Logic drummer skips beat when cutting and going to a new clip?

tightplatonic
Go to solution Solved by polanoid,

Not sure how to explain this but if I use logic drummer, and I make cuts right at a bar so that I can have different beats in different sections (say verse and chorus), it sounds like the first kick or crash of the new section is missing before the beat continues

Anyone else had this problem or know what I'm doing wrong? THx for any help it's so confusing!

hey I'm using logic 10.8 on ventura 13.6.2 and macbook m1 pro max

I think I figured out the issue - if a drummer section ends and I create a new drummer section right after it, or copy and paste a new section there - if the new section has the 'feel' knob turned towards 'push' so it's slightly ahead of the beat, then the very first hit like the kick or crash that comes at the start of the new drummer section does not register at all.

Which is kinda annoying..cos I wanna cut up my drummer into verse/bridge/chorus etc and sometimes it's better if the feel is a bit pushed in some sections. Is there a setting to remedy this?

I can turn off snap and zoom in on the transistion and move it so the new drummer section starts a bit early, then I can hear the first hit, but that's really fiddly and annoying when trying to figure out new drum sections for each part of the song.

The image I attached just shows the two drummer sections next to each other..the second section even though the hits are showing, there is no hit heard right at the beginning if the 'feel' knob is anywhere in the push direction even slightly.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 at 6.00.44 PM.png

10 hours ago, tightplatonic said:

if a drummer section ends and I create a new drummer section right after it, or copy and paste a new section there - if the new section has the 'feel' knob turned towards 'push' so it's slightly ahead of the beat, then the very first hit like the kick or crash that comes at the start of the new drummer section does not register at all.

I can't reproduce this here? I tried a region with the Feel knob set all the way to "Pull" followed by another region with the Feel knob all the way to "Push" and I can still hear the first kick drum in the new region. 

Could you save your project, remove all tracks but the one having this issue, and share it here, so that one of us could experiment with it? 

• Like 1

thx all for trying to help -(I have 64 gig ram) I think the project starts at 1 1 1 1 - I've attached it - would that make a difference? I can play around with that..from memory I did try to change the start point of my project templates long ago.

Now that I've played around more with it..the problem is not consistent..it seems more likely to happen if I move a drummer region or copy or it cut it I think? But once it's there I can't use the push feature

WindowImage.jpg

Ok it seems like if I have two drummer tracks next to each other, and then I resize both of them, either fwd or backward, so that they still touch after I resize them both (one shorter and one longer than originally), then I get the problem, which I guess is a. bit annoying because I'm trying to figure out drum sections on the tracks I have and playing around with lengths and drum rolls in certain sections etc..

is anyone else having the same thing on their project or is it a project setting I've messed up?

Note: this happens on a brand new logic track that is empty with only one drummer track, and is not a template - (just new track and select drummer to start)

• Solution
10 hours ago, tightplatonic said:

bumping this to see if it's expected behaviour or unusual? maybe I setting I have overlooked?

I don't know why this would be necessary, probably a Logic issue, but applying the “Reactivate Upbeat Event Playback" key command to the affected region(s) will cure your problem (I verified this in the song you posted).

Update: Seems like you have to do this every time after editing the left border of a drummer region. IMO you should report this to Apple via their feedback page https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro/

• Like 3