Welcome to our new forum!

Am I the only one left for whom the DNS still has not updated to the new site?

If so, any suggestions as to what to do?

I've 'flushed' via terminal and I have cleared my browser cache... to eliminate anything here...

AFAIK that's the only two things you can do. You just have to be patient. Our DNS TTL (Time To Live) time was set to one hour so in a perfect world ALL Domain Name Servers should have updated their cache within one hour of me changing the DNS info. We don't live in a perfect world. ISPs are trying to reduce load on their servers by overriding TTLs with their own crazy values like 48 hours and then park automated spam pages when a DN does not resolve. I've avoided that by keeping the old site live, so at least you see the old site, not some parked automated spam page from the ISP.

This is one of those things that's truly out of our hands, and out of the hands of our server host. Sometimes it's not even your ISP's fault, it's some other server's fault, and that's why you see the new site one minute, the old one the next.

This should all be resolved by tonight at the latest. Thanks for your patience!

Here is another request.

When I switch the LPH window to a larger screen (2nd monitor) the width stays the same. If I grab and drag the screen to the right, the viewable content remains the same and does not re-adjust.

Is this doable?

Hey Shive', I'm afraid this won't change. We made the conscious choice of designing the entire website with a fixed width. I believe it make things clearer for the majority of readers out there. I hope you get used to it.

Congrats!

It's more "clean", i like this NEW one!

Happy new year for everyone!

Thank you Blackmac!

However, I am truly sorry, we do not allow images in member signatures, no exceptions (even I don't have one). They look like advertising banners and lesser the forum reading experience. I have deleted your signature, but please feel free to make a new signature without using images, thank you!

And happy new year to you too! :D

PS: I have also updated permissions to prevent all members from adding images to their signature.

My first visit to the newly decorated shed!

Just wanted to say very very nice indeed - Very slick, very clean styling. As a retired graphics professional I'm hardwired into eye-candy and interface, and me likey!

I can now say that the old format and behaviour was often frustrating and Windozesque! The content was ace of course.

What a good time of year to introduce it. Nice one, David!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! :D

What a good time of year to introduce it. Nice one, David!

Thanks Red Robin, for the positive feedback! The fact that you're a retired graphic designer only makes it more valuable, so I really appreciate it.

And yes, I thought it would be less disruptive if I made the change during the holidays. Happy New Year!

DNS needs to propagate. What part of the world are you in?

Hi fader8,

I'm currently living (if you want to call it that..) on top (literally) of a 5000 ft mountain in BFE Western NC....

My ISP has less than 14 clients at this time of year... During the Summer months it has close to 4000.... and it appears the issue I am having is not related to DNS exactly but more to do with my local ISP caching web addresses for whatever reason... The sole technician is away for the week so i have to wait until he returns next week to fix this...

The upside of living in such a remote location with so few people.. is that during the winter months I have basically the newly installed entire 25Mb/sec 'pipe' from here to Asheville/Henderson (and in actuality to Apple's new datacenter..) NC.. all to myself... The others here only use it occasionally for email and light web browsing....Quite a jump in available bandwidth from a shared single ISDN we had here less than a year ago!!

:)

Quick Question:

In a forum's lists of threads.. what does a Red Circle with a white triangle inside it indicate compared to the normal Blue circle with a white triangle for threads with new posts?

I've worked out everything else but this one has got me stumped unless it is some form of Priority Symbol that was set?

My ISP has less than 14 clients at this time of year... During the Summer months it has close to 4000.... and it appears the issue I am having is not related to DNS exactly but more to do with my local ISP caching web addresses for whatever reason

That's what I explained earlier, that's your ISP's domain name servers. The reason is that it lowers the load on their CPU and data traffic. They only have to go look for a particular domain name's IP address once every 48 hours rather than once every hour. When you consider how many URL requests a single users makes per hour, and multiply that per the number of users, that makes a huge difference to them (well ok, maybe not when there are only 14 users :lol:). But they shouldn't be allowed to do that (in fact I'm not sure if they are, or maybe the law is not clear on that specific issue). Otherwise, can you imagine if they decided to cache the data for a week? A month? It would certainly be a poor service to their customers.

I'm currently living (if you want to call it that..) on top (literally) of a 5000 ft mountain in BFE Western NC....

My ISP has less than 14 clients at this time of year... During the Summer months it has close to 4000.... and it appears the issue I am having is not related to DNS exactly but more to do with my local ISP caching web addresses for whatever reason... The sole technician is away for the week so i have to wait until he returns next week to fix this...

The upside of living in such a remote location with so few people.. is that during the winter months I have basically the newly installed entire 25Mb/sec 'pipe' from here to Asheville/Henderson (and in actuality to Apple's new datacenter..) NC.. all to myself... The others here only use it occasionally for email and light web browsing....Quite a jump in available bandwidth from a shared single ISDN we had here less than a year ago!!

:)

....in other words, Nigel, you're living on Cloud Nine which is even superior to Apple's iCloud!

HAPPY NEW YEAR! You've been so very helpful in 2011 :D

Regarding "show your posts" in the user control panel, is there a way of making the titles of all the posts show up on the top of each post? The way it is now, all posts done on the old forum are now harder to parse than they were before.

I'm not sure what you mean? I can see the title of each post after clicking "Show your posts".

1953925235_Viewyourpostsheadlines.png.2a3d6466abd442ad385c9479df6b1d95.png

What I'm seeing are the first three posts have the thread topic in big easy-to-see blue letters at the top of the post-box. But after those, which were all done in the new version of LPH, in the old posts, you can only see the title in the side bar. What I'm finding is that scanning those post titles in the side bar is much slower for my eyes than the big blue letters in the first three. It's just that they are so obvious at the top of the thread it makes going through them pretty fast, whereas picking out those small highlighted letters, which are mixed up with a lot of other highlighted things, makes it more difficult to quickly scan through the titles. At least for me it does! And having the post titles alternate red and blue doesn't actually make it any easier.

I'm assuming that over time, I'll be seeing all the new titles in bold, which will make it easy to find the more recent posts, which is of course my usually reason for going in there at all.

BTW, inline posting of images - another great addition to the forum!

In a forum's lists of threads.. what does a Red Circle with a white triangle inside it indicate compared to the normal Blue circle with a white triangle for threads with new posts?

An link to the first unread post. If there are new unread posts, you should not see a blue circle with white triangle? :?

Ah.. ok... Then something glitchy was going on.. (or Im just confused..)

Oddly enough the one with the big Red Circle together with a little Red Circle next to it.. just vanished for no reason a minute ago....

So to summarize.. I see fours types of big circles...

Big White circles with blue triangles inside them to indicate threads i have visited that have no new threads in them..

Big White circles with grey triangles inside them to indicate threads that have been moved...

Big Blue Circles with white triangles inside them (and little red circles next to them) to indicate threads i have or have not visited... that have new posts in them...

Big Red Circles that I don't understand.... :) and.. there was only one of them...about half way down the first page of threads in the Logic Forum... in all the different forums..

Am I missing something?

I wish i had moved my mouse pointer over it when it was visible to see what it was labeled as... but i didn't.. Sorry!

Just as a visual clue to what i am going on about...

1546422516_ScreenShot2011-12-31at3_28_23PM.png.79ebf64efe9dd8a80a1377ffba0fe0ed.png

The upper thread is one i have never visited or read..

The lower one is one I have visited and read in the past

Both have new posts in them

Neither of them have the Large Red Circle I referred to in my earlier post.... that looked like this... (I had to fake it as the original one has vanished..) and was an old thread from a day or so ago...

566789570_redcircle.jpg.717c31883f7e5a2683b4b235b1ff027d.jpg

(Got to love the new inline image placement! YAY!!)

Edited by n6smith

Hey Shive', I'm afraid this won't change. We made the conscious choice of designing the entire website with a fixed width. I believe it make things clearer for the majority of readers out there. I hope you get used to it.

No problem. In fact, I am re arranging the little studio set up (for the ten billionth time) and I turned and adjusted my larger monitor 90 degrees - the forum now fits perfectly. I do not have to scroll up and down as much this way, so it is my blessing in disguise.

It will still take me some time to get used to navigating around this new design.

You guys are doing a great job and the basis of the forum is all about helping each other.

Keep up the good work!

Just as a visual clue to what i am going on about...

You should not see that. You're seeing that because you're not accessing the logicprohelp.com URL, but our servers IP directly. You may see all sorts of bizarre things like that until you finally access the site through logicprohelp.com.

Ah!.. Makes total sense...

Thanks David...

Changed DNS servers and now all is well here.. Turns out my ISP changed DNS servers 4 weeks ago but forgot to tell anyone and the old ones are no longer being updated....

However, I too, am still having an issue with Login not being retained.. Maybe a cookie issue so I'll see if i can fix it this end...

***Update*** Reseting cookies in Safari, seemingly fixed the Login issue...

Thanks David et al.... for the help and advice....

Edited by n6smith

David,

The avatars on the left looks so much better. Thanks for hearing our collective voices on this and making the change. :)

Some observations...

I first saw the change this morning when reading the forum on my Android phone over breakfast. Didn't need to refresh my browser or clear the cache to see the difference. But on my computer (running Safari) it took clearing the cache several times to get all pages to show the avatar on the left.

Also, I noticed that when viewing the new forum on the phone that the background of quoted text has a slightly pinkish (light violet) background, but when viewing the same page on Safari (computer) that the backgrounds don't have that tinting.

Anyway, like I said, just some observations, FYI, etc. Kudos for all your hard work.

Happy Gnu Year,

Ski

Unknown.jpeg.0bfb74b73f99f147b92e1da418a889ac.jpeg

But on my computer (running Safari) it took clearing the cache several times to get all pages to show the avatar on the left.

That's just a CSS file caching issue. Just refresh the page a few times and your browser will eventually get an up to date copy of the CSS file, and the page will reformat.

It's quite common. Sometimes if you want to make sure everyone gets the changes, there are few ways to force a refresh - simplest is to use a differently named CSS file than previously, forcing the server to serve the new file, rather than a cached version of the old one.

Caching can be complicated, as there are potentially multiple levels of caching throughout the chain, from the web server, through the various layers of internet and ISP chain, and your local computer and browser and so forth.

But literally, usually a few refreshes, sometimes a local cache clear will usually sort it out...

The avatars on the left looks so much better. Thanks for hearing our collective voices on this and making the change. :)

Yes, it became pretty clear pretty quickly that there was a consensus on that... :D

But on my computer (running Safari) it took clearing the cache several times to get all pages to show the avatar on the left.

I've had the same thing happen here. I think maybe the ISPs cache some of the style files? Changing the avatars from one side to the other was a change in .css files, which are typically cached much longer than .html or .php pages I believe (at least it would make sense it seems). So that would explain the hiccup. It was weird for me this morning to read all the "Thank you for moving the avatars to the left" while myself seeing them to the right. Another cache refresh fixed it.

Also, I noticed that when viewing the new forum on the phone that the background of quoted text has a slightly pinkish (light violet) background, but when viewing the same page on Safari (computer) that the backgrounds don't have that tinting.

Mobile platforms will get more attention later:

New forum: known issues and workarounds - Status Updated

Thanks for the Gnu, I really really appreciate it. I always wanted one. Aunt ah app pee Gnu beer 2-u-2!