Studio Pics

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks ElMriachi,

I do both. Started out as a place to record my music. But things grow and the word spreads around. Even though I would describe it as a project studio there seems to be a lot of local interest. It feels comfortable and intimate. Frankly I think these smaller spaces are becoming more and more popular. Drums record pretty well in there, and that is rare in home studios. Drum recording seems to be going by the wayside altogether.

Thanks again for the compliment. I really appreciate it. It's been a bit of work.

Thanks ElMriachi,

I do both. Started out as a place to record my music. But things grow and the word spreads around. Even though I would describe it as a project studio there seems to be a lot of local interest. It feels comfortable and intimate. Frankly I think these smaller spaces are becoming more and more popular. Drums record pretty well in there, and that is rare in home studios. Drum recording seems to be going by the wayside altogether.

Thanks again for the compliment. I really appreciate it. It's been a bit of work.

You´re welcome . I can absolutely believe it was lots of work, and hard work pays off in the end :) Nice to hear that its going well for you.

Is the studio located in your house (cellar) or did you rent this room?

I dream of a place like yours in my own house to do my own music and also record other musicians/bands.Unfortunately i dont own a house yet.. maybe in the next few years...

ElMariachi,

this is actually in an old outbuilding behind my house. We did double wall construction for isolation, but didn't go to the ends of the earth on every detail. I did pay attention to room dimensions. It wasn't all that expensive, considering. but i did all the construction myself. So that helps keep cost down. I went into this with the perspective that I'll learn from this build and apply what I learn in a better building someday. And that I want to see how the records made in here compare to lesser spaces and greater spaces I have recorded in. No doubt there will be disadvantages, but also some advantages to this space. Perhaps mainly financial advantages, but we'll see. It is nice having it separate from the main house.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. I know it's been a while. I've been super busy lately. But I managed to remember to run some video at a recent quick session.

The other day a client brought in a bass player to track on one of his songs. The player, Mike Phillips of the band Four Finger Five had no objection to my filming him. Although my skill at videography is no better than that of an infant I managed to capture him doing a take. And I was able to figure out how to drag the sound file and lay it over the video with a certain degree of success.

Keep in mind that the song is not finished so the soundtrack is a rough edit. And hopefully the poor camera work won't do permanent harm to your visual sensory organs. I do hope to do more of this kind of thing and with any luck the videos will improve. Also keep in mind that the primary goal is to track audio and working by myself makes it difficult to even remember to take photos for the scrapbook, let alone record video with any success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtZgo_LrDvY

This is fun.

This was my first set of studios pics: You can tell how dated this is by the M$ kbd.. that was hot s#!+ back in the day. Maybe even one of the first wireless kbd's?

hookedongear.thumb.jpg.d176f65c2aae8d3613e24ef3586fe6dd.jpg

My first piece of gear was the blue bad boy, the Yamaha RM1X, then the virus b, a birthday gift from a friend, and from that point on.. well.. it's been a long ride. You can tell how dated the Polaroids are, that Micro$oft keyboard just came out, as did t

Edited by hookedonhydro

Then in 2005, I got rid of a lot of stuff, ie, she didn't bother to tell me she forgot her to take her pill.. got him! Best mistake of my life. He's almost 7 and im going to expose him to the creative process very soon..

http://a4.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/150/58ef5b0a6f1c47caaf9c4d56283393b5/l.jpg

After purchasing a Mackie Control and 2 extenders, one of the extenders malfunctioned and Mackie actually sent me a control extender that said C4 on the LCD! I asked nicely for a C4 instead of the replacement extender they sent and they were very accommodating, and admittedly embarrassed at their mistake. Not a bad deal, the C4 made for a great nightlight!

This is what im workin with now.. and as much as I love gear, I have never been more productive and content. You can overwhelm yourself and find you never have the time to master any one piece. The Machine Drum and the RM1X are the only two pieces I have owned that I can say I knew that well.. You don't NEED an Andromeda.. It's 3k! You can buy ALOT of Mcdoubles with that kinda cash! Save your money, It's sick, but not worth 3k.. And really, give me logic, a controller, 2 turn tables and a mixer, and i'll have a blast! http://www.youtube.com/user/hookedonhydro :P

Hookedongear2011.thumb.jpg.b7dfde309afd50addf8513e22741dc51.jpg

• 2 weeks later...