Logic Pro 9.1 Update

Well Apple surprises us all once again! :shock:

We moan and moan about how terrible they are and then suddenly we get 64-bit native support for nothing! And you can run 32-bit plug-ins. This is the best possible situation for me – especially some of my plug-ins are never going to be updated because they are discontinued.

Thanks to Apple. This will undoubtedly be a new dawn for Logic. :D

sooooo..... does this upgrade mean that all of Logics current plugins have been changed to 64 bit? :roll:

I thought the main advantage of 64-bit was access to more than 4GB RAM. If that's the main thing, I'm not sure any of the plugins would benefit - none use that much RAM, do they?

Looks like they're all 64 bit, I assume all included plugins are as well.

Even if they don't use much memory, you want them 64 bit so you don't have to use the bridge, and if you are using them with other ram hungry plugins, every bit of memory adds up. I can't imagine them shipping the app without all plugins in 64 bit.

Strangely, though, I can't even find the download on the Apple website, or anywhere that says it won't run on PPC.

The system requirements for Logic Studio don't list the PowerPC. This has not changed since Logic Studio shipped last summer.

That's true, but I've been running 9.0.0 with very few problems since it came out on a PPC. They say they don't support the machine, but it definitely runs on it.

The issue is that you need more RAM in order to benifit.

16TB is a great deal of memory, and the largest capacity is what 8TB?

Compare that to the users listed with 16GB of RAM. Where is all this leading? New Computers.

The programs are going to get larger and larger, these puny 24Gb Ram systems are soon to be obsolete.

My poor little macbook with 2Gb of RAM will have to do when I am playing out Live with Main Stage.

Snow Leopard and/or the upgrade will do me no good.

Yes the update is free, yes SL is only a few dollars. Start saving for your next computer. Get ready to remortgage your house, sell your kids and pets.

A change is a comin ...

Bang. This is sweet. I have a 35 track project, with 13 instances of the linear phase EQ, a bunch of other plugs from T-Racks and RNDigital and whatnot, all mixed at 96k. This is a mix that I specifically did to see how much punishment Logic and my computer could take.

It slams 7 cores in Logic, and works without a hiccup. This is everything I was hoping it would be. No error messages.

Edit: I added linear phase EQ to every track, for a total of 35 or so, and added a few more third party plugs along with a few more Space Designers. No problems. This is finally what I was always hoping it would be. Awesome.

1136531262_Screenshot2010-01-12at4_37_02PM.thumb.png.5dc1a2292021341d61dd1d128aa2dfbf.png

Edited by Larry Mal

9.1 is Intel code only.

9.0.2 was Universal Binary.

Thanks for clearing that up, Eric. Looks like some of us have finally hit the ceiling of our trusty steeds with 9.0.2 then. It's been a good ride though. I won't be shelling out too soon for a new machine. I kinda like being a bit behind the curve on this stuff anyway. Besides, I think we'll see some pretty hefty advances in hardware over the next year or so. I'm holding out as long as I can.

Hey man, If I ask the question, it's because I read the note and I saw that's only in 64 bit that the problem should appear for the MC Mix. But, I'm in 32 bit.

THAT SHOULD WORK !

I'm not english but I understand what I read.

Euphonix will be posting software today.

Please send me a PM with your email address so we can get software to you ASAP.

Thanks,

JC Haydon

Euphonix inc

I won't be shelling out too soon for a new machine. I kinda like being a bit behind the curve on this stuff anyway. Besides, I think we'll see some pretty hefty advances in hardware over the next year or so. I'm holding out as long as I can.

+1, Could not agree more.

Who knows what is up Apples sleve next with the pro machines?

I think in about a year we will start seeing the best value for the money too.

Something about those new machines gets people to spend money they don't have.

Time to start stashing those $100 bills in the little piggy!

8)

The most important bugs for me are still not fixed.

1) Volume fader values and volume automation data still can not be matched, e.g. fader value of +1.3 dB can only manually be set to +1.2 or +1.4 in track automation. You can set it initially to +1.3 dB (when activating volume automation for the first time on that track) but you can not manually change it afterwards and it causes a new problem:

2) Changing an automation curve between points where one of the points is +1.3 dB or similar unmatchable value will cause the +1.3 dB node to change to the nearest value, i.e. +1.2 dB causing a dropping volume line.

3) Logic 9 requires multiple mouse pulls in order to lift/lower a line between two automation points. This only required 1 pull in Logic 8, basically ruining this functionality in Logic 9.

The bugs can be viewed in this thread:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=49472

If anyone has information regarding how to avoid these bugs in Logic 9.1. please let me know!

So now that Logic is 64 bit will we be able to run Omnisphere & Trilian with out those low memory warnings in Logic 9? Is that a thing of the past now?

It's quite a bit better already, but they still have the 4 gig limit (although now it's a separate 4 gig) since they are 32 bit plugins.

Once they go 64 bit they should be able to use all ram in your machine. And Eric from Spectrasonics just posted that they'll have an announcement at NAMM this week, so hopefully soon.

So now that Logic is 64 bit will we be able to run Omnisphere & Trilian with out those low memory warnings in Logic 9? Is that a thing of the past now?

It's quite a bit better already, but they still have the 4 gig limit (although now it's a separate 4 gig) since they are 32 bit plugins.

Once they go 64 bit they should be able to use all ram in your machine. And Eric from Spectrasonics just posted that they'll have an announcement at NAMM this week, so hopefully soon.

so with the new update when running your 32 bit apps the warning messages won't appear as fequently?

so with the new update when running your 32 bit apps the warning messages won't appear as fequently?

Running the app as 32, you'll see the same warnings and crashes.

If you run the app in 64 bit, you should see much fewer warnings and crashes (assuming you have a decent amount of ram), although if you keep adding 32 bit plugins (or run out of hardware memory in 64 bit) you'll still see them.

I opened a test session with 29 big instruments (32 bit eastwest PLAY plugin) - ran fine in 64 bit, when I opened it in 32 it disabled five instruments due to lack of memory, then immediately crashed.