mountain lion...report from the frontline...

fisherking

Joeseek... I have another thread about this. I had exactly the same problem, and noticed that the MIDI meter in the control stripmwas flashing some kind of input information. Most of my synths and keys are routed through a MOTU MIDI Tme Piece, but I do have a small USB keyboard on my desktop.... When I switched off that keyboard the MIDI messages stopped and the problem vanished.

I'll be doing some more experimentation in the next couple days, but I suspect this errant MIDI data is interfering with transport control.

more info guys,

"Apple has significantly altered the architecture of the graphics subsystem in Mountain Lion, cleaning up the interface between OpenGL and drivers in order to implement upcoming support for OpenGL 4.2. OS X currently supports version 3.2, and the lack of support for the latest version shows when comparing performance with Windows."

ML-Graphics-here

http://www.osnews.com/story/26241/Graphics_improvements_give_Mountain_Lion_that_speedy_feeling

mountain-lion-drops-support-for-several-older-mac-models

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/02/16/mountain-lion-drops-support-for-several-older-mac-models/

Big changes to 32bit 64bit migration and the graphics system.

Im seeing the same behavior as joseek. And I do have AirDisplay on my system... I'll try uninistalling it (I thought I read that it was not compatible with ML, but it seemed to be running okay, so I left it on).

EDITED TO ADD: uninstalled AirDisplay, and it seems after running Logic for OA hole this evening that the transport woes have cleared up. This also may have fixed another problem with Logic losing contact with my mixing console (which emulates a Mackie Control). If this fixes the problem, I'll be happy to live without AirDisplay. If not, I'll keep digging.

Im seeing the same behavior as joseek. And I do have AirDisplay on my system... I'll try uninistalling it (I thought I read that it was not compatible with ML, but it seemed to be running okay, so I left it on).

EDITED TO ADD: uninstalled AirDisplay, and it seems after running Logic for OA hole this evening that the transport woes have cleared up. This also may have fixed another problem with Logic losing contact with my mixing console (which emulates a Mackie Control). If this fixes the problem, I'll be happy to live without AirDisplay. If not, I'll keep digging.

That's great Jim. I hope this will help users in the same boat as yours. :wink:

Now that the smoke has cleared, how is Mountain Lion behaving with Logic Pro on a Mac Pro? And Eric, on a side note, is everything a-okay with Final Cut Pro and Aperture?

The further refined GPU enhancements in Mountain Lion, that are apparently partially responsible for some of the new found 'zippiness', are really enticing. Other motivating factors to update, based on NovaBench scores, are the:

1. Faster integer operations per second

2. Faster Drive Write Speeds

3. Unification of mobile and desktop platforms

4. Realizing that the next major release of Logic may require 10.8

Here is a link to NovaBench: http://novabench.com/

It would be great to see more before and after reports using a benchmark tool like NovaBench.

I'm well aware that some users are experiencing a lagging interface when using plugins, for example, the Channel EQ's analyzer, but other than that, is everything else performing well? Users that have upgraded directly from OS X 10.6.8, how does OS X 10.8 compare in performance and efficiency when running Logic?

Thanks a bunch for any info you can guys can share.

For the record, my interface/transport control lagging problems are gone now that I uninstalled AirDisplay and repaired disk permissions, most of which had something to do with CoreGraphics. I worked in Logic 9.1.7 on a MacPro running ML all day today without the slightest hiccup or loss of communication between Logic and my Tascam DM console or any or the plug-ins... 9 straight hours, no problems. I'm calling this "solved" on my rig.

People always say things like this - I wonder where they get them from, because I can't think of any Apple ProApp ever that on launch of a major new versions has *only* able to run on the most recent release of OSX.

There's usually technological cut off points somewhere on the line, but they rarely force you into running an OSX.x.0 just before they will even run.

If Logic X were released tomorrow, or in the next six months, it would be unlikely to require 10.8, imo based on experience. However, knowing Apple, you can never be too certain...

Good info Jim, that's reassuring and great to hear.

Bob - I of course was merely speculating. As I too, since its debut in the early 90's, have never known a Logic release to require the latest OS. However, with all the offloading of processor intensive tasks to the GPU that Mountain Lion offers to developers, I thought that perhaps there may indeed be at least a benefit of running OS X 10.8 with the next Logic incarnation, even if not 'required'.

It would be great to hear more reports of how Mountain Lion and Logic Pro are cohabiting.

Good info Jim, that's reassuring and great to hear.

Bob - I of course was merely speculating. As I too, since its debut in the early 90's, have never known a Logic release to require the latest OS. However, with all the offloading of processor intensive tasks to the GPU that Mountain Lion offers to developers, I thought that perhaps there may indeed be at least a benefit of running OS X 10.8 with the next Logic incarnation, even if not 'required'.

It would be great to hear more reports of how Mountain Lion and Logic Pro are cohabiting.

Mountain Lion, Logic are fine here on mbp

future upgrades will clean up old emulated code, smaller installed image size, better ram performance.

graphics! will become more a case of features gained/lost in development,. bugs, we've got used to.

If upgrades improve Logic OS X, as they seem to have so far on this machine,

many logic users will be very happy.

Trying to keep Logic "Pro" maintained, available and protected is a must.

Good to see fixes and workarounds, great news guys.

People always say things like this - I wonder where they get them from, because I can't think of any Apple ProApp ever that on launch of a major new versions has *only* able to run on the most recent release of OSX.

There's usually technological cut off points somewhere on the line, but they rarely force you into running an OSX.x.0 just before they will even run.

If Logic X were released tomorrow, or in the next six months, it would be unlikely to require 10.8, imo based on experience. However, knowing Apple, you can never be too certain...

i use aperture and from version 3.2.4 to version 3.3 you have to had mac os x 10.7 :roll:

so, this was a small update, perhaps logic x will run with lion too, but i think snow leopard users have to upgrade.

also the logic update from version 9 to version 9.1 kicked the ppc support.

so, this was a small update, perhaps logic x will run with lion too, but i think snow leopard users have to upgrade.

It all depends on what you're doing; if you're running a Logic production rig on a professional level, there's every reason not to update to Mountain Lion at this point. For many people it's proven to be a computer science experiment gone bad, and unfortunately so.

And now, a report from the trenches: from recent conversations with five of my colleagues (engineers, producers, and programmers) who all work at the highest levels in the music world, two are still on OS 9 systems, one is running Tiger, two are running SL. Thoughts of updating to Lion or ML are simply out of the question.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Food for Thought :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i use aperture and from version 3.2.4 to version 3.3 you have to had mac os x 10.7 :roll:

No need for the rolly eyes, this is not what I meant. As I said, there is a point technology forces you to move and upgrade - this would be like your example above.

But the point I made, is no major new version of an Apple ProApp has required the new OSX for launch. Aperture 3 did not require 10.7.0 when it was launched. Logic 9 did not require 10.6.0 when it was launched - all proapps that I can remember have never had a brand new OSX as a requirement, they've all worked at least one or even two major versions back - so again, I see no reason to think that Logic X, if released reasonably soon would *require* 10.8, based on past history I'm sure it would be fine with 10.7 - though of course this is all logically-based speculation.

Edited by beej

i did 9 hours straight today (except for leg-stretches :mrgreen: ) and not a bump in the road. i even accidentally option-dragged a bunch of audio segments, time-stretching them...this would have taken L9.1.6 down for me.

am doing a lot of post-production (vocal arrangements, some mixing), and am serio 8) usly pleased. so my L9/ML experience is a very good one...

now back to work. 8)

I had been wanting to get a new Mac Pro as my sessions were taxing my system a bit but it was still workable, my 6 year old Mac Pro wasn't compatible with ML so I decided to take the plunge now, got the entry level mac pro.

Did a fresh install of everything, running; Logic 9, Meloydyne, UAD-2, Apogee Symphony, Soundtoys, euhpnix mc control and Maschine Mikro. Everything is working great so far, no crashes. The only issue I had is one time my system wasn't recognizing my UAD-2 cards, shut the mac down and started up again, took care of it, hasn't happened again.

With the new Mac Pro I am noticing some things work better with the computer. My Symphony system for example would always have to be turned on after my old system was fully booted, with the new mac it doesn't matter, they lock up fine regardless. I have my system set to sleep after 3 hours, in case I fall asleep and stumble to bed, not shutting down. :) Before I would always have to restart everything coming out of sleep mode but that doesn't seem to be the case now. Overall everything is working much better.

Don't worry you can quit after the download is finished.

It will download an installer inside of you Applications folder. You can launch that installer whenever you want and it will give you the option to choose install disk as long as it is a OS X system on.

I would strongly advise on saving the dmg inside of the installer for later installs or clean installs. You need to do this before you install otherwise it will delete itself.

How to create a bootable, backup Mountain Lion install disk

hi...sorry for my english...i've got a logic studio 9 original...i buy a lion osx 10.8 and my copy of lion does t work.when i double click on it it appear something like...youc an t use logic with this version of macosx...you ve got logic pro 9.1.1.So i goes to apple store and i download logic pro 9.1.7 update...i double click on them and i read ''An eligible Logic Pro version was not found in the Applications folder. This update requires Logic Pro version 9.0 or higher.'' What s wrong??How could i do for continue use my copy of logic that i payed 399 euros?Please help me...and sorry if you talk about this in some other part...im not english mother language

Thanks

hi...sorry for my english...i've got a logic studio 9 original...i buy a lion osx 10.8 and my copy of lion does t work.when i double click on it it appear something like...youc an t use logic with this version of macosx...you ve got logic pro 9.1.1.So i goes to apple store and i download logic pro 9.1.7 update...i double click on them and i read ''An eligible Logic Pro version was not found in the Applications folder. This update requires Logic Pro version 9.0 or higher.'' What s wrong??How could i do for continue use my copy of logic that i payed 399 euros?Please help me...and sorry if you talk about this in some other part...im not english mother language

Thanks

Make sure that the Logic Pro application is named "Logic Pro", and that it resides in the main applications folder: Macintosh HD > Applications. The updater will not find the application if it has been renamed or moved.

You can also try the Logic Pro 9.1.7 updater located on the Apple Support Downloads page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1014

Updated to Mountain Lion a couple of weeks back and it's been superb but just started something this morning, and I'm getting a hang-up when I insert an EQ into the channel strip. It's the standard Logic EQ, not 3rd party. In my case, I'm playing the 8 bar loop, and then can't stop it for quite some time as the whole system fails to respond.

Just thought I'd mention it, incase anyone else is seeing it. I can't think of any other changes I've made except the OS system update.

Updated to Mountain Lion a couple of weeks back and it's been superb but just started something this morning, and I'm getting a hang-up when I insert an EQ into the channel strip. It's the standard Logic EQ, not 3rd party. In my case, I'm playing the 8 bar loop, and then can't stop it for quite some time as the whole system fails to respond.

Just thought I'd mention it, incase anyone else is seeing it. I can't think of any other changes I've made except the OS system update.

have you rebooted? (sorry, had to ask)...

Thanks

Make sure that the Logic Pro application is named "Logic Pro", and that it resides in the main applications folder: Macintosh HD > Applications. The updater will not find the application if it has been renamed or moved.

You can also try the Logic Pro 9.1.7 updater located on the Apple Support Downloads page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1014

IT GOES!!!!!!THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Running ML and 9.1.7 here on a test setup for the last couple of weeks...with no new issues (However, I am still using 10.7.4 and 9.1.7 on my main rig) but.....

There are a couple of things one needs to be aware of if you update from Lion (or anything else) to ML...

Right after updating the OS, Spotlight takes some time to update the files and this can put quite a load on the HD system so leave your computer alone for a few hours (preferably overnight..) so Spotlight can finish it's work..

If you are using Time Machine then it too, takes some time to properly update all the new/replaced files present after such an update so again, give the computer time to complete this task... or turn off Time Machine for a while, as you work and then turn it back on again when you are done until Time Machine settles back down again.

If you see a lot of activity (in the activity monitor) concerning either MDS or MDserver then that's probably a spotlight related problem.. and I would suggest you try the following to resolve it but be aware, it's a fix that requires the use of terminal so only attempt it is you are comfortable working with Terminal and if you have made full backups first!

http://www.icantinternet.org/2012/08/mac-os-x-process-mds-is-taking-up-all-your-memory/

but be aware, it's a fix that requires the use of terminal so only attempt it is you are comfortable working with Terminal and if you have made full backups first!

http://www.icantinternet.org/2012/08/mac-os-x-process-mds-is-taking-up-all-your-memory/

Thanks for this info n6-

Does using Onyx for rebuilding spotlight clear out the metadata cache and rebuild it totally from scratch as well?

I've had some crashes when just switching between projects. I thought I might try rebuilding the spotlight index because one of those crashes was spotlight crashing and the whole OS froze and I had to acually hold down the power button to shut down. Although it hasn't happened again.