Logic Studio 9!

thindave

some nice touches here...'bounce in place' is getting me pretty horny...'twill really revolutionise the way i work 'in the box'....just a shame i have to get leopard and this.....and even more of a shame that i don't have the money for either

:(

Dive in man!! Leopard rocks. I'm not having any issues with 10.5.7, Logic 8, etc..

Good news on the academic pricing front:

On the keyboard magazine forum someone confirmed that the price for the academic version is $149, not $449 as someone here had said yesterday. I guess the confusion arose from this fact: if you order it online, it's $449. If you obtain from a brick and mortar University bookstore, it's $149.

I'm having my brother order it for me pronto.

Damn, I just called my university's book store, no luck. He anticipates a week or so, therefore I can not confirm on the $149 price.

@ Eric, is it possible to use the mouse wheel (if you have one of course!) to move the faders in the mixer etc?? I really want this function!!

Cheers.

Sorry!

No go.

Bugger! Thanks for checking. I requested this several thousand times!

Does the 9 upgrade install duplicates of all of the sample/ jam pack content, or does it only install the material that is new for logic 9?

I'm only asking because it has been stated that the upgrade leaves logic 8 intact on your computer, and I don't want to have duplicates of 40+ gigs of sample content on my 'puter, and I would have no idea of where to begin manually deleting it!

Good news on the academic pricing front:

On the keyboard magazine forum someone confirmed that the price for the academic version is $149, not $449 as someone here had said yesterday. I guess the confusion arose from this fact: if you order it online, it's $449. If you obtain from a brick and mortar University bookstore, it's $149.

I'm having my brother order it for me pronto.

Damn, I just called my university's book store, no luck. He anticipates a week or so, therefore I can not confirm on the $149 price.

My experience has been that, in fact, different university brick-and-mortar stores have had different academic prices for software, including previous versions of Logic. I think some schools effectively subsidize the purchase themselves. You may find that you have to shop around. Start calling all your little brother's former high school friends...

8)

Does the 9 upgrade install duplicates of all of the sample/ jam pack content, or does it only install the material that is new for logic 9?

I'm only asking because it has been stated that the upgrade leaves logic 8 intact on your computer, and I don't want to have duplicates of 40+ gigs of sample content on my 'puter, and I would have no idea of where to begin manually deleting it!

No duplicates here.

Anybody up and running on PPC (yeah, yeah, I know)? I'm sure a certain part of our subculture wants to hear about your installation experiences. Besides, I'm not ready to call my G5 Quad dead quite yet. Even on my largest projects, that beast shines.

I believe this version of Logic Node will only work with the INTEL machines now. Why I will probably not load Logic 9 on MBP, since it is an INTEL.

Ok, I can live with Logic 9 being intel only, but why would they not let us use our old PPC's at least as Logic Nodes!!! That seems very strange, as they worked fine in Logic 8! Did they somehow "improve" the logic node function, or just recode it to leave us PPC users SOL? Perhaps its due to the new plugins, but couldn't they at least lave PPC support for "legacy" plugins?

I guess the only hope for my PPC is used as a VSL playback machine. Hopefully VSL doesn't take away our PPC support in their next Vienna Ensemble update!!!

Edited by JT3_Jon

Let me get this straight: If I had a mac mini I could use Logic PRO 9 but with my PPC dual G5 I'm out of luck? Well I might as well go PRO with my Mac Mini studio!

Cheers Apple!

The thing is the new minis blow your Dual G5 away.

It depends on how you make your music. Sure, the specs of the processor are "better," but I work in large sample based projects and have optimized my G5 w/ 7GB Ram & 4 internal HD's for sample streaming. You simply cant do this on a mac mini. Not to mention no PCI support for interfaces, DSP cards, etc. Same problem with the imac, though at least it goes up to 4gb ram.

Edited by JT3_Jon

I am rather amazed that some folks are continually bashing GAP and even the new L9 amps - I make my sole living in LA playing guitar and I have been getting some killer guitar sounds from L8/GAP, and I'm sure I will have the same experience with the new L9 amps & effects. I simply use the same techniques I've found effective in my hardware amp modelers: Pre & post EQ (compression as needed) & some tasty Logic effects at the end. And I'm talking about anything from pristine cleans to raging high-gain solo tones and anything in between. I currently own almost every modeler known to man :lol:, including the amazing Axe-FX Ultra from Fractal Audio.

I am very demanding of all my guitar sounds, so I don't say this lightly - Is it possible that some of the amp critics just haven't learned how to program this combination well enough yet?

@ Eric, is it possible to use the mouse wheel (if you have one of course!) to move the faders in the mixer etc?? I really want this function!!

Cheers.

Sorry!

No go.

Bugger! Thanks for checking. I requested this several thousand times!

If they make it an option then great, but I for one do not like this feature as it has the potential to do some great damage!! DP has this feature, and I will occasionally not realize my curser is over a fader when trying to scroll and BAM, my mix is now Fubar!

Maybe its me though. :-)

And speaking of L9 guitar amps, I noticed that 'Nine Inch Nails' is using only Main Stage for all their live guitar & vocal sounds, as well as most all other processing needs. I haven't really looked into it, but I would assume that the latency achievable is comparable to a typical digital amp modeler? If so, it would seem 'the sky's the limit'!

I am rather amazed that some folks are continually bashing GAP and even the new L9 amps - I make my sole living in LA playing guitar and I have been getting some killer guitar sounds from L8/GAP, and I'm sure I will have the same experience with the new L9 amps & effects. I simply use the same techniques I've found effective in my hardware amp modelers: Pre & post EQ (compression as needed) & some tasty Logic effects at the end. And I'm talking about anything from pristine cleans to raging high-gain solo tones and anything in between. I currently own almost every modeler known to man :lol:, including the amazing Axe-FX Ultra from Fractal Audio.

I am very demanding of all my guitar sounds, so I don't say this lightly - Is it possible that some of the amp critics just haven't learned how to program this combination well enough yet?

Thank-you. My View of GAP has always been positive. Combine it with Logic's Built in effects and automation features and "this bird can fly". GAP in Logic 9 with amp modeler looks both accessible and amazing from where I'm sitting.

Let me get this straight: If I had a mac mini I could use Logic PRO 9 but with my PPC dual G5 I'm out of luck? Well I might as well go PRO with my Mac Mini studio!

Cheers Apple!

The thing is the new minis blow your Dual G5 away.

It depends on how you make your music. Sure, the specs of the processor are "better," but I work in large sample based projects and have optimized my G5 w/ 7GB Ram & 4 internal HD's for sample streaming. You simply cant do this on a mac mini. Not to mention no PCI support for interfaces, DSP cards, etc. Same problem with the imac, though at least it goes up to 4gb ram.

But it's not just the specs. It's the real deal.

A Core 2 Duo CPU is much faster than a Dual PPC G5.

Much, much faster. No comparison.

In real life.

But you're right. If you need 4 internal HDs and PCI slots you gotta go with a Mac Pro, sorry.

BTW, the new mini support 4 GBs of 1066 MHz RAM.

Hey Eric,

Are there any new options for recording audio.. in loop/cycle?

I'm looking for "keep last complete cycle only" option... ala Cubase.

Or a "flatten" that "keeps" only the audio from the comp/region chossen.

Thanks

Eric

Eric/Lagerfeldt...

During the install...does it OVERWRITE all your saved ChannelStrips, KeyCommands, etc (or anything else in your USER folder???) Custom Icons???

or..does it recognize you have a folder structure of customs stuff and just add to it??

Everything is still intact.

Even Logic 8 ;)

My copy is en route, hopefully here Monday or Tuesday.

Since there's amp/guitar discussion going, I'll mention that I'm ditching my POX x3 Live. This has served as my audio interface but I'm going to sell it. Time to get something new. Anyone gota recommendation, something that'll work with the new Mainstage nicely?