(the) Logic Pro X Rumours Thread

Darude

The only worthwhile thing that has come out of close to thirty pages of posts on this subject is the lone statement by ski,
I mean, it's Barbie, right? So that means it's both plastic AND fantastic.
, which is classic, singularly wonderful, succinct and, i believe, shows that he may have missed his calling. :( Edited by logic8mine

The only worthwhile thing that has come out of close to thirty pages of posts on this subject is the lone statement by ski,
I mean' date=' it's Barbie, right? So that means it's both plastic AND fantastic.[/quote'], which is classic, singularly wornderful, succinct and, i believe, shows that he may have missed his calling. :(

Don't forget ProFools.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this could be something implemented in a future version of something Logic related.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/11/13/apple-patent-could-bring-polyphonic-tuning-to-logic-pro

Personally, I would love to see Apple do something like this. Not that Celemony and Antares are bad because I use both, but it's nice to have an in-house package that's able to do what third-party companies are doing.

I kinda have the feeling that we wont be seeing Logic X for quite a while... heard a roumer that they were copmpletely re-building it from the ground up anyway.

Kinda like FCPX.... kinda makes me feel that the use of it will be a brand new learning curve. Just a brand new DAW to learn from the begining, which kinda sucks...

I would be very surprised they would go down that route of rewriting from the ground up a software the size of Logic. Especially in one go! That would make them far behind their competitor in many aspects, especially the marketing and the beta-testing. This would be really stupid from them, and that would definitely kill the license if that would involve a new learning curve for the users, it would open the door for cross-grade big time! Imagine users force to learn from almost zero a new piece of software that has "probably" just made the alpha/beta testing compare to other DAW almost as good as Logic but strongly established!!

Definitely that would be suicidal!

I would be very surprised they would go down that route of rewriting from the ground up a software the size of Logic. Especially in one go! That would make them far behind their competitor in many aspects, especially the marketing and the beta-testing. This would be really stupid from them, and that would definitely kill the license if that would involve a new learning curve for the users, it would open the door for cross-grade big time! Imagine users force to learn from almost zero a new piece of software that has "probably" just made the alpha/beta testing compare to other DAW almost as good as Logic but strongly established!!

Definitely that would be suicidal!

It's not that big of a deal, that's what happened when cubase SX 1.0 came out.

Also, apple is not known to shy away from from suicidal and unexpected products.

At this hour, nothing from apple surprises me, be it life-changing or plain disastrous..

Logic isn't a suicidal product though...? It is already a huge success... isn't it...?

Whatever happens to Logic in future versions is sort of lesser importance though as I see it, because my version of Logic seems to do what I want to do. Yes I am sure there are the absolute minority of users who experience some issues, but I guess those are a very very small minority.

Whatever happens to Logic in future versions is sort of lesser importance though as I see it, because my version of Logic seems to do what I want to do.

That's true, it all comes down to what you want to do accomplish, and what you need from your DAW.

But the problem with logic is (as I see from the posts) that it's starting to show its age (compared to the current technology) and users feel a sense of abandonment, while other DAWs get major (though expensive) updates regularly.

Again, logic is still a very capable -if not the best- DAW, and probably will be a major contender and a rock solid choice even if it doesn't get a major update for another 5 years.

But it's human nature, we always compare things, want the very best; and with today's marketing practices and expectations of logic geeks like us, it's inevitable to have a little bit of excitement regarding the next version of logic.

I kinda have the feeling that we wont be seeing Logic X for quite a while... heard a roumer that they were copmpletely re-building it from the ground up anyway.

Kinda like FCPX....

FCPX *had* to be rearchitected from the ground up as FCP7's architecture was hopelessly old, out of date, and unable to cope with current machines, let alone future ones.

This is not the case with Logic, which is consistently one of the first large-scale apps to support an advanced architecture like 64-bitness.

There are many areas which Logic could be better at, and we all have our favourite long-staning issues that really need sorting out once and for all, but throwing it away and starting from scratch is not a sensible decision based on real evidence.

However, it is possible that a new version may be longer in the works because they are doing something relatively sizeable - for example, re-architecting the whole environment/MIDI handling and all the associated work that involves, rather than "simply* add some bigger new features and fixing some bugs and calling it a point.naught release. It probably makes sense to make an effort to strip out some of the old crap to move forward.

Everyone that suggests Logic might be scrapped and a new app developed from scratch because Apple did it with Final Cut suggests to me that they don't really know their facts as to why these decisions were/are made.

Of course, with Apple, you never know...

Whatever happens to Logic in future versions is sort of lesser importance though as I see it, because my version of Logic seems to do what I want to do.

That's true, it all comes down to what you want to do accomplish, and what you need from your DAW.

But the problem with logic is (as I see from the posts) that it's starting to show its age (compared to the current technology) and users feel a sense of abandonment, while other DAWs get major (though expensive) updates regularly.

Again, logic is still a very capable -if not the best- DAW, and probably will be a major contender and a rock solid choice even if it doesn't get a major update for another 5 years.

But it's human nature, we always compare things, want the very best; and with today's marketing practices and expectations of logic geeks like us, it's inevitable to have a little bit of excitement regarding the next version of logic.

Yes indeed, very eloquent post. Great points made.

On a related note, Cubase 7 is announced and it's pretty slick:

http://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=7327&L=1&et_cid=22&et_lid=64

Of course I know I should just concentrate on making my music rather than getting obsessed about the tools I use, but seeing new shiny toys like that just make me feel a little frustrated to be left behind as a logic user :|

I don't care what happens in Logic X just as long as it doesn't have a patronising drop-down menu called "Share".

I like it. Makes it quick and easy to put drafts from for eg. FCPX wherever you need them to be. I don't feel patronized at all, I feel I got something done with fewer mouse clicks.

With Apple's polyphonic tuning patent and recent talent acquisition (i.e. Redmatica), I can't see that this is only needed for iPhone development or even GarageBand. There must be something in the pipeline.

Apple never paid much attention to the competition and developed on their own pace, whenever a product was ready. However that changed a bit lately. So maybe having other DAWs breathing down their neck will help speed things up a bit. Whatever it will be, please don't throw away the Environment, just give it the long over due facelift.

How about a total different and crazy angle. New reports talking about Apple moving away from from Intel to ARM processors, also on their desktop. So maybe the new Logic X will be the first non-Intel app on the Macs on ARM or a completely new Apple Chip. Apple components all the ways, hardware, processor architecture, software … just a thought.

So maybe the new Logic X will be the first non-Intel app on the Macs on ARM or a completely new Apple Chip. Apple components all the ways, hardware, processor architecture, software … just a thought.

If it was true (as far as I've seen, they haven't been *reports*, but *rumours*), then we'd be waiting for X for years, as that kind of a switch is not a quick one (not even taking into consideration that it wouldn't make much sense, not at this point and this quick anyway), and if for whatever weird reason LX came our tomorrow or Q1 2013 for ARM-processors only, then the manufacturers would play catch-up for the next 2 years and smart professionals would avoid 10.0.0 version because of all the kinks.

So maybe the new Logic X will be the first non-Intel app on the Macs on ARM or a completely new Apple Chip. Apple components all the ways, hardware, processor architecture, software … just a thought.

If it was true (as far as I've seen, they haven't been *reports*, but *rumours*), then we'd be waiting for X for years, as that kind of a switch is not a quick one (not even taking into consideration that it wouldn't make much sense, not at this point and this quick anyway), and if for whatever weird reason LX came our tomorrow or Q1 2013 for ARM-processors only, then the manufacturers would play catch-up for the next 2 years and smart professionals would avoid 10.0.0 version because of all the kinks.

if/when logic X happens, i will be the first in line for it. i love the workflow now, but love a challenge even more... :mrgreen:

I really don't see why Apple needs to put us through all this guessing and waiting. Why can't they just be open about what's going on. Could they not just give us a tentative release date. It annoys me more than gets me excited about a new Logic.

apple NEVER does that, about anything. why would they treat logic users any differently than FCP, or mac users? or anyone? the thing to do is...keep working. if/when X comes, i'm ON IT (and as above, would also keep 9 just in case...) 8)

How about a total different and crazy angle. New reports talking about Apple moving away from from Intel to ARM processors, also on their desktop. So maybe the new Logic X will be the first non-Intel app on the Macs on ARM or a completely new Apple Chip. Apple components all the ways, hardware, processor architecture, software … just a thought.

God, I hope not.......

Could they not just give us a tentative release date. It annoys me more than gets me excited about a new Logic.

I get the annoyance at Apple's silence. But software release dates are difficult to set, difficult to agree on, involve many many variables, and ultimately often change at the very last minute. What if Apple had announced May 2011 as a tentative release date, then at the end of May 2011 they'd pushed that date back to October 2011, then pushed it back to January 2012, then to June 2012, then pushed it back some more, and we were still waiting. Would that be any less annoying? Do you think we'd see less complaining from the Logic user community? Would more tentative release date announcements continue to have any meaning to us? What if back in 2009, they'd announced a Logic X released date of, say, June 2013. Would that have curbed the user complaints?

There's this false notion that Apple knows exactly when Logic X will be released but choses not to share that information - it's not that simple. By not sharing tentative release dates with their customers ahead of time, Apple avoids having to deal with communicating why they chose a certain release date, why it ultimately got pushed back, when the next release date is scheduled, why things aren't going according to plan, etc etc. Personally I would rather have Apple focusing on developing great products at their own pace and releasing them whenever they feel like it rather than having them spend time and money communicating with their users, explaining themselves, defending themselves, excusing themselves for not respecting a previously announced release date, etc etc...

I feel like this is a specific area where Apple cannot win: Keep silent? Users will complain. Announce release dates? Users will complain. Ultimately the only way to stop the users from complaining would be to discontinue the product. But as they continue developing it and releasing new versions, people will continue complaining about the way the product is developed, the lack of new feature, the presence of old bugs, the introduction of new bugs, the lack of release announcements, the lack of bug fix versions, etc etc....