Logic Studio 9!

thindave

I am rather amazed that some folks are continually bashing GAP and even the new L9 amps - I make my sole living in LA playing guitar and I have been getting some killer guitar sounds from L8/GAP, and I'm sure I will have the same experience with the new L9 amps & effects. I simply use the same techniques I've found effective in my hardware amp modelers: Pre & post EQ (compression as needed) & some tasty Logic effects at the end. And I'm talking about anything from pristine cleans to raging high-gain solo tones and anything in between. I currently own almost every modeler known to man :lol:, including the amazing Axe-FX Ultra from Fractal Audio.

I am very demanding of all my guitar sounds, so I don't say this lightly - Is it possible that some of the amp critics just haven't learned how to program this combination well enough yet?

I agree Radley.

I find that with a little care and proper settings you can get GREAT tones from GAP as well as other gtr sims.

It took me a while until I finally got it but once you do it's amazing the product these things can yield. I also find layer gtrs helps to add to the "realism". To my ears it adds a bit more weight to the sound.

Also running the guitar through a tap saturation plug in helps to "thicken" up the sound a bit as well. (At least to my ears. :lol:)

Can't wait to get my hands on the new gear. Sounds great in the demos.

HAve a good one. :D

Hey all

Just to verify:

Do L8's channel strips carry over to L9?

I'm asking because I want to create some new Bass and Gtr Channel Strips but don't wanna waste my time if they don't import to L9.

TIA

HAve a good one. :D

Yes they do.

And you are not wasting time, only money. 8)

Thanks Eric.

Your the man. :D

I've been quite happy with the Amp Sim in Logic, but I still prefer using Native Instrument's Guitar Rig 3 most of the time. I like the bass sim in Logic way better though. : :P

Yeah, the base sim is REALLY good as well. Hopefully next update they'll give us more to play with their too. I'm become obsessed with bass tones recently. :lol:

It's not really an attraction for me, since I bought a BOSS GT-10 a few months ago. It has the best overdrive sims I've heard so far. It's fairly easy for these things to do clean, Fender Tweed/Twin sounds, but a good distortion that can verge into feedback is cool, and, according to my experience, more difficult to reproduce.

I also have two decent tube amps and mics.....

So, the whole guitar rig thing isn't turning my crank. Methinks that the audio editing additions, as well as stability, will be the selling points for me.

Thanks apple, due to your total arrogance and shite ass customer support, i just upgraded my old Windows XP machine, and made it into a really neat studio machine running sonar.

My imac is now for sale, as i have been sick to death of logic 8 being an asshole, with far too many problems, now i cannot upgrade because im quite poor and cannot afford a new "intel" mac.

Eric/Lagerfeldt...

During the install...does it OVERWRITE all your saved ChannelStrips, KeyCommands, etc (or anything else in your USER folder???) Custom Icons???or..does it recognize you have a folder structure of customs stuff and just add to it??

Everything is still intact.

Even Logic 8 ;)

SWEEET....did you jump up to 10.5.7??

Thanks apple, due to your total arrogance and shite ass customer support, i just upgraded my old Windows XP machine, and made it into a really neat studio machine running sonar.

My imac is now for sale, as i have been sick to death of logic 8 being an asshole, with far too many problems, now i cannot upgrade because im quite poor and cannot afford a new "intel" mac.

Jesus! Build a "Hackintosh", my friend built a sic one for just under $1000, it beats my MacPro badly. Have fun with Microsoft.

Cmon dude. I'm still on a Powerbook and lovin it. Being behind the curve is good! (and a lot less stressful once you come to terms)

Eric/Lagerfeldt...

During the install...does it OVERWRITE all your saved ChannelStrips, KeyCommands, etc (or anything else in your USER folder???) Custom Icons???or..does it recognize you have a folder structure of customs stuff and just add to it??

Everything is still intact.

Even Logic 8 ;)

SWEEET....did you jump up to 10.5.7??

I was on 10.5.7 on my MBP but updated the Mac Pro.

Hmm, i wonder if my wife would like to go out for dinner and then shopping at the Apple Store - "Hey, look! New version of Logic, baby!"

Oh yeah... 8)

Call first... Portland store has not received theirs yet. Heard other stores are SOL as well.

I want to know one more thing.

Is the FX tails problem fixed?

This bug really annoys me. I have to play empty part for some seconds every time I bounce the mix. I really hope it's fixed.

Could anyone who already has L9 answer this question please?

Is this "audio/effects stuck in cache" problem fixed?

Thanks.

About to go and buy an upgrade version now, from what I have read this is going to make the way I work much faster and easier, so I'm pretty excited about this!

I agree with the earlier posts from Radley and ChicoSatis regarding Logic's amp sims, the presets may not always be much chop but with a bit of tweaking and combining with other Logic effects you can pull some really great sounds, save them as custom presets and away you go. Layer guitar tracks and you can achieve some very good results.

I've dabbled with other plug ins like Guitar Rig, Amplitube and Revalver (the best of the three imo) and while they are all useful I usually end up using a custom preset created in Logic. As I create mainly guitar based music I personally am looking forward to the improved Guitar Amp and new Pedalboard feature, and the editing features are going to speed up my workflow a lot.

I remember working with an old Tascam four track ten years ago to record my ideas as I simply couldn't afford the hardware and software required to record anything better back then. I used to have to lay down very rough ideas on the four track and then take it to the rest of the band and go through the sometimes painful process of translating the ideas with the other band members. Now it is ridiculously easy to put complete song ideas down and get them sounding pretty damn good in a tenth of the time, so paying $300 Australian for this upgrade to me is a bargain. It's only $6 a week if you average it out over a year, which is nothing really for the time it's going to save me in that year of writing and recording music. I bought the full version of Logic Studio 8 and I still think it was worth every penny for the massive amount of sounds and additional content, despite some of the glitches.

I guess you can't please everyone, but for me Logic 8 and now this new version is pretty exciting.

Off to the Apple Store I go..... :D

Anyone know what the little floating window below/left of the ESM is? It looks to have arpeggiator controls. Just wondering if LP9 introduced Ableton Live-type midi effects...

(screenshot from gallery under 'Writing in LP9': http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/)

Its an environment program in a frameless floating window.

It does a pretty good job, but its no replacement for a modern arpeggiator.

BTW:

Have you been to Sweden or are you coming?

I got an email with an invitation to a special event hosted by you and others.

Yeah, Apple asked me to do the Mastering Audio seminars, and they put my name on the brochures, in Studio Magazine etc. They just forgot to ask me first... :-)

My wife is set to give birth (our 2nd child) right about that time, so I had to cancel unfortunately.

Since I'm an ADP now I'll probably being doing similar events in the future though.

I was doing my sums to figure out if I could afford the upgrade and worked out that I couldn't.

That was until I reached for my Logic 8 box so as to will it to transmorph into Studio 9 and behind it was a full coin jar that I had forgotten about!:lol:

I wonder if the Apple Store will take A$299.00 in 10 and 20 cent pieces? :shock:

I wonder if postage for $299 worth of coins to the Apple store will be more then $299?

On a side note, what did stuff taste like before chickens were invented?

I am rather amazed that some folks are continually bashing GAP and even the new L9 amps - I make my sole living in LA playing guitar and I have been getting some killer guitar sounds from L8/GAP, and I'm sure I will have the same experience with the new L9 amps & effects. I simply use the same techniques I've found effective in my hardware amp modelers: Pre & post EQ (compression as needed) & some tasty Logic effects at the end. And I'm talking about anything from pristine cleans to raging high-gain solo tones and anything in between. I currently own almost every modeler known to man :lol:, including the amazing Axe-FX Ultra from Fractal Audio.

I am very demanding of all my guitar sounds, so I don't say this lightly - Is it possible that some of the amp critics just haven't learned how to program this combination well enough yet?

i think the problem is that most people get caught up in how good something is at emulating something else....if it don't sound like the vintage hardware equivalent then it's no good...the same for all these vintage compressor emulations

but...if the sound is good and usable to you , then it is irrelevant whether or not it is modelled correctly

there may be good argument for software against real speakers pushing real air into real mics but for software, i think you are right that, getting creative with compression and other effects will help tremendously

i love ni gr3 as a multifx unit......i'm hoping the reverse delay in this new amp will be as good as in ni's baby...this update could save me having to buy gr 3....great value :D