Logic Studio 9!

thindave

@ Eric, is it possible to use the mouse wheel (if you have one of course!) to move the faders in the mixer etc?? I really want this function!!

Cheers.

Sorry!

No go.

Bugger! Thanks for checking. I requested this several thousand times!

If they make it an option then great, but I for one do not like this feature as it has the potential to do some great damage!! DP has this feature, and I will occasionally not realize my curser is over a fader when trying to scroll and BAM, my mix is now Fubar!

Maybe its me though. :-)

Yes, if you're clumsy enough perhaps, and if you can't reset you're mix from a minor point like that then I have zero sympathy for you. My FF800 works this way. In fact, the real benefit for me was the fact that Leopard allows you to do this when the window is not in focus. They could however have set it as an option, but they did not. Never mind....

we still have the 4GB RAM crash

Can anyone explain the crash?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if Logic was updated once Snow Leopard comes out.

Ok so Logic itself as a software application can only access a little bit less than 4GB of VRAM at a time. So if your session becomes to large then logic crashes. Now for most people you will never hit this cap. However if you use large sample librarys like the East West orchestra or Storm Drum or Mach Five then you will hit this cap rather quickly. For instance I use EW orchestral libraries. I can only load up a string and small brass section before Logic crash's because i've hit the 4 GB cap. I can't load winds choir, perc...etc or anything else for that matter, simply adding an audio file can crash it. Because everything takes up RAM.

This is a big problem that apple needs to address for film composers. If your recording a rock band no problem but for film people it is a big issue.

100% agreed. This is perhaps THE most urgent issue of Logic.

At least I can run standalone instances of my orchestral libraries, but such a setup is not the most user friendly solution.

I picked up the upgrade in the Apple store today. I am about to do the update to 10.5.7 and update my Quicktime and then start installing LP9. I don't know if I'll get to play much with it tonight, I do want to check out the guitar stuff, as I record a lot of guitar and don't always want to deal with setting mics up, etc...here's to hoping it all works!

I want to know one more thing.

Is the FX tails problem fixed?

This bug really annoys me. I have to play empty part for some seconds every time I bounce the mix. I really hope it's fixed.

Could anyone who already has L9 answer this question please?

Is this "audio/effects stuck in cache" problem fixed?

Thanks.

EricBradley/ChicoSatis/Dickwolf/Anyone else who has the upgrade:

Can you confirm whether or not this issue still exists?

...it has the potential to do some great damage!! DP has this feature, and I will occasionally not realize my curser is over a fader when trying to scroll and BAM, my mix is now Fubar!

Yes, if you're clumsy enough perhaps, and if you can't reset you're mix from a minor point like that then I have zero sympathy for you....

Weird attitude from someone who can't be bothered just moving the mouse a bit... :roll:

...it has the potential to do some great damage!! DP has this feature, and I will occasionally not realize my curser is over a fader when trying to scroll and BAM, my mix is now Fubar!

Yes, if you're clumsy enough perhaps, and if you can't reset you're mix from a minor point like that then I have zero sympathy for you....

Weird attitude from someone who can't be bothered just moving the mouse a bit... :roll:

Not quite sure I understand you? You obviously missed my point. By moving one fader by mistake, I hardly think it would ruin the entire mix! It's easily done without mouse wheel functionality. Thanks for your input though :lol:

I want to know one more thing.

Is the FX tails problem fixed?

This bug really annoys me. I have to play empty part for some seconds every time I bounce the mix. I really hope it's fixed.

Could anyone who already has L9 answer this question please?

Is this "audio/effects stuck in cache" problem fixed?

Thanks.

EricBradley/ChicoSatis/Dickwolf/Anyone else who has the upgrade:

Can you confirm whether or not this issue still exists?

Still waiting for mine to get here unfortunately. :cry:

Hopefully tomorrow.

If you're referring to say MPC groove templates/quantizes i'm having the same issue, i had the template's built into my Autoload , my Autoload seemed to be fine after the upgrade to 9 but my MPC quantizes don't show in the drop down menu, like before, the 'GROOVES' folder is still exactly where it was before, i even put a copy in the other application support/logic folder on my HD and still no luck. I'm including a screenshot and would appreciate any help if anyone knows how i can get those back in my dropdown menu, i use these all the time.

cheers C

doesnt import groove templates!!!!!!!!!

[ Screenshot deleted by moderator -- too wide! Read the Forum Guidelines for info on maximum picture width. Then feel free to repost a smaller-sized picture by hitting the EDIT button on your post and re-attaching the new picture ]

Ok i figured it out now, sorry.

If you're referring to say MPC groove templates/quantizes i'm having the same issue, i had the template's built into my Autoload , my Autoload seemed to be fine after the upgrade to 9 but my MPC quantizes don't show in the drop down menu, like before, the 'GROOVES' folder is still exactly where it was before, i even put a copy in the other application support/logic folder on my HD and still no luck. I'm including a screenshot and would appreciate any help if anyone knows how i can get those back in my dropdown menu, i use these all the time.

cheers C

doesnt import groove templates!!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering about the RAM issue. Is there still a 4GB brick wall?

That, and what seems to be more flexible notation would make the whole thing worthwhile. Now all I have to do is convince everyone I work with to upgrade at once.lol

i have 8gb installed but don't know how to check if it can use more than 4gb, if you know how to do this let me know and i'll run a test.

That, and what seems to be more flexible notation would make the whole thing worthwhile. Now all I have to do is convince everyone I work with to upgrade at once.lol

A lot of the machines I work on have more than 4GB of ram but, from what I understand, the OS doesn't allow you to use more than 4 including pgm, plugs, and samples. Things can get a little crowded on larger pieces. I suppose that's why sometimes a project will run better on my laptop (4GB ram + Tiger) than it will when I take it to a Mac Pro with 12 GB + Leopard. Go figure.

Not quite sure I understand you? You obviously missed my point. By moving one fader by mistake, I hardly think it would ruin the entire mix! It's easily done without mouse wheel functionality. Thanks for your input though :lol:

No, I understand perfectly. I was just commenting on the lazy calling the careful clumsy... :wink: Now that you have apologized to JT3_Jon there's no reason for me to carry on, so let's just leave it at that. :)

That aside, I think the faders in Logic would need to be longer to give it a smooth feel or just any degree of accuracy. Don't you?

Found on Sonikmatter (about RAM limitations and 64 bits)

"Is Logic a 64 bit application?

Logic is a hybrid 64/32 bit application - and has been since version 6/7!!!!!!!

Some internal processing of algorithms/data occurs at 64 bit resolution (i.e. it's a 64 bit calculation).

The 64 bit has NOTHING to do with audio quality. The audio engine of Logic remains 32 bit float, but it can calculate at 64 bit IF...and ONLY IF...an effect/instrument plug-in performs such calculations (some of the internal Logic plug-ins do). You should note that in some (or most) instances, it's of NO advantage to calculate at 64 bit....and would, in fact, actually slow down some operations/calculations.

When Snow Leopard becomes available, we will undoubtedly see improvements such as access to more memory for Logic itself (see the next section on the EXS24). As mentioned above, not all processes/internal mathematics will actually benefit from 64 bit precision, so some aspects of Logic will probably still execute 32 bit code as it is MORE efficient than equivalent 64 bit calculations.

About RAM and larger sample libraries...

Logic 9 allows the EXS24 and third party samplers to address more memory - on a Mac with 5GB or RAM or more. "

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/43916-logic-9-faq/