Logic Studio 9!

thindave

kerouac...did you purchase logic within 14 days? you could return it. make a genius bar appointment and uninstall and return it.

Actually you can't return opened software.

The Pasadena Apple Store allowed me to exchange my 12-day old, already installed Logic 8 Studio upgrade package for 9.

No additional cash, no questions asked. :)

Of course, I called before I went.

If you have a receipt and purchased it there, the apple store will take in opened software of Logic Pro 9 if you were unable to install it. I confirmed this with a apple support rep on the phone.

Goes to show all Apple Stores are different! I just talked to several reps in several Apple Stores and they said you can't return opened software, period. So make sure you ask before you buy.

Same here. I bought the upgrade yesterday in the local Apple Store. The guy taking my money asked me to make sure I had the correct upgrade because they wouldn't accept returns on opened software.

Steve's constant sense of overwhelming amazement at EVERY single feature, no matter how small, is enough to make me feel a bit ill.

Handy videos, but I have a bit of a headache now.

I agree, good videos but the inflections in his voice are really distracting and overdone. Content is great though.

Just installed the upgrade tonight, and I have to say that so far I'm REALLY happy. One of the biggest things I was looking for was being able to quantize live drums. It took me about 30 min. to really get it figured out, but now that I understand it, I have to say that its sick! Its non-destructive, so there's no splicing/dicing of regions and getting worried if you're gonna mess something up. You can always just delete the flex marker and it goes back to normal. It also cut the time for slicing drums for me down by about 2.5 hours per track. I used to do it manually and I was meticulous so it took forever.

I also put the new amp designer and pedalboard through its paces. As a guitar player, I think they're just ok. The pedals seem better than the amps, but that's just me.

A few other notes - it seems pretty stable to me. Things that used to make mine crash didn't seem to a problem anymore, but I haven't really hit hit super hard just yet. The one thing I did find was that when trying to adjust the Q-Range parameter in quantizing some of the drum tracks, the parameter is a little buggy, but it ended up working in the end, just scary in how it took awhile.

I know that's not an exhaustive list of things to test, but its a beginning and so far I feel really comfortable with it. It gets my vote.

Just installed the upgrade tonight, and I have to say that so far I'm REALLY happy. One of the biggest things I was looking for was being able to quantize live drums. It took me about 30 min. to really get it figured out, but now that I understand it, I have to say that its sick! Its non-destructive, so there's no splicing/dicing of regions and getting worried if you're gonna mess something up. You can always just delete the flex marker and it goes back to normal. It also cut the time for slicing drums for me down by about 2.5 hours per track. I used to do it manually and I was meticulous so it took forever.

Me too! I thought I was the only one who did that! I just ordered the upgrade last night, I can't wait to edit the rest of my drums now... never thought I'd say that...

Steve H from MacProVideo is a legend who is INCREDIBLY generous with his knowledge on this Forum. Bit rich complaining about Tutorial Videos you were able to watch for free. But maybe that's just me

Nope, it's not just you. I find it amazing how people will find fault with just about everything and anything, even if what they're criticizing is unique in nature, timely, and most of all, effn FREE.

Steve H from MacProVideo is a legend who is INCREDIBLY generous with his knowledge on this Forum. Bit rich complaining about Tutorial Videos you were able to watch for free. But maybe that's just me

Nope, it's not just you. I find it amazing how people will find fault with just about everything and anything, even if what they're criticizing is unique in nature, timely, and most of all, effn FREE.

I believe in constructive criticism, whether or not the product is free. What I am totally at odds with is criticizing behind people's backs, or worse, destructive criticism with no solution to the problem the author reports .... What's the point? What does this accomplish?

I don't think just because it's free makes it above criticism, but I totally agree that criticism without substance is best left to yourself.

Personally I'm not complaining about the tutorial videos, I think they're very informative and well put together. Not only that, but I have paid for several of Steve H's tutorials from MacProVideo and I'll buy the full version of the Core Logic 9 tutorial when it is released based on the free preview. My only minor criticism is his delivery, and even then I know the inflections are only there because he is trying to inject a bit of energy into what can be a very dry technical subject. Doesn't mean I won't be happy to pay to watch them and learn from him though :)

I just upgraded from LP8 to LP9.

First impressions; I love all the neat little graphical things they changed! (ie highlighted EQ icon on the channel strip, the white border around active window sections, the channel strip names in the inspector).

The notes thing is A+!

I tried messing with the Flex time but I'm going to have to practice. It's very easy to overdo the edits. You also have to be mindful of which algorithm you choose for processing.

All my LP7 and LP8 projects opened up without a hitch.

All my third party plug ins opened up and functioned beautifully (BFD, NI Reaktor, Pro53, Battery, Sonalksis suite and the Rob Papen suite).

I also LOVE that Apple didn't include all those manuals. I'm sure this will tick some people off but I always used the electronic documentation and felt that all that paper and ink was a waste.

I have one question though.

I didn't install any of the jam packs and apple loops.

Can I install/copy these to a separate hard drive? I don't want them on my native drive.

Well that's easy.

Awesome!

Thanks David.

Update; I wanted to add that BFD2 actually behaves significantly better in LP9. This was a huge concern of mine since BFD2 always had issues during any kind of upgrade wether it'd be LP, OSX, or even audio drivers.

In previous versions of LP I'd have to hit Stop and Play a few times for BFD to function properly. Before I'd get random ghost notes from BFD when hitting play, and the occasionally overload error when doing ANYTHING with BFD.

After throwing a bunch of performance tests at it; BFD2 seems to be working WAY better under LP9. I only have to hit Play once, and (so far) I'm not getting any overloads or glitches when working with BFD (editing parameters, notes, etc...)

Lastly I wanted to comment on the SteveH stuff above. I LOVE his voice delivery in the videos. Besides Martin, most other instructors on MPV are unengaging in comparison.

I was so close to getting Logic 9 tomorrow, and my bulb burnt out on my DLP TV :evil: :evil: :evil:

If it was just me, I'd say screw the TV, but I can't do that to my wife and step-son.

Oh well, c'est la vie.

Anyways.... That's pretty sweet that you can install the content on a separate drive now without having to resort to using aliases :D