Monitoring Logic through my analog mastering chain

rocwatson
Go to solution Solved by CwC Studio,

Hi all,

Excited to say I expect my new Mac Studio to arrive next Tuesday. I appreciate everyone's help with my last issue with my old iMac. While I have some downtime I am trying to solve a situation that has baffled me what seems like forever. I want to be able to monitor my logic projects through my analog chain. Antelope Orion 16 line outs > RND 5057 > RND MBP > RND MBC > SPDIF IN Antelope Orion. I set up 8 stereo aux's to feed the chain in my Logic template. The way I used to do this was create an audio track to bring back in the stereo feed from my MBC, that way I could record the summed result. Similar to this Dangerous Music Tutorial. 

The problem with this is that I always have to have this channel selected to monitor output. Is there a way to return the MBC sum to a different input separate from the Logic mixer. I.e. Audio Input Object? and then assign the output to a different output I.e. 3/4? Try to accomplish monitoring at all time console style through analog chain. Hope this explains what I am after. I get SOOO confused with routing.

• Solution

If you have the track record armed (the red 'R' flashing), I don't think you need to have the track selected.

Not sure about logic routing, but if you have a monitor controller with multiple inputs, you could output your sum to the monitor controller and have that selected when you're mixing.

Thanks for your input. I am trying to get away from bringing in summed tracks back into Logic until ready to print. I have considered buying a monitor controller that has a D/A, so I could take a second digital out from my MBC and monitor from that. My powered monitors are analog. Hoping for a solution that doesn't require buying more gear. I am thinking maybe there is a way to use my Orion's multiple mixers to accomplish this.

Edited by rocwatson

Yes, that might be one solution to this problem. I have been trying to wrap my head around the Antelope routing software for two years! lol. They do have 4 separate mixers available in the matrix. Any folks versed in the Orion Studio routing please chime in. The MBC in coming in on the SPDIF input. So instead of routing to an audio channel. Perhaps I can send to a seperate mixer? I don't know why this type of routing has me stumped. Once my new computer gets here next week, I can just start patching away until something comes up. CheersScreenshot2024-02-01at4_32_02AM.thumb.png.520166da9aa692a898cdc363e0127ce4.png

I don't have the Orion but have a similar chain.  I send from Logic outputs into the RND 5059 then into the RND 5060 with the RND MBP inserted on the 5060 main 2 buss.  The 5060 Mon Out is my main monitoring device so that always connected to my monitors.  The 5060 Mix out is usually connected to an analog audio input on my UA Apollo for recording the mix.  If I were not using the 5060 Mon Out, I could instead use the UA Console software to route the mixed input signal to my monitors.  Sounds like you may be on the right path to figure out how to route the Orion software to your monitors.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for your input. I love RND as it seems you do. I broke down and ordered a Audient Nero Desktop Monitor Controller. So, from my MBC I can run two outputs simultaneously. The SPDIF out to the Orion and the Optical out to the Nero and monitor off that. I hope this is one way to skin this cat. 

image.png.9ff330e456c7913e98e1f20f50f547ed.png

image.thumb.png.2ac37933835595d8495f65697795de8a.png

• Love 1

On 2/1/2024 at 11:37 AM, rocwatson said:

I don't know why this type of routing has me stumped.

Sir,

Your post has indeed tickled my fancy 😉 I looked at some patch diagrams on Dangerous Music's URL. 

https://www.dangerousmusic.com/2-bus-plus-downloads

Would this clarify things further ? 

All the best. E

Edited by synth_hero
now resolved
  • Like 1