External Midi Instruments

morepepperblues

Hi everyone!
I hope someone can help me;

Goal: I want to use my Nord Wave 2 as an external MIDI source in Logic Pro X, and do MIDI editing in the piano roll before bouncing the track to audio.

Configuration: Mac Studio (OSX Ventura 13.6.3), Apollo Twin X, Logic Pro X (10.8.1).

I have connected the Wave 2 stereo to audio inputs 1 & 2 of the Apollo Twin X.

Through a MIDI/USB adapter M-Audio (MIdisport UNO), I have connected the MIDI in & out of the Wave 2 to a USB Hub connected to my Mac Studio.

In Logic Pro X, I create a new Software Instruments track, of type EXTERNAL MIDI, with the following settings: Midi Destination -- MidisportUNO, Midi Channel 1, Audio Input (Input 1 + 2).

Everything works, and I can record the MIDI track, but the problem is when I press Play, I don't hear anything!!!
I know that probably, by bouncing the track to audio, I should be able to hear the track, but I would like to be able to listen to the just recorded external MIDI track, in order to edit it in Logic's piano roll.

I think it might depend on some settings in Console?

Thank you

Oh hey, welcome to the forum from UAD land! 😉

We'll do this here then 🙂 - let's troubleshoot MIDI and audio separately.

Download Snoize MIDI Monitor and check that when you are playing the track with the External Instrument plugin on it configured for your synth, that Logic is sending the MIDI data to the correct port/channel your synth is on.

Does your synth indicate MIDI reception (like, a blinking MIDI light, or display page etc?)

41 minutes ago, morepepperblues said:

Everything works, and I can record the MIDI track, but the problem is when I press Play, I don't hear anything!!!

And make sure the track power button is on, and the track and/or region is not muted and you're not in Solo mode. During playback, are the recorded MIDI notes also visible in MIDI Monitor and as expected? (Check the MIDI channel, particularly).

• Like 1