Plogue Bidule and Logic

stevenson

This is a great thread, truly. But as with all threads like this the information is scattered across several pages. It would be great if someone would volunteer to consolidate the information found here and write up a step-by-step tutorial on how to make ReWire/Plogue Bidule work with Logic. I'd do it myself but I just don't have the time these days.

If anyone were to take up this task, I'd like to suggest that it include a short blurb on the pros and cons of using Bidule vs. IAC, and then mention of some non-obvious things (or, I should say, things that weren't initially obvious to me), including:

• downloading and installing the ReWire Engine if you don't already own any ReWire-capable software (thanks Guavadude). It was my assumption that Logic had ReWire capabilities "built in". Kinda stupid assumption in retrospect, but hey...

• the start-up order of PB and Logic

• why creating the Aux and assigning it to output from Bidule/ReWire is necessary

Anyway, just a suggestion.

Great thread. I've switched to an 8 core and am thinking about trying PB.

I'm confused - the consensus seems to be that EXS uses RAM outside Logic, but at the moment when I add EXS' I see my Logic ram use go up (and eventually reach the 3.8/4gig crash point). Do I need to change my EXS settings?

Thx

L8.02

os 10.5.6

8C 2.8GHz

10GB RAM

In my exs>options>virtual memory - the "active" box is checked. But if I look at the activity monitor every time I add an exs and load samples both the "real memory" and "virtual memory" for Logic both go up. Hence a crash at 4GB.

Does that sound weird? I thought the magic thing about exs is that is uses RAM outside Logic.

Any thoughts?

Thx

Hello everyone.

I have my system setup to open logic upon powering on the computer, and logic to open up the last song I'm working on. This way I can hit the power button, go make a coffee, and when I come back my song/sounds are all loaded. Is there a way to have PB automatically open with my songs, or do I have to double click PB in my library each time? Also, is it possible to have PB open the file the song is actually using, rather than its default? Note: I know how to make one setup my "default" in PB, but what if I'm using a different setup for a different song?

It would be great if I could somehow get PB to open automatically after my song is loaded, that way everything is up ready to go when I come back with my coffee. :)

you just need to save a PB file after you have your setup loaded. You can then check the open recent files and it will be in the list.

Yeah, thats the method I'm currently using. But of course if you have large instruments in your PB file, you're waiting a while for them to load, which is what I was trying to avoid. At least I can still work in logic while PB is loading. :)

It would be cool if Logic could somehow make the association of what ReWire devices/files are used in your song and automatically loads them; similar to how it already remembers what VI's/patches your using with your song and automatically loads them when you open your song. I guess I have a feature request for logic feedback. :)

well while you're requesting features, request better memory handling, and then you won't have to use PB.

If you have three apps to load on startup, do they load alphabetically....who's on first?

because I think they would, so Logic should load before PB and then you might be all right. Have you tried it yet...with or without coffee?

Why is PB any sort of reasonable alternative to Apple programming Logic to take full advantage of our hardware? So annoying.

I agree, it's annoying. But it's a reasonable solution cuz you can do something about it in the immediate by spending a mere $75 (and incorporating a slight change of workflow). Were Apple to incorporate this kind of flexibility into Logic (and I'm not saying they shouldn't), who knows how long it would take to produce, when it would come out, how many bugs there would be in the initial version, and how long it would take them to work out the bugs.

I haven't read everything on here about PB, but can I assume that the following will not work with PB:

1. Offline bouncing

2. Any sort of settings or patch recall

3. Any loading up of different preferences within PB tied into your Logic session.

Am I correct?

1. No, but I am not a big fan of offline bouncing as a rule anyway.

2. Yes, if the file is saved.

3. No.

Offline bouncing is an absolute necessity for me. I am scoring 10 minute scenes of a movie... and if I make one tweak, I can't afford to wait 10 minutes and listen through something as it's bouncing....

This is why I hate Apple right now.

well you can offline bounce just fine using plogue and logic so no need to hate apple for that. though bear in mind, depending on how heavy your session is, offline bouncing can take longer. that's because it has to be executed as a single thread which means it is all happening on one cpu.

in fact (and someone should test this) you might find that using plogue offline bouncing might take less time because the plogue side DSP will run as a seperate thread.

i'm a bit grumpy that we have to deal with this issue - low memory ceiling - and that those who know best what is going on haven't found us a solution. it's the lack of thinking things through that annoys me. but the solution is there and it can't be easy juggling the number balls you have going in logic as a developer.

a bit peeved is about as far as it goes though. but don't mention the score editor, or chase...

Here is why offline bouncing is not a good idea as a general rule, especially when you are working alone.

1. When you are in the heat of the moment, things get by you that you notice when you simply are sitting back in your chair and listening.

2. ALLL audio interfaces screw up some times and there may be pops and clicks, so before you send anything to a client, you need to listen for those anyway, so it might as well be at the time it is going down.

3. Time-based delays, echos, reverbs, arpeggiators, etc all require real time bouncing to work.

4. WHen you use a lot of DSP heavy plug-ins like those on the UAD cards as I do, offline actually takes longer.

That said, if offline bouncing is something you cannot live without, then the Plouge-Logic hybrid may not work for you. But right now, I am thinking that it is a godsend.

That said, if offline bouncing is something you cannot live without, then the Plouge-Logic hybrid may not work for you. But right now, I am thinking that it is a godsend.

asher, the whole point is that offline bounce works with plogue. so it will be a good solution for revolucian.

i agree with you about offline bounce to a point, but also with revolucian. in fact offline bouncing was a prerequiste for working with rewire for me.

1. all time-based plugs do work just like they should in offline if they are plugins.

2. if you are doing just one tiny tweak - everything remains the same.

3. you can update audio files so that there reference is preserved but the audio is changed.

4. (for me this is a big one) you can have mastering plugins on the output so that you get a final mastered mix. no mastering pass.

5. great for demo mixes to picture. you can just bounce directly to the picture.

6. if you have lots of voices in a sampler you get all of them printed - no skipped voices (not read in time).

7. you don't tweak yourself to death. i always find something that could be better.

reason i am back working with OTB recording:

1. summing stems still sounds better

2. external reverb sounds better

3. image seems better.

4. sorting myself out with esata RAID so i can get best voice performance.

5. all the other points you made.

i do think my OTB mixes are just that tiny bit better. its not the future though.

asher, the whole point is that offline bounce works with plogue. so it will be a good solution for revolucian..

I see. A friend of mine who uses Plogue said you could not do offline bouncing to audio with the Bidule midi ports instead of the Rewire ones, but I will take your word for it and try it out.

Once again, I said generally, offline is not a good idea. And as I said, when you use UAD plugs like I do, it is actually slower.

asher, the whole point is that offline bounce works with plogue. so it will be a good solution for revolucian..

I see. A friend of mine who uses Plogue said you could not do offline bouncing to audio with the Bidule midi ports instead of the Rewire ones, but I will take your word for it and try it out.

Once again, I said generally, offline is not a good idea. And as I said, when you use UAD plugs like I do, it is actually slower.

I have tried this offline thing and as far as I can see it only works when you use the Rewire bus. If I use the external instrument in logic it will just bounce a sweet and hollow silence.

I have tried this offline thing and as far as I can see it only works when you use the Rewire bus. If I use the external instrument in logic it will just bounce a sweet and hollow silence.

ah ok. well the cure to that might be to plug the multiinstrument in logic into a port for the bidule midi rewire.

ok well i will update the pdf with that info. its quite important. if you want offline bouncing you will have to use the rewire midi. that means getting onto plogue to fix the hanging note bug.