Logic Pro 9.1 Update

It's probably operator error but in the new 64 bit There's no extract (import) audio from movie. The QT movie that does open has no volume control. Did I miss something?

No, that feature doesn't exist in 64-bit. I think Apple documented that in a KB article.

I'm pretty happy overall with the update, I just wish Euphonix would get Eucon up to speed with a 64bit compatible version of their protocol.. or whatever they need to do.

I think it's utter BS that a company with hardware dedicated to the platform can't be ready on day one of a new version of Logic. In the meantime I'm running Logic in 32bit.. I guess I need to evaluate if I need these controllers that much.

Would you prefer they'd waited for that 32 bit-bridge plug-in issue to be resolved before releasing Logic Pro 9.1 in September 2010? :D

You're funny. you know, I think the big problem Apple is having with Logic users is similar to the one Google is having with Nexus One. There is a clash between the corporate culture and the culture of the customer base. In this case, professional musicians who use DAWs expect a certain level of communication between themselves and the manufacturers they buy from. Apple, on the other hand, is a secretive bunch of f*cks. So people feel left in the dark and kind of not taken care of. When I go to the DiGI site, they tell you which versions of the Mac os are approved for which versions of Pro Tools and they tell which are currently being tested. When one goes to soundsonline, or the Native Instruments website, they tell you what they are working on, they let you know they are aware of certain bugs and will be fixing it. Apple tends to leave us all hanging, wondering everything from "Are they going to come out with some super update that will ruin everything" to "Are they going to ditch Logic altogether?"

Man, I don't know about this. Customers say the exact same thing about Cubase/Steinberg and Digital Performer/MOTU and EWQL and VSL and NI and so on and so on and so on. You go to the DIGI site and they tell you what versions of OSX are supported. So does Apple/Logic. They say what is currently being tested. Well, since there is only one OSX path that issue should be perfectly clear to you. They are working on supporting the next version of OSX that happens to be 64 bit.

Apple cannot help it if people run around screaming the sky is falling and wondering if `some super update will ruin everything' or `if they are going to ditch Logic altogether'. People who sit there worrying about such ridiculous topics deserve the stress they are creating for themselves. :shock: You want the same conversation? Go to the Steinberg forums. Is Cubase going to be ditched for Nuendo? Is Nuendo going to be ditched for Cubase? Will the next upgrade ruin everything? Now go to the Digital Performer forum. Is MOTU going to abandon DP? Probably because Sound on Sound dropped the DP tips and tricks article. LOL! My obvious point is that Apple is no more the secretive bunch of F*cks than any other DAW developer.

All companies are secretive. Why? Well, because they feel it protects their investment. People can choose to either continue banging their heads or not. I've found that just banging one's head does not accomplish much but bruise your head. I know from experience. :)

-Kevin

You're probably right about all you said. All I know is that when Apple took over Logic there seemed to be a very sudden drop-off in both the communication between the manufacturer and the customers and, obviously, a definite decrease in the importance of the product in the line-up of the company. Pro Tools is the most important thing DIGI makes. Logic was the most important thing eMagic made. Logic really doesn't rate in the overall Apple universe, except as something to strip down and bundle with iLife as Garage Band. That is the sense. And so, while this doesn't answer any questions, i think it leads to extra levels of frustration for users, which results in the release of 64 bit Logic (over which I was jumping up and down with excitement) being greeted with a big dose of "what does this mean for me" from a lot of users.

I think it's utter BS that a company with hardware dedicated to the platform can't be ready on day one of a new version of Logic.

That is impossible, even if they are ready with the software side, they need to test their software with the release version of the application. I would expect that even with an agressive schedule at least a 1-2 months delay is quite reasonable.

I think it's utter BS that a company with hardware dedicated to the platform can't be ready on day one of a new version of Logic.

That is impossible, even if they are ready with the software side, they need to test their software with the release version of the application. I would expect that even with an agressive schedule at least a 1-2 months delay is quite reasonable.

How was it that they had a 32bit version update ready day one then?

sooooo..... does this upgrade mean that all of Logics current plugins have been changed to 64 bit? :roll:

I thought the main advantage of 64-bit was access to more than 4GB RAM. If that's the main thing, I'm not sure any of the plugins would benefit - none use that much RAM, do they?

If you're working with bigger sample libraries like EW Play, etc, it's pretty easy to reach that 4 gig limit.

Pro Tools is the most important thing DIGI makes. Logic was the most important thing eMagic made. Logic really doesn't rate in the overall Apple universe, except as something to strip down and bundle with iLife as Garage Band.

Lets not forget that Digidesign, or Avid as it is now, put a lot of time, effort and money into making: Icon, D-Control, Protools LE, M-Powered, Windows Versions of all software, Venue, Reference Monitors, Eleven/Eleven Rack, Plugins, Mbox series interfaces, 003 series interfaces, and PT HD interfaces, as well as putting huge amounts of money into R&D for PCI DSP cards. So the protools software itself is probably not THE most important thing they make. Pro audio is also just one of the areas Avid operates within.

Sure Apple make iPod's, iTunes, Macs, etc etc, but as far as pro audio goes, they pretty much make Logic, Garageband, and Soundtrack Pro.

They're already in direct competition with Avid in the video market and have been doing a great job at catching them up with Final Cut Pro. I think Logic is pretty important to Apple especially in light of the frequency of software updates with version 9.

Plus Apple are always going to have a far bigger pot of available money to dip into when they need to make investments in terms research for new products, or additions to current products. And unlike digidesign they don't have a current user base who are reliant on ageing (nearing obsolete) hardware, for which they will have to offer support for the foreseeable future. Plus the fact that they also write the only OS their software is ever going to work on seems to be a pretty positive point, better integration with computer hardware, better performance, and better compatibility with new OS versions are things I'm used to with Logic.

I'm not just trying to tell you you're wrong, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this is just the way I see it at the moment. I think it's a good situation for Logic users, and I feel very encouraged by Apple's recent performance with updates and new features.

The issue of lack of communication IS and always will be very annoying and I don't, like you, think this is the right thing to do with a Pro grade application.

Even if there was some kind of Pro Support service where news and support could be offered directly to the user to lessen the extent of the information spreading, that would be better and more reassuring for the end user. I don't expect this to happen any time soon.

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight here. You raised an interesting point, one which I agreed whole heartedly with, right up until the release of version 9.

Maybe because the 32-bit-ness of Logic's memory handling has been around for ages?

Pro Tools is the most important thing DIGI makes.

Since Digi doesn't exist as a separate company anymore, it would be more relevant to look at how big Pro Tools is for Avid, and "Avid's Pro Tools solutions accounted for approx. 14% of their consolidated net revenues in 2008", according to their own reports. The HD range, where they historically have generated a lot of profit per sale, becomes less important for each year, since the market for DSP cards is diminishing rapidly. (The fact that they now can sell PT for half price - and most likely still make money on these sales - says a little bit about how profitable these sales must have been in the past.)

With four Logic updates since July it's pretty obvious that Logic has high priority also under Apple.

Besides the fact that the 9.1 update is fabulous, anyone who thinks Logic is nothing more than an afterthought to Apple should realize that 64-bit Logic was released now - well before 64-bit Final Cut Pro, before 64-bit Aperture, etc., etc.

I, too, wish Apple was more forthcoming about it's plans, but anyone familiar with the Apple way has to be aware that everything comes down from Steve Jobs, and he likes to keep a tight ship with no leaks. So far it's worked for him...

Maybe because the 32-bit-ness of Logic's memory handling has been around for ages?

Pro Tools is the most important thing DIGI makes.

Since Digi doesn't exist as a separate company anymore, it would be more relevant to look at how big Pro Tools is for Avid, and "Avid's Pro Tools solutions accounted for approx. 14% of their consolidated net revenues in 2008", according to their own reports. The HD range, where they historically have generated a lot of profit per sale, becomes less important for each year, since the market for DSP cards is diminishing rapidly. (The fact that they now can sell PT for half price - and most likely still make money on these sales - says a little bit about how profitable these sales must have been in the past.)

With four Logic updates since July it's pretty obvious that Logic has high priority also under Apple.

So what are the numbers for Logic with regards to consolidated net revenues for Apple?

Probably absolutely tiny by comparison, but it's a competitive market which Apple have always been a major part of, they sell thousands of macs in this market and fast ones too. It's a big money market where people have a preference for Apple.

Music in general is a big thing for Apple and yes, they do take parts of Logic and use for other things like Garageband, which also sells thousands of Macs. And they've cut the price of Logic MASSIVELY since taking it on, and have added huge tools too, Flex, Apple Loops, Huge built in instrument library and plugin set.

Plus it's only SO small by comparison as Apple makes an absolutely gigantic amount more money than Avid.

When do you think we're going to see a version of PTHD in 64bit? Never? Yeah quite possibly as the PCI TDM architecture is all 32bit. When are we going to see a version of PTHD which is actually certified to work with the most recent OS update on the day the OS update is released?

Thing is, as with most Apple products, yes you have to put up with the secrets around the announcements, but normally what you get is great.

Probably absolutely tiny by comparison, but it's a competitive market which Apple have always been a major part of, they sell thousands of macs in this market and fast ones too. It's a big money market where people have a preference for Apple.

Music in general is a big thing for Apple and yes, they do take parts of Logic and use for other things like Garageband, which also sells thousands of Macs. And they've cut the price of Logic MASSIVELY since taking it on, and have added huge tools too, Flex, Apple Loops, Huge built in instrument library and plugin set.

Plus it's only SO small by comparison as Apple makes an absolutely gigantic amount more money than Avid.

When do you think we're going to see a version of PTHD in 64bit? Never? Yeah quite possibly as the PCI TDM architecture is all 32bit. When are we going to see a version of PTHD which is actually certified to work with the most recent OS update on the day the OS update is released?

Thing is, as with most Apple products, yes you have to put up with the secrets around the announcements, but normally what you get is great.

Hey, I am thrilled with 64 bit Logic. Ask my boyfriend. I was dancing around the house like an idiot. All I'm saying, and was trying to in my original comment, is that I think that Apple has a corporate culture that is a bit at odds with what users of music software are most comfortable with and so people tend to FREAK OUT when there is any change. This has less to do with the product and more to do with relating to customers. That's why I compared it to the Google Phone, which not only had short comings as a product, but was a bit of a debacle as far as tech support/customer relations is concerned. This is exacerbated, I think, by the sudden stoppage of updates to Logic 8, which was riddled with all sorts of technical problems which never got resolved with a regular service update, which was frustrating as hell. So people see a few problems here and there with this update and wonder "will they ever be fixed or are these just things we live with until Logic 10."

Hi all,

Don't want to hijack the 64-bit thread ... but being inspired by this thread to possibly buy the awesome Omnisphere ... I worked out that on my MacBok Pro I would have to

1. upgrade from Logic 8 to Logic 9.1

2. upgrade from OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard

3. buy Omnisphere

and whats the point of getting all that 64-bit power if I only have 4Gb of RAM??? So I also looked into putting in more RAM ......

And discovered that my MBP (Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1) will only take 4Gb RAM :_(

So, if I'm not going 64-bit .. I'll stay with Logic 8 and OSX 10.5.x for the moment as its very stable ....

Does anyone know how Omnisphere handles itself with Logic 8 and OSX 10.5.x?

Thanks,

Hi all,

Don't want to hijack the 64-bit thread ... but being inspired by this thread to possibly buy the awesome Omnisphere ... I worked out that on my MacBok Pro I would have to

1. upgrade from Logic 8 to Logic 9.1

2. upgrade from OSX 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard

3. buy Omnisphere

and whats the point of getting all that 64-bit power if I only have 4Gb of RAM??? So I also looked into putting in more RAM ......

And discovered that my MBP (Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1) will only take 4Gb RAM :_(

So, if I'm not going 64-bit .. I'll stay with Logic 8 and OSX 10.5.x for the moment as its very stable ....

Does anyone know how Omnisphere handles itself with Logic 8 and OSX 10.5.x?

Thanks,

Omnisphere is awesome. A bit of a memory hog but really awesome. I've been using it in Logic 8 since it came out, as Logic 9 was released while I was in the middle of a project which went from short term to seemingly endless in the blink of an eye. but It works great.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else been having issue with any Native Instrument plugs? Logic was crashing left and right last night when I tried to run Akoustik Piano or Kontakt 3.

I updated to Kontakt v4.03 and no issues since then but v3.x was a bit of a pain.....

Again, I'm not trying to start a fight here. You raised an interesting point, one which I agreed whole heartedly with, right up until the release of version 9.

I don't see this as an argument. But i will throw in two points. Logic 8 sat around with so many bugs being ignored for most of it's run. Logic 9 seemed, when i first read about it, to be a fulfillment of my wish list for Logic 8 fixes (some of them should have been offered as a service update.) But, before I could load it, I found out that it was not so great for people who use third party samplers that access large sound libraries, which is my bread and butter. So I avoided the update and am stuck in 8 until my current project is done. But the point that many film composers were telling me not to update if you use Play (especially) or Kontakt, tells me that Apple does not understand a lot of it's market for Logic and probably doesn't have the right approach toward working with developers of AU plug-ins.

It seems that some of these issues might be being addressed with not only the 64 bit update and the news that the OS 10.6.3 is going to specifically address issues related to Logic performance. This might in part be due to a bit of a groundswell among professional composers to start operating on Windows 7 systems. I've been hearing about that from a lot of folks lately and it is quite a change from the picture a few years ago when Paul Allen sat in on a recording session of mine and said "I run Macs in my recording studios. PCs suck for audio."

Hi,

I've encountered a problem since updating to 9.1, maybe somebody can shed some light!

yesterday I bought some giga files from westgate studios, the modular series woodwinds. Before updating I imported the clarinet into exs and everything worked fine. after that I ran the update, and this morning I started loading the other instruments, but now there is a problem with mapping, it can't find the audio files after converting the gig file.

Anyone else have this problem? And know of a fix?

Is there a way to roll back to 9.02?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

edit

I found a way...logic 9.02 is still listed in my applications folder...opening the gig files in 9.02 still works fine...after that I can boot 9.1 and use them as exs files.

Still a bit cumbersome, hope they fix this issue!

Have someone this behaveor?:

Cycle an audio region, make fades in & out to the region, and while playing in cylce mode changing the fades values won't do nothing, i must stop then hit play to hear the changes of the fades...

thankyou!

I think that't normal. You have to stop Logic and then press play to get the fade files recalculated...

Right I've read half way through this thread so apologies if this has been asked before.

Long file names problem? Can someone explain this? How exactly will it affect me?

Without 64-bit Audio Units is this update worth the upgrade from 9.0.2 (disregarding bug fixes) - ie is it noticeably quicker?

10.6.2 - Logic 9.0.2 Core 2 Duo

Have someone this behaveor?:

Cycle an audio region, make fades in & out to the region, and while playing in cylce mode changing the fades values won't do nothing, i must stop then hit play to hear the changes of the fades...

thankyou!

I think that't normal. You have to stop Logic and then press play to get the fade files recalculated...

It is normal for Logic but, and absolutely no disrespect to you Involver, things like this really annoy me about Logic as it shouldn't need to stop to recalculate as this can really knock the creative flow...

Right I've read half way through this thread so apologies if this has been asked before.

Long file names problem? Can someone explain this? How exactly will it affect me?

Without 64-bit Audio Units is this update worth the upgrade from 9.0.2 (disregarding bug fixes) - ie is it noticeably quicker?

10.6.2 - Logic 9.0.2 Core 2 Duo

If you bounce a file with a very long filename it will no longer be truncated.

If you ever run into memory limitations in your current workflow it might be worth giving 64bit a go, IF you have over 4GB of RAM. The are caveats which I'm sure you know about, so don't expect it to work 100% for you straight away.