Exported one audio file to desktop, the file didn't appear?

GuyBorlander

Hey! I exported one audio file to desktop from Logic; the process finished and then it didn’t appear and I couldn’t find it anywhere even in projects audio files… a small glitch?

I did the export again and it was fine and I had the exported file. 

jusr checking there is nothing wrong with my system or Logic. I am using a new Mac Mini and Logic is updated. 

I asked this before on here but maybe I worded it wrong and wasn’t easy to understand.  Thanks again guys.

kind regards,

G

• David Nahmani changed the title to Exported one audio file to desktop, the file didn't appear?
14 minutes ago, GuyBorlander said:

I exported one audio file to desktop from Logic; the process finished and then it didn’t appear and I couldn’t find it anywhere even in projects audio files

If you export audio, Logic won't reimport it and add it to the project audio files unless you specifically ask it to.

It's possible you mistakenly exported the file elsewhere, something aborted the process, or Finder hadn't updated to recognise a new file was added - it's very difficult remotely after the fact to say what might have happened, but you have your export as expected now, so it seems the problem is solved.

If it re-occurs, pay attention to the specifics of exactly what and where you are exporting to and maybe we can troubleshoot further.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, des99 said:

It's possible you mistakenly exported the file elsewhere, something aborted the process

Before exporting again I actually tried to find the file under the name I supposedly saved it as on my Mac; I searched the entire machine and found nothing. So I’m sure I didn’t save it anywhere else.

In regards to something aborting the process can this happen if you’re flicking through different applications as Logic is exporting or maybe the session just having a lot of VSTs and plugins loaded etc…?

thank you for your reply!

Kind regards,

G

40 minutes ago, GuyBorlander said:

Before exporting again I actually tried to find the file under the name I supposedly saved it as on my Mac; I searched the entire machine and found nothing.

If you mean you used Spotlight, that doesn't search much of your system by default (it only basically searches your user folders, and ignores everywhere else on your system). So search not finding it doesn't mean it wasn't saved elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, GuyBorlander said:

In regards to something aborting the process can this happen if you’re flicking through different applications as Logic is exporting or maybe the session just having a lot of VSTs and plugins loaded etc…?

Like I say in my earlier response, I can't really diagnose what happened in this particular case. I've seen things not show up on the desktop in the past, but I don't know the specifics of what may be going on there, and it hasn't happened recently enough that I can investigate...

• Like 1

Ok that is great I understand what you mean now. 
Is there a superior way to find a file rather than using spotlight search? I actually don’t know if there is… I remember what I supposedly saved it as so I can search now and let you know where it saved if I find it. 

Oh that is great. cheers! I will install that immediately and give it a go. 

In regards to the “specifics” I simply muted everything else in my session other than an audio file that had one maybe two effect plugins on it’s channel - I hit command - b and gave it a name and selected save to desktop. I had the yellow cycling bar activated in Logic; the one you use for a loop during playback. The yellow cycling bar was used to export everything within the bar so it didn’t export the entire session including the muted channels.

Those are all the specifics…

44 minutes ago, des99 said:

Update* I used this app I bought it from the App Store. I couldn’t find the file anywhere! 

I guess the original export was just interrupted somehow…

Kind regards,

G

3 minutes ago, fisherking said:

have you rebooted your mac? if you exported as (for example) a wav file, do a search for '.wav'... see what comes up (by date, or name). are you using icloud desktop? (just curious)...

& 'find any file' is a great app, as @des99 suggests

Mac has been turned off and on since I’ve done my recent searches for this file. I have all auto iCloud saves deactivated!