mountain lion...report from the frontline...

fisherking

Same results here... Easy install, everything works, Safari ungodly fast. I'm installing fresh RAM to bring the machine up to 16Gb tomorrow, and the combination should make things mighty snappy around here. The new notifications stuff and tight integration with my iDevices is much welcomed.

BTW, I'm really getting into Logic (I'm a recent convert from Digital Performer), have already finished my first client demos with it, and it sounds and works great.

If I'm following along correctly Mac Pro(s) and Mini server been tested so far by you gentlemen? Just wondering, I really would like to upgrade but I'm to chicken to try it on my home computers. I avoided Lion based on what I've seen but it would be nice to have an upgraded OS.

Thank you for posting all this folks, it seems like 10.8 may be a good starter like Snow Leopard was. Time will tell but I'm getting itchy :)

Bought G-Drive 7200rpm firewire drive before updating to Mountain Lion. After formatting it i moved projects over to it. Cleaned up and intended to just download MLion. The duet (firewire) was reported to be working. Mountain lion downloaded in 50 min, the install about the same. I had to set the duet preferences the first time opening logic but performance seemed the same as lion and the duet firewire worked fine after reset. Over the day things are much more responsive on the desktop even though Time Machine has been busy! Logic seems the same as before the update. Great to read later that the duet firewire is supported in Mountain Lion. Native plugins only in Logic and still in 32 bit mode (64bit in the morning) after playing around a bit first. First impressions are good.

Cheers! Dave.

Logic has worked the same for me.

I hate Mountain Lion so much, that I just want to beat my head through a brick wall. Try pausing in iTunes, and play again. It goes back like 5 seconds.

AND NOW WHEN I DO IT, IT DOESN'T DO IT ANYMORE! I want Lion back...

This has been the second worst Apple release, to me. I find the first to be the iPhone 4S.

Lion put the external firewire disk to sleep when the prefferences were set to never. the disk is better now. Logic does seem to open smoothly, my projects are as i left them. logic is playing nice. Using the least hungry graphics driver sees a much quicker desktop here. Most eye candy is disabled, trying to optimise and keep things as simple as possible. I repaired disk permissions shortly after installing. Three times in 24 hours i've shut down, turned the power off and taken a break. Each start up is better than the last.

I'm pretty pissed that my mac pro 1,1 doesn't support mountain lion due to the 32 bit EFI. There's no way that I'm dropping another 2500 on a new mac pro when my current one can't even fill 60% of CPU use in logic projects. I think I'm gonna try one of the mountain lion install hacks.

I did say I only wanted to make music, but if Logic runs more smoothly now, that's enough for me. I did update the video card last year.

Just learning how fast apple is moving, my iPad is "old" now.... still use it loads.

I hope you get your system as you want it, it's early days yet.

Snow Leopard was my intro to mac, I liked Lion, up to now, i'd say Mountain Lion sits between SL and Lion. I like it.

I love logic pro, but i don't depend on it for a living so upgrading isn't devastating if it fails.

If logic was paying the wages, i'd be very different about upgrades.

Today if Mountain Lion fails. Reinstalling was always on the books.

So far ...... so good.

Bridge works fine. Nothing has changed as far as I can see with 32-bit support.

All my plug-ins validated just fine. Feel free to ask questions about 10.8 if you like! :D

PS! Safari seems snappier.

Eric,

Do you have other IK Multimedia programs other than A3? Did they all validate properly?

All my plug-ins validated just fine. Feel free to ask questions about 10.8 if you like! :D

Eric,

Do you have other IK Multimedia programs other than A3? Did they all validate properly?

Sure I have a bunch!

Which ones do you have in mind.

Updating my living room mini right now...

Wanted to quickly throw this in. I've been running 10.8 since Dev preview 3 and Logic has had ZERO issues for me . It was so much quicker than 10.7 I went ahead and moved all my computers over yesterday . I have even run Pro Tools 10 no issues HD or LE but mainly Logic . I'm running 2009 Macbook Pro 3.02 Ghz 8 GIG of Ram , UAD Satellite Duo , Apogee Duet 2 . Absolutely no issues running any 32 bit plugs i had even on 10.6.8 . I am giving Apple an A+++ for 10.8 . I'll even throw this in, I used to turn off spotlight and disable it just so I could speed my system up but I left it on and have had zero issues.

Best

Dean Coleman

Wanted to quickly throw this in. I've been running 10.8 since Dev preview 3 and Logic has had ZERO issues for me . It was so much quicker than 10.7 I went ahead and moved all my computers over yesterday . I have even run Pro Tools 10 no issues HD or LE but mainly Logic . I'm running 2009 Macbook Pro 3.02 Ghz 8 GIG of Ram , UAD Satellite Duo , Apogee Duet 2 . Absolutely no issues running any 32 bit plugs i had even on 10.6.8 . I am giving Apple an A+++ for 10.8 . I'll even throw this in, I used to turn off spotlight and disable it just so I could speed my system up but I left it on and have had zero issues.

Best

Dean Coleman

"much quicker" .. I'm just getting angrier now, :evil: looking for 3,1 Mac pros on ebay...

Eric,

Sure I have a bunch!

Which ones do you have in mind.

Updating my living room mini right now...

Miroslav;

Sonik Synth;

T-rackS Deluxe;

I have Fender Amplitube, which won't authorize in Lion, although I've been assured that there is no issue running it in A3 (which I love, btw).

Non-IK: Addictive Drums and BFD 2.

Cheers,

Glenn

Miroslav;

Sonik Synth;

Don't have those but I have SampleTank that is based on the same Plug-in engine and it validates and works through the 32-bit bridge.

T-rackS Deluxe;

I have a bunch of singles that validates in 64-bit.

I have Fender Amplitube, which won't authorize in Lion, although I've been assured that there is no issue running it in A3 (which I love, btw).

Fender Amplitube validates just fine but it is 32-bit only.

Better to use the amps and stuff in Amplitube 3 as you stated.

Non-IK: Addictive Drums and BFD 2.

Addictive works fine... 32-bit bridge if you don't want to use the laggy beta.

Nothing seems to have changes Core Audio wise that is affecting how Logic uses AU as far as I can see.

To the dual-monitor folks - have Apple changed the full screen handling in ML, or is it just as sucky as Lion was (always forcing a full screen to one monitor, regardless of which you wanted it on, and blanking out the other making it useless)..?

Ok, I am in Mountain Goat. I had a short scare when I booted Logic (AU validation went ok in 32 and 64 bit, although the UASpeechsynthesis, or whatever it is, wouldn't vaiidate. No biggie for me). First project I loaded I got a 'previous audio interface not available!' message. Checked my audio preferences, Duet was selected. Opened iTunes, that was fine. Re-started the computer, same deal. Checked the audio prefs in Logic, the Duet wasn't selected. Did so, and everything seems fine. I haven't had the hang up of the AUNetReceive (yet, knock on wood!!!), and the AUs seem to load more efficiently.

Ik Multimedia plugs vaiidated fine;

Melodyne; check;

Addictive Drums; check;

BFD2; check.

Scuffham Amps: check.

At first boot, I had to give a new email address for my Apple ID, and something did not work properly. No idea what. However, I am in here, and everything seems to be working. I'll just have to get used to some of the new 'features.'

I dunno why I did this. I am usually a 'wait and see' type, but that Mountain Lion staring at me just begged me to run with it. :lol:

To the dual-monitor folks - have Apple changed the full screen handling in ML, or is it just as sucky as Lion was (always forcing a full screen to one monitor, regardless of which you wanted it on, and blanking out the other making it useless)..?

It's the same as before but it seems that you can at least choose the monitor.

http://willkuhn.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/screen-shot-2012-06-12-at-9-29-12-am.png

not that anyone is holding their breath ( :roll: ) but...my session got bumped to tomorrow. so...tomorrow will report on a 'full day' or running L9 in 10.8...

meanwhile, interesting to see how others are doing. as an OS, am finding this one the "snow leopard" of lions so far..

fast. stable. light. we'll see what crops up over time...

I am pleased, too. Especially since the hang up at AUNetReceive seems to be gone (knock on wood). I haven't stressed Logic or my new mini-server yet (the server app is still there, btw, but I won't touch it, oh no), but I have a good feeling about this. The AU initialization when loading Logic is faster than it was, and, yes, things seem 'zippier.'