Welcome to our new forum!

Could the quotes be highlighted to make them more visible as quotes?

Yes, definitely, in fact they don't look quite right as they are now. The text looks like it's about to spill out of the quote's frame. Something on my list.

I see that links to sites outside the forum replace the present window. On the old forum they would automatically open in a new tab, which I liked. I know I can Control click for that but it was a nice touch.

OK you're not the first one, so I'll have to look into this as well. Thanks for the feedback.

Is the "view your posts" button now history? That was a very handy feature. I'll miss that one for sure. Oh.... I see it's in my user control panel. Not quite as handy but I'm glad it's still there.

We could try to bring it back to the top of the Board index. Let me add that to the list.

Anyway, great work here! You deserve a holiday. Like maybe a second Christmas or something?

No holiday for me this year I'm afraid. :(

I suppose the search engines will eventually reindex the site, so that should improve with time. Don't know what could be done about links embedded in other places though. A redirect from the old URL (http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php) to the forum index page would be better than the 404.

Yup, we'll have to work on all that redirect stuff, thanks for pointing it out.

Sweet - nice work.

The text looks like it's about to spill out of the quote's frame. Something on my list.
cool

If you try to access an old thread link and get a 404 you'll need to manually replace...logicprohelp.com/...with...logicprohelp.com/forum/

phew - glad I can still get to those gems I've saved over the years.

Thanks, P.

Wow. I'm just discovering one potentially major bummer here. None of the links to old LPH posts that I've tested go to this site. For instance, if I do a search through google (which was actually very effective) to find a particular topic, even ones I've gone to in the past, I can see the link in the search but if I click on that link it always goes to a "404 page not found". I have at least a couple of hundred LPH links that I've bookmarked in the Notebook application and all of them are dead in the water now. Same with any saved in Firefox. Is this temporary or are all our bookmarks and and searches doomed to this fate?

EDIT: David, I see the post ahead of me you're basically saying to edit all our book marks. :shock: That will take a while but it still won't do anything for all the ones online. Or will their status magically change through the mechanics of Google?

I hear you guys, but on that one I suggest we wait a few weeks see how you feel after a while getting familiar with the new designed. I personally hated the avatars on the right at first, but finally got used to them, and they make sense to me now:

Now like I said, this takes a bit of getting used to (it took me a few weeks). So let's wait a bit and see what the consensus is then.

I dislike it on every other board I'm on, and disliked it when they went through changes to shift from the left to the right. And in fact, the only forums I can remember that did a board upgrade in recent memory and initially went to avatars on the right, shifted them back to the left before to long.

On boards discussing trivial or fun topics, I would suggest it probably doesn't matter, because you are more interested in the content first, the poster second.

However, on boards where skilled, helpful posters hang out, and the username/avatar is a quick guide to the authority of the content, I *absolutely* think it makes sense to have the names on the left.

For me, at least, I'm quite sure that I will never prefer it. I *have* tried. It just doesn't work. I want to know who is speaking, and if it takes twice as much "work" to digest the forum, I will simply come less often, and spend less time here. But as you say, it will take some time for things to shake down and tweak for everybody's tastes.

And then you'll switch the avatars back to the left, and there will be much rejoicing...! ;)

Wow. I'm just discovering one potentially major bummer here. None of the links to old LPH posts that I've tested go to this site. For instance, if I do a search through google (which was actually very effective) to find a particular topic, even ones I've gone to in the past, I can see the link in the search but if I click on that link it always goes to a "404 page not found". I have at least a couple of hundred LPH links that I've bookmarked in the Notebook application and all of them are dead in the water now. Same with any saved in Firefox. Is this temporary or are all our bookmarks and and searches doomed to this fate?

EDIT: David, I see the post ahead of me you're basically saying to edit all our book marks. :shock: That will take a while but it still won't do anything for all the ones online. Or will their status magically change through the mechanics of Google?

It's just that the url format is different now. *if* the indexing numbers (ie, forum thread ID's etc are the same - I haven't checked) it should be possible to do some server magic to translate key old url's into the new format on the fly. In the mean time, for important stuff, you can always use the site search to locate the content you are looking for, rather than google.

I suggest we wait a few weeks see how you feel after a while

I dislike it on every other board I'm on, and disliked it when they went through changes to shift from the left to the right. (...)

For me, at least, I'm quite sure that I will never prefer it. I *have* tried. It just doesn't work. I want to know who is speaking, and if it takes twice as much "work" to digest the forum, I will simply come less often, and spend less time here.

Duly noted. I'm definitely considering everyone's opinion here, and yours is certainly an important one as you're a long time member and important contributor, so I definitely wouldn't do anything to alienate you. Food for thought.

And then you'll switch the avatars back to the left, and there will be much rejoicing...! ;)

I'll bet you a Macintosh Apple that at least some users will complain that I have changed the layout back to the "old ways" when they really preferred the new way of keeping the avatar and user info tucked away to the right. Not that it means anything, other than through experience I've learned that you just can't please everyone.

Dear David - congratulations on your new redesigned website! Much easier now to get to know your work when it comes to courses/classes - the new design gets you closer to the people working in logicprohelp.com (i.e. you and your team).

The forum redesing is cool - much refreshed :wink: however in my opinion, not having applied a darker color (even slightly darker) to the background below the posts makes it more difficult to the eye to separate where a post finishes and another starts.

I know the body of each post has a shadow applied so it contrasts with the background but so the eye would grab the info about "here is one piece of information - a post, and here begins another one".

If you feel inclined or have the time, give it a try a and see what a slight darkening (or not so slight) does to the comprehensiveness of the posts and the global perception of the info.

Best for you in 2012 and your new website!

:)

It's just that the url format is different now. *if* the indexing numbers (ie, forum thread ID's etc are the same - I haven't checked) it should be possible to do some server magic to translate key old url's into the new format on the fly. In the mean time, for important stuff, you can always use the site search to locate the content you are looking for, rather than google.

I have addressed this in point #1 in New forum: known issues and workarounds.

I'll bet you a Macintosh Apple that at least some users will complain that I have changed the layout back to the "old ways" when they really preferred the new way of keeping the avatar and user info tucked away to the right. Not that it means anything, other than through experience I've learned that you just can't please everyone.

Of course! That's why running a site like this is such fun :D

I like the word "fresh" when describing the new look and feel of the forum. It looks great.

Congrats to Eric and Jordito. Awesome.

Since you are taking a few days to relax Dave, I'll use this opportunity to wish you a happy new year.

Oh ya, 2011 is the year I figured out women. It's really simple, all you have to do is {CENSORED}

Talk to you in the new year. :)

I have addressed this in point #1 in New forum: known issues and workarounds.

I've tried the workaround and it works. One thing, the fix didn't work for any of the linked MP3s in the recent MixWolph 3. Not a biggie but this might be of interest for those slaving away on the new forum.

I hope there is a fix for the larger issue of searching via google. I've never found the LPH search function to work very well (maybe it's different now?) and over time I've switched to using Google because not only was it faster and easier, I got more related results. The search that's worked especially well was from a tip from our new moderator, Jordito. It looks like this:

site: Logicprohelp "search terms"

The quotes are not necessary. This still works to find the old links that are floating around out there but as mentioned, they all go to the 404 page. Does anyone know a way of using that search method that will adapt to the new forum and all it's posts?

David, I know you're working on display issues with the quotes and I'd like to add that it was also easier when the quoted person's name was black and not grey. I'm actually finding the present quotes display to be confusing because I often start reading a post only to realize that I'm not reading the poster, I'm reading a quote. Couple that with the right side avatar and it all feels a bit like work now for something that was abundantly clear and simple before.

Regarding "show your posts" in the user control panel, is there a way of making the titles of all the posts show up on the top of each post? The way it is now, all posts done on the old forum are now harder to parse than they were before.

And on a final note, I have to say I feel a bit churlish bringing these issues up, because I know how much work has gone into this. It's such a great forum that I want it to work as well as possible. So David, enjoy your break tomorrow night, you've really earned it. I'm really impressed with how responsive you've been to the user base so far. Great work, truly!

One thing, the fix didn't work for any of the linked MP3s in the recent MixWolph 3. Not a biggie but this might be of interest for those slaving away on the new forum.

Fixing that right now.

I hope there is a fix for the larger issue of searching via google.

I believe there will be, we're looking into that.

site: Logicprohelp "search terms"

It should actually be "site:logicprohelp.com keyword1 keyword2 keyword3 etc..."

Does anyone know a way of using that search method that will adapt to the new forum and all it's posts?

Until we find a way to rewrite URLs, the only way is to manually add "forum/" in a URL as explained in the New forum: known issues and workarounds. thread (#1).

David, I know you're working on display issues with the quotes and I'd like to add that it was also easier when the quoted person's name was black and not grey. I'm actually finding the present quotes display to be confusing because I often start reading a post only to realize that I'm not reading the poster, I'm reading a quote. Couple that with the right side avatar and it all feels a bit like work now for something that was abundantly clear and simple before.

Definitely working on that, I agree the quotes are a bit confusing right now.

Regarding "show your posts" in the user control panel, is there a way of making the titles of all the posts show up on the top of each post? The way it is now, all posts done on the old forum are now harder to parse than they were before.

I'm not sure what you mean? I can see the title of each post after clicking "Show your posts".

And on a final note, I have to say I feel a bit churlish bringing these issues up, because I know how much work has gone into this. It's such a great forum that I want it to work as well as possible. So David, enjoy your break tomorrow night, you've really earned it. I'm really impressed with how responsive you've been to the user base so far. Great work, truly!

Thanks for your concern. But that's my job, and I just compile all the feedback in the thread New forum: known issues and workarounds. which makes it easier for everybody to keep track of the issues and the progress. :D

Dear David - congratulations on your new redesigned website! Much easier now to get to know your work when it comes to courses/classes - the new design gets you closer to the people working in logicprohelp.com (i.e. you and your team).

Yes, that was one of the goals. I wanted people to know that I had written a book, and that I was giving classes! After all, why not! :)

The forum redesing is cool - much refreshed :wink: however in my opinion, not having applied a darker color (even slightly darker) to the background below the posts makes it more difficult to the eye to separate where a post finishes and another starts.

OK I see exactly what you mean, but it's a much harder fix than just changing the background color, which would create all sorts of problems with the current design. What you see appear as a 3D frame around each post is actually a collection of images called up by CSS, and each one of those images would have to be worked on to blend in with the new background. So I'm afraid right now that's not going to be my priority. But I'll keep it in mind and see if it bothers me or if others complain about it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Well... by hook or by crook.... I managed to force my computer to the new site.... via (IP removed by admin)

It works but for some reason it doesn't always retain my L+P probably because the cookies keep resetting here if i go to the old site...

:)

Like the new decor btw!

Cheers...

One thing I've noticed is after I've looked at my profile my user name turns red (...) If I look at enough profiles, it's going to look like the forum is populated by a load of admins being kept in line by a few mods, the moderators names always seem to stay green though.

Thanks for bringing this up ruari, I'm adding it to the list. :wink:

One thing I do miss... after a quick look around the new place.. is the old "Show my posts" and the functionality that provided... in showing the threads you had posted to and if anyone had posted to those threads after you... The new version of this in the UCP is okay but it doesn't have that same functionality... (Unless I am missing something?)

So... after you have got all the really important stuff taken care of.. Any chance of that being a possible retrofit?

Oh Crap! Eric and J as the new Mods??? Now I am really in the {censored}

;)

Seriously though guys.. Congrats... and for what it's worth David.. great choices!

One thing I do miss... after a quick look around the new place.. is the old "Show my posts"

Yes, that's already noted: New forum: known issues and workarounds. (#10)

Well... by hook or by crook.... I managed to force my computer to the new site.... via (IP removed by admin)

It works but for some reason it doesn't always retain my L+P probably because the cookies keep resetting here if i go to the old site...

Yup, that works - but please do not post the IP here publicly, for security reasons - thanks!

And glad to hear you like the new look. :D Good to see you here a few minutes after seeing you on the old board!

:oops: sorry about publishing the IP address publicly.. I took it off the old board post too...

I... like yourself.. even using the IP address as the URL.. keep bouncing back and forth mainly because some buttons are hard coded to LPH.com (Like the Main Forum Button in the top Right hand corner) whereas others are apparently using a variable which retains the IP address I used initially...... so if I can manage to stop myself pressing the buttons.. I'll stay put...

..and of course... DNS is still not updated here.. :evil:

Anyhow... to more important matters...

Just wanted to say David.... how much the obvious amount of hard work you have put into the new site..(..and no doubt lies ahead still..) is appreciated... truly!

Thank you...

Oh Crap! Eric and J as the new Mods??? Now I am really in the {censored}

Yeah, it took two guys to replace me. Go figure :lol:

David, I'd like to chime in and say that I would like to see the avatars & names on the left too.

Also, I love the quote boxes, but if they had a darker background it would be much easier to discern quotes from commentary.

Everything's looking great, pages load in less than a jiffy, fantastic work!

Best,

Ski

David, I'd like to chime in and say that I would like to see the avatars & names on the left too.

Also, I love the quote boxes, but if they had a darker background it would be much easier to discern quotes from commentary.

OK one more vote for the avatars to the left. I can feel the balance tilting! I'm definitely going to work on the quotes.

did somebody say "avatars on the left" ?? .......count my vote with that

also, find posts difficult to distinguish from the next.....is it possible to have a striping colour style, where each alternat post has a slightly different shade ?? at the moment it's too subtle and at a glance looks like a wall of continuous text...avatars on the left will solve this to some extent, as this is where the eye naturally falls and will help to distinguish between posts...only slight shade change would be necessary to make it more distinct...at the moment i'm finding it really hard to follow; like reading a paragraph with caps lock on (no contrast)

i'm sure you'll take this in the spirit intended...i really appreciate the effort involved and really like where this is going

p.s..how about an extended range of emoticons ?? :mrgreen: obviously not a priority, but kvr have some great ones (especially in the expanded section)

Looks great, congrats on the new forum!

What's the name of the skin?

Feedback

My two main issues with the new design has already been covered: more contrast on quoted text and switch the avatar from right to left.

Also, is it me or is the font size -1 compared to earlier. Either that or my eyes are getting older! Maybe it's a contrast issue but legibility has gone down for me.

Edited by lagerfeldt