Logic Pro 9.1 Update

Just updated to 9.1 and switched to 64bit

I was working on a project which used 5 instances of Omnisphere and one of Trillian along with battery and some other plugs and was always getting that memory low error.

After updating, I am happy to say it now looks to be a thing of the past. I opened the project everything loaded ok.

So as a test I added three more instances of Trillian with the chapman stick/Fender Jazz bass and the retro patches with no problems.

Early days but so far so good. This is just what I needed.

Excellent to see this milestone passed.

Now we're at the "iron the issues that come with the milestone out" phase.

I have a suggestion:

One thing we did on the Sonar forum a few years ago when Sonar went 64bit was to start a single thread on which we tracked which 32bit plugins had issues with their bridge technology...

They called it bitbridge, where apple calls it aubridge or something like that, but the point is the same:

- there will be some 32bit plugins that don't work so well under the bridge

Most of this was ironed out after we collectively informed both Cakewalk and the plugin manufacturers of the issues.

As a result, and with the addition of optionally adding jbridge to the mix, pretty much everything works now. I'd go so far as to assert that some plugins went 64bit faster because of it.

Sometime later we started a thread on which plugins were 64bit for that platform.

Sort of aggregate threads, as opposed to a zillion "this doesn't work" threads.

I think they work well, since you can point tech support and otherwise reference the thread when trying to get some solutions.

In any event, I'm very excited to see this happen. It's been 3 years since I first started my 64bit DAW journey, and it's been... bumpy, to say the least. There were even times when I went back to 32bit because I was sick of it. Development has been SO slow.

But it's quickening, IMHO:

NI, Spectrasonics, and a few others seem quite serious about moving on...

Logic, Cubase (on Windows anyway), Reaper and Sonar are 64bit.

The inertia is definitely there. And for the first time in 3 years of watching, I'd say we're finally past the half-way point to being 100% 64bit, but with the optimistic estimate of thinking the last 50% will take significantly less time than the first 50% did. Maybe... 18 months.

Good news.

- zevo

Well, I'm right at the tail end of a long job, and against all common wisdom, I updated not only to Snow Leopard, but Logic 9.1 too. I know that's crazy, but I was getting tons of low memory warnings in 9.02, so figured it couldn't get any worse.

I was right. So far, knock on wood, Logic 9.1 in 64-bit mode is killer. I've been sailing through these cues that were causing so many memory issues before. I've got to hand it them for getting this incredible update together. So glad I switched from DP a while ago.

Using many, many Kontakt 4s and EXS24s, VSL, Omnisphere and RMX. All good.

All my 32-bit plug-ins are working fine: Waves, Sonnox, Lexicon Native Reverb Bundle, Sound Toys, Altiverb, etc.

And Logic feels snappier, not slower on my 8-core.

Edited by 63strat

Are you using Kontakt's Memory Server still? (just curious!)

- robjohn99

Yes, since K4 is not yet 64-bit for Mac. It seems to be working fine.

And do you have Kontakt's multi-processors set to "off"? (again just curious!)

- robjohn99

No. Kontakt's Multiprocessor support is ON (NI recommends trying either now, contrary to what they used to recommend about 6 months ago, when they suggested leaving it off when using multiple instantiations).

coool.

hey..post a picture of your Strat!!

Don't have a pic handy, but it's Lake Placid Blue. (now I'm really off-topic!) Sorry...

:D :D

LPB is my favourite Fender colour ever. I have one Squier that was repainted in LPB that I got from CL, but right now I'm on the hunt for a P-bass with a maple neck, LPB body, and a red tort guard!!!!!

Don't get me wrong I would rather have all the little bugs fixed before getting new features. It's just the visual cues for video would be my wishlist feature. Yet I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

I would totally give up on Apple giving two sh*ts about film composers. Sometimes I think that they enjoy that every music editor, Oracle operator, conductor and orchestrator in town groans when they find out you work in Logic. But you can make streamers with markers. Create markers without rounding, lock SMPTE, give them color up in the global tracks, insert text in the marker window, make it really big if you want, then open the marker window as a float or on the side. You can adjust the size of the text/color portion at the bottom so the it takes up the whole right side of arrange window and viola! Streamers.

But these are surrogate streamers, the real ones run from left to right and then punch appear on the sync place.

Better than nothing, however, tanx... :D

On Topic again: can't find MY needs: is this update worthing on my MBP 4Gb of ram? If I run it at 32bit do I have improvements? The bug fixes are also for 32 bitters?? :o

Are you using Kontakt's Memory Server still? (just curious!)

- robjohn99

Yes, since K4 is not yet 64-bit for Mac. It seems to be working fine.

And do you have Kontakt's multi-processors set to "off"? (again just curious!)

- robjohn99

No. Kontakt's Multiprocessor support is ON (NI recommends trying either now, contrary to what they used to recommend about 6 months ago, when they suggested leaving it off when using multiple instantiations).

I'vd now loaded multiple instances of K4 into Logic 9.1 with (as you suggest) multiprocessor set to on (I believe 16) and KMS on, and I can report that it DEFINITELY works better than using any other combination - in particular, there was a spot in a certain cue that ALWAYS choked, no matter what I tried, and now it plays without interruption. So I'm now a happy camper :-)

- robjohn99

Does anyone know if EXS24 is now 64-bit?

If so, then why does it still have a switch for Virtual Memory Active? :shock:

Yes,

With VM active it loads faster but if you turn it off you can load as much RAM as your computer has from the git-go.

Ah thanks Jay. That explains it.

This update has really made me feel very differently about Apple and Logic - different in a positive way.

just occurred to me...This major update coming out just two days before NAMM???? Wonder if we're gonna see a whole bunch of 64-bit updates from all the 3rd party companies. Spectrasonics is dropping some fun hints :)

That's exactly what I was thinking. Apple releases this now, then at NAMM a number of plugs get demoed in 64 bit. Assuming that no other DAWs go 64 bit at NAMM, that's a bunch of companies running their demos on Logic and basically giving it free press. Smart timing.

Has there been any indication that Apple are utilising Grand Central Dispatch in Logic Pro 9.1? I imagine that optimising the use of multiple cores is just as invaluable as providing access to more RAM.

Doesn't look like it. The update is great, but it's disappointing that it looks like it is still limited to 8 threads, so it's still only using around half the processing on an octo MP, about the same as an i7. Let's hope that is next on their to-do list.

Has there been any indication that Apple are utilising Grand Central Dispatch in Logic Pro 9.1? I imagine that optimising the use of multiple cores is just as invaluable as providing access to more RAM.

Doesn't look like it. The update is great, but it's disappointing that it looks like it is still limited to 8 threads, so it's still only using around half the processing on an octo MP, about the same as an i7. Let's hope that is next on their to-do list.

Not sue what is going on there. In Logic 8 my octo-MP showed 16 cores in the CPU meter - the latest octos have 2 virtual cores per physical cores, so this made sense.

After the upgrade to Logic 9 the CPU meter only shows 8, but it's not clear if these are physical or virtual cores.

Would be nice if Apple explained, and even nicer if the demonstrated the capabilities of GCD using their Pro Apps :-)

EuControl Software Package Version 2.5.2

Mac OSX

Software update for MC Control, MC Mix and MC Transport that provides compatibility with Apple's Logic 9.1 software update, support for Apple Color 1.5, as well as several performance improvements that include improved stability when using certain foreign languages. Intel & Power PC Macs running OSX 10.5 and higher.

http://www.euphonix.com/artist/support/myeuphonix/