No Drummer styles on mouseover?

bigcharles
Go to solution Solved by bigcharles,

Hi all, first: THANK YOU David N. Respect. I've been using LPX every day for the past 7 years, and all that time I've watched you doing an amazing job here. All LPX users frequenting this site owe you a debt of gratitude. 🙏

1. I searched the forums but could find nothing on this; sorry if there is an existing thread: Not long ago you could select a Drummer and see a brief description of the style they play. In this YouTuber's vid, it pops up on mouseover:   https://youtu.be/CKTWDaJKYlU?si=AP0qyFsSxo-hX4vv&t=109

2. I got nothin'. To be certain I turned on Quick Help: "appears as bubbles at pointer location" and restarted. No joy. Anyone know what's up with this feature?

Thanks,

Charles

Edited by bigcharles

Worth a try.

WRT the descriptions....just had a quick look and it seems that these have changed to a "generic" Drummer character QuickHelp entry.
I'd imagine that this is some sort of legal/copyright thing - where the names of the Drummers (Max, Anders, Kyle, etc.) have been replaced with Modern House, Dubstep, Indie Pop, Hard Rock, a.s.o.

Unfortunately, this seems to be a change that may have been brought about by the frivolously litigious - something I'd imagine Apple needs to deal with moreso than many other organisations.

Interesting conjecture; worth considering I suppose... may be a woke influence but my LPX 10.8.1 still has Drummer names — that is, the genre followed by a name (Pop Rock - Kyle, Retro Rock - Logan, etc.).

Drummer is so remarkable...it would be useful to know what the programmers/AI/whatever had in mind for the "person's" style — that has to be why they included descriptions in the first place. Even if the user doesn't agree it gives you a starting point. As it is, now there are no substantial no clues as to the personality of the drummer; had we never had that, it wouldn't be missed.

I wonder if there's a searchable index of LPX version changes that might yield some info on this... David, care to chime in?  Thx. Cheers

All:  Spoke on the phone to Apple 'Pro App' support today. The feature was not removed.

At her end the tech was able to bring up the mouseover descriptions. And during screen sharing I got them to display intermittently — though only a few non-repeatable times. Primary it doesn't work for me. So it's recommended I invoke:

Settings:Reset All Settings Except...

and/or delete the appropriate Prefs file.

Cheers

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bigcharles said:

Haven't done it yet — need to write down my personal settings, customizations, etc. beforehand. Will post again when I do.

Thanks David, keep up the good work!

Another thing you can do is try to create a new user account on your Mac, and try the behavior for that user? That user automatically gets a fresh new set of default preferences. 

If that works as expected for the new user, chances are it's the preferences. If that doesn't, you have to look elsewhere. 

32 minutes ago, David Nahmani said:

Another thing you can do is try to create a new user account on your Mac, and try the behavior for that user

Thanks David, I've done that in the past and it was discussed yesterday on support call — but I'd forgotten it could save having to log my personal settings and customizations.

I never deleted that extra user user account; I think I'll try it (or create a fresh one). Appreciate the suggestion.👍

• Like 1

Experiencing the same thing - Google brings me here (of course!) Logic Pro 10.8.1.

Creating a new user with reset settings did not help.

The only thing that does work is a version of what oscwilde posted: Settings > View > uncheck "show help tags", then recheck "show help tags", and if you click one of the drummers then hover, you can see their description. Hovering over any other drummer won't show you those drummers...only the first one you clicked and hovered over...until you uncheck/recheck "show help tags" again. So this clearly looks like something broken...

Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 6.49.08 PM.png

Cool @GnomeSane — unfortunately this didn't work for me. I've been tightly focused on my work lately so haven't tried trashing the prefs (I think it's com.apple.logic.pro.cs on my system), but... oh what the hell, I'll try it right now! Hang on, back in a few...

5 min. later:  There were 2 prefs, com.apple.logic.pro.cs, and com.apple.logic10.plist. Quit LPX; moved 'em both out to the desktop; restarted; tried toggling Off, then back On, Show Help Tags. I got nuthin'.

Yup, looks like a bug. Pfffttt... 🤨

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
Posted (edited)

20 April 2024 update:

YES! Drummer personalities are now showing on mouseover as they are supposed to. However I have no explanation! I didn't change anything... but:

I did allow my MBPro to auto-update macOS Sonoma from 14.1.1 to the latest version, 14.4.1.  Go figure.

Thanks to all who tried to help.

Edited by bigcharles
Follow up / update the situation...
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, bigcharles said:

I did allow my MBPro to auto-update macOS Sonoma from 14.1.1 to the latest version, 14.4.1.  Go figure.

Then I think that must be it, because I'm still in 14.1.2 here and ... I don't see the Drummer description pop-ups, even after unchecking and rechecking help tags. 

So I think there must be some incompatibility between how those descriptions work in Logic Pro and Sonoma 14.1 versions. 

Thanks for updating this thread with your findings! 🙂 

• Like 1