Logic Pro 9.1 Update

2) Kontakt 3.5 is showing as a 32 bit app, whereas I thought it was a 64 bit app. I could be wrong, I'm asking here.

Kontakt is 32bit for MAc 64bit on PC.

Will Logic run in 64bit if Snow Leopard is running in 32 bit? Like Finder/iCal currently do?

I'm surprised no one has complained yet that 64-bit mode only works under Snow Leopard. So what about 10.5 isn't 64-bit ready? That's sure what their marketing spiel said back in the day. That's jive and SL is not reliable enough to upgrade to yet. Still, it seems like a lot of bugs were fixed, and that's always good to see.

It's all groovy, and is working a lot better. Can't wait to give it a workout. A couple of things though:

1) BFD 2 isn't loading in 64 bit, even after the latest update. BFD 1, somehow, is.

wow, I'm surprised it's running at all. I had more problems with BFD than any other plugin EVER. Gave up. HUGE white noise bursts, cymbals cutting off...this update, that one....

Unrelated: OK, plugin manufacturers, Apple has laid down the gauntlet, port to 64 bit or DIE!!! hahahaha!

(giddy LP 64bit user)

OK so I did a quick test by instantiating 16 Omnispheres (32 bit.) I loaded patches in the first 12, recorded a part on all of them, and OMG it worked. When I attempted to load a patch in #13 however, I got the message "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly while using the Ominsphere plug-in" and then Logic crashed.

So, I conclude that Apple has done its part, and now it is incumbent on us to go to NAMM or use email and bug the living crap out of all the plug-in developers to go 64 bit.

So, I conclude that Apple has done its part, and now it is incumbent on us to go to NAMM or use email and bug the living crap out of all the plug-in developers to go 64 bit.

Some of these developers already have 64bit Windows versions of their products....Shouldn't be too hard for them to make the Mac versions 64bit also, right?

J.

Kontakt isn't 64 bit yet on mac. The only ones I know of are Stylus and Vienna.

Some things do seem zippier, like creating tracks.

Will Logic run in 64bit if Snow Leopard is running in 32 bit? Like Finder/iCal currently do?

You need to be on 64 bit hardware, but you don't need the kernel in 64 bit mode.

OK so I did a quick test by instantiating 16 Omnispheres (32 bit.) I loaded patches in the first 12, recorded a part on all of them, and OMG it worked. When I attempted to load a patch in #13 however, I got the message "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly while using the Ominsphere plug-in" and then Logic crashed.

What did the ram show in Activity Monitor before it crashed? I assume you hit the 32 bit ceiling of the bridge app.

Assigning a send to a new bus with Logic Control now creates a new Aux channel strip as expected.

Yay!

An issue that sometimes caused Logic to quit unexpectedly when adjusting parameters in Sonnox Oxford plug-ins is resolved.

Yay!

But will the update work on a G5? That's the question! Doesn't show up in my Software Update!

But will the update work on a G5? That's the question! Doesn't show up in my Software Update!

Logic Pro 9.1 and MainStage 2.1 are intel-only. There is no PowerPC code in the applications.

Argh! That's it!! I knew the day would come, but not this soon... blech. :(

Strangely, though, I can't even find the download on the Apple website, or anywhere that says it won't run on PPC.

The system requirements for Logic Studio don't list the PowerPC. This has not changed since Logic Studio shipped last summer.

Just to make sure, in 64bit, could Logic use more than 4GB of ram if I had more??

With 64 bit plugins, absolutely.

With 32 bit plugins, still limited to 4 gigs for those plugins, but it's a memory space separate from Logic, so way more than before.

My first test was loading up 64 tracks of Stylus 64 bit. Took a long time, but they all loaded and Logic showed use of over 5 gigs in Activity Monitor.

Just to make sure, in 64bit, could Logic use more than 4GB of ram if I had more??

With 64 bit plugins, absolutely.

With 32 bit plugins, still limited to 4 gigs for those plugins, but it's a memory space separate from Logic, so way more than before.

My first test was loading up 64 tracks of Stylus 64 bit. Took a long time, but they all loaded and Logic showed use of over 5 gigs in Activity Monitor.

I had read about the 32bit plug-ins situation, but I didn't know if the rest would! Thanks for the answer

Just updated in 9.1 and my MC Mix isn't recognize anymore ...

an idea ?

How can I use 32 bit with MAC OSX 10.5.8 ?

You are still in 32bit if you have 10.5.8!

If you wanna make sure, GET INFO on the Logic icon in your apps, and see if you have the 32 bit checked.

Edited by louisgab

Eucon Support isn't enabled in the 9.1 upgrade PLEASE READ THE FINE PRINT BEFORE YOU UPGRADE!!!

More specifically, eucon should work in 32 bit mode, just not 64. Or did I misunderstand that?

Absolutly. The limitations are ONLY for the 64-bit mode - which is OFF by default!

So if my computer is maxed out at 4 gigs of ram, does 64 bit mode help with anything?

As 32 bits is 4Gb address range, you need more than 4Gb for getting more memory working in one app instance for really making use of 64-bit addressing ranges. Does not hurt running in 64-bit mode but you don't get the benefits.

Edited by Kent Sandvik