the Timeline section. I dropped the original of that loop and the bounce result of it after dragging it in the project (in mp3 converted audio for space).

Thx for your time! And keep on with Magic!

Live Loop Audio bug.png

Edited by Easy Velvet

• Easy Velvet changed the title to Weird audio result in Live loops...

No unfortunately, it does not: it comes that way and stay that way, except if i turn off the flex option (any option of the flex turns it in a weird different very unwanted sound design style! he he he... new trick? i would love too!)

Thinking that it could be because of the intricate template that have been evolving since more than 3 years (so created maaaany Logic Pro versions ago, in fact from 10.5), i even recreated the complete project template from scratch, tracks, stacks, busses, aux sends, plugins... and slowly imported track by track all the loops from the "old" project and the "today" version of it. It all works, but the problem remain the same!

Here are the pics with all for flex option...

Wait, even more interesting: If i do the same operation, dragging the same exact loop that adjust to the project, with the new template but clear & EMPTY of any loop, it works just fine!
Could it be that the project is kind of "saturated" from all the loops and edit i have inside, and that it just does not process well the new loop coming in???

1.Flex off.png

2.Flex On.png

3.Flex On align bars.png

4.Flex On Align bars and beats.png

Edited by Easy Velvet

1 hour ago, Easy Velvet said:

Could it be that the project is kind of "saturated" from all the loops and edit i have inside, and that it just does not process well the new loop coming in???

Hard to tell honestly…

Logic does indeed have limits in terms of tracks etc. Probably nearing them makes it become flaky.

Anyhow, those huge templates workflow isn’t my cup of tea…

The time one saves from setting up a project mix, is lost in troubleshooting issues caused by  overloading their system with these huge templates. My 2 cents…

Edited by Atlas007

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Found the solution: i was missing the point of the different flex modes of each tracks in my live set.
Select a track / Inspector: track, flex mode / choose the right one according to the cell content.
Thanks!