mountain lion...report from the frontline...

fisherking

For everyone having issues with 32 bit plugins, here is what worked for me:

- Initially running Logic in 64 bit, the 32 bit plugins were not found / did not work

- Ran in 32 bit (right click Logic in applications and ensure run in 32 bit is checked)

- All plugins ran fine under Logic 32 bit

- Went back to Logic 64 bit and the 32 bit plugins (the bridge, etc) ran fine

Anyone see any issues with a focusrite interface? That was my issue when Lion came out. I was a first day upgrader and my Saffire Pro 14 (firewire) was not recognized by the system. Had to restore from a time machine backup, which luckily went fine. Then I waited till focusrite updated their "stuff".

The only plugin that couldn't handle the Mountain Lion was the Elixir Limiter from FLUX. Everything else: IK, Soundtoys, Slate, Waves, ect. is good to go.

Wondering if "FLUX:" will every catch-up on their OSX implementations, still no 64bit plugins, and now this, on there most updated plugin :cry:

Anyone see any issues with a focusrite interface? That was my issue when Lion came out. I was a first day upgrader and my Saffire Pro 14 (firewire) was not recognized by the system. Had to restore from a time machine backup, which luckily went fine. Then I waited till focusrite updated their "stuff".

at home, i use scarlett 2i2, and no issues.

just did 2 1/2 hours, about 30 midi tracks (but no 32bit plugs). no hiccups, weirdness. nice.

one thing...the new ML open/save windows are, uh...a bit special needs, LOL. bigger? definitely higher contrast.

i don't like them (but then, this is apple, and no one's asked).

long day to go, will report back again tonite.

at home, i use scarlett 2i2, and no issues.

just did 2 1/2 hours, about 30 midi tracks (but no 32bit plugs). no hiccups, weirdness. nice.

one thing...the new ML open/save windows are, uh...a bit special needs, LOL. bigger? definitely higher contrast.

i don't like them (but then, this is apple, and no one's asked).

long day to go, will report back again tonite.

I've talked about this and another forum mate did too

I even send a bug report to Apple, ok it's not a big deal yet, but it shows us nothing has been optimize for Logic in Mountain since the Developper Preview. I don't understand how can let this kind of details passed the QA without communicating.....they don't care about us :mrgreen: I know i already said that and many ppl don't agree with me......but that's a fact....reality guys 8)

Have you ever noticed in lion the save/open dialog boxes had a bug where the pane on the left side was oversized, it happened every time and you had to keep dragging it back. Maybe this was a cheap/easy way to fix that, by making the dialog match the rest of the OS

I had not updated to the new version of Ivory yet and it won't pass either.

Thanks for the report, and for bravely testing things! I'm confused here - Are you saying that you think the reason Ivory does not currently pass validation - since your ML install - is because you are running an earlier version release? Are you planning to try again with the latest Ivory update, and if so, would you be posting your results?

This is the only 32-bit plug that is a "must" for me right now in terms of updating to ML (well, the Yellow Tools Engine also, though they are currently working on a 64-bit release).

Thanks again

Have you ever noticed in lion the save/open dialog boxes had a bug where the pane on the left side was oversized, it happened every time and you had to keep dragging it back. Maybe this was a cheap/easy way to fix that, by making the dialog match the rest of the OS

that always got on my nerves...but not as much as the new dialog boxes. they just feel like a punch in the face... :mrgreen:

this is a new look, not a fix. i mean, the contrast is ridiculous (but i can live with it if logic is gonna run well)

mountain lion time machine

Keeping an eye on Time Machine using Console has saw the messages cleaning up as time machine settled itself. Today it's backing up regularly, yesterday saw long scans and Cleaning Up. Time Machine earned it's keep, and my respect, letting it complete takes a bit of patience but worth the wait.. Some system preferences held but some had reverted to defaults, including putting disks to sleep. Including (firewire 7200rpm).

edit: non journaled format on install. (working well)

lp9-mountain-lion

logic on the first day worked fine. Today, now time machine has caught up and os x has been up and running a while, is much better. Very nice! Logics demo songs and power hungry projects perform a little better (new firewire disk new os x)?. The Logic menu shows a link to download extra content, could have been there before the upgrade but install here was on snow leopard using DVD set. Logic has always been great, problems, bugs, development and all… Still is great.

Reading the posts here on the forum and picking through tutorials = plenty to get on with while waiting.. Logic froze on Lion a couple of times using Piano roll or maybe renaming regions, white screen warning and freeze. It hadn't happened for a long while running lion, not at all on mountain lion? The dvd installed version may have integrated with the app store version? First logic start up after os x upgrade did a plugin rescan and i had to reset my duet (fw) in logics audio preferences. OS X upgrade or Logic changes, I'm not sure which caused the resets. Logic and 10.8 work well on this machine. today if a reinstall was required it would be mountain lion i'd choose first, snow leopards got competition. Stability seems fine, desktop looks and works very well, safari is better, i've opened and used many apps, logic starts, works, shuts down. Two os x updates, snow leopard, lion and mountain lion yet still the desktop is responsive. Nice work. Early days yet...

Edited by DaveRobinson

Yes I am saying that I am using the version of Ivory before the Ivory II update and that I am thinking that although it ran fine under SL, that it may be the reason it won't pass AU Validation. Also, YES I am going to update it and I WILL post the results. Still working to try to get the URS plugs to validate. I will try the suggestions posted above.

Thanks everyone.

Peace!

Automap 4 was installed when i upgraded to mountain lion.

Automap starts, logic pro 9 works, Automap is working and i've used logic the most since upgrading, not sure how well automap is working but my workflow is the same as before the upgrade. I'll look a bit deeper into now the system has settled in a bit.

Not really sure about installing the next Beta release? i usually do! have to wait and see...

edit:

Running the beta meant cleaning up before installing the newer version, once done, repair disk,. permissions.

Doing the same before OS X update also, Very rare use of my MBP keyboard/trackpad. This is one of them.

using wireless keyboard and Magic mouse.

Edited by DaveRobinson

On an apple discussion board, somebody mentioned that Mountain Lion doesn't open in 32 bit mode. This may mess up my use of some Soundtoys and G-Force plug-ins that I like, and would definitely hinder updates to them, which require opening Logic in 32 bit mode temporarily (to scan them in).

Anyone able to confirm this is the case please?

I'd kind of like to go to Mountain Lion, but not if it's going to upset the happy music-making ...

On an apple discussion board, somebody mentioned that Mountain Lion doesn't open in 32 bit mode. This may mess up my use of some Soundtoys and G-Force plug-ins that I like, and would definitely hinder updates to them, which require opening Logic in 32 bit mode temporarily (to scan them in).

Anyone able to confirm this is the case please?

I'd kind of like to go to Mountain Lion, but not if it's going to upset the happy music-making ...

the OS? or logic? logic can, as before, boot 32bit; i needed to do that to get sylenth1 and addictive drums working...

Hi all. I upgraded to ML yesterday and when starting Logic 9 for the first time, it scanned my plugins, all well except for failing to recognize Slate Trigger. I then opened Pro Tools 10 and strangely Trigger opened and worked as normal. Anybody else seeing this or anybody else with Logic running on ML owning the Trigger plug would care to check it?

@Hellishmusic hi you have to download an older version first fire it up in logic then quit out and download the newest version steve has not sorted that bug out yet or a 64bit version , any who so the graphics card that comes with some macs are not able to handle ML in logic with graphicaly moving GUI ect?

For all of you wondering about 32-bit Logic!

Don't confuse the Kernel level of the OS with the applications.

Mountain Lion requires the OS X kernel to boot into 64-bit.

The Apps are not required to do this and you can still use apps that only support 32-bit.

Yeah, I thought we'd got over this little learning block a while back, but the misunderstanding seems to be creeping in again.

Whether the OS boots the kernel into 32- or 64-bit mode is completely irrelevant to whether any applications run in 32- or 64-bit mode.

ML will only boot into a 64-bit kernel, which means all drivers need to be 64-bit capable (which probably sohuld be the case with anything relatively modern, it might cause some legacy issues for people running older things).

You can still run 32-bit applications in ML, including Logic in 32-bit mode.

Hi guys,

I don't know if this is the right place to say this. I have installed Mountain Lion, and my Lexicon u22 audio interface doesn't work. You can't even see it in the OSX control panel.

I know what you are thinking, you want me to visit www.lexiconpro.com and find out what do they say about Mountain Lion. Well, think again, their website seems to be down.

So, keep it in mind if you have a Lexicon audio interface, it doesn't seem to be Mountain Lion ready.

It is a very nice Saturday morning here :)

Pablo

Yep, the website is up now. I've reinstalled the latest drivers, and the audio interface works.

So, this Lexicon U22 interface audio works in Mountain Lion, although it is a discontinued product, I found out that today.

Also, Logic seems to work with no problems here. I have opened a few projects, I have recorded an audio track, and every plugin seems to be working after the rescanning.

Everything's looking good here.

The Numbers Game Demo Project, Exploring lp9 and manuals...

The Fear "demo" song is used here for benchmarking because it fell over with the system overload error message on Snow Leopard, restarting playback saw the song play and cycle ok?. Lion was the same, G-Drive (fw) 7200 rpm added and improvement noted, the song still fell over. My desktop is stable at present, best it's been to date. Performance is better. If the benchmark lp9 project doesn't fall over i add more to the project till it does! then tweak os x and settings till it doesn't. Bells and whistles are disabled.

AirPort and Printers need research here "2do" are they using resources? if i'm not going to use these things how do i know they are turned off, disabled or removed? it must improve security and performance to some degree.

SLMkII Automap, Duet (fw) lp9 native plugins. The benchmark project will always fall over, it always has in windows, linux and os x. Developers get my respect, good ones care and listen. Posts on the forum advise you to clone or develop a backup system. I hear you can restore from an image in "minutes" today. Wow! I set aside a couple of days for a complete reinstall. Weeks before the reinstall spent cleaning and preparing, The aim to keep the system lean, performing well..

The DVD content projects from Davids book is another story, they don't fall over, in fact they run fine.

It's doing what it did before, better. Lets try to get the bugs squashed and the fixes done...

update from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 to ML on my mac pro 3.1 and everything seams to work nice ;-)

the following plugIns don`t validate (Logic 9.1.7 - 32 + 64bit):

TAL Flanger,

Spectre PlugIns (Audiofile Engeneering).

some Automap-PlugIns (same as with Snow Leo before).

working PlugIns:

East West Play (iLok)

Korg PlugIns (eLicenser)

Kontakt 4.x (actual is Kontakt 5.x)

and ca 400 others are also get validated

working Controler:

Behringer BCR2000 with LCXmu

Alphatrack

Nocturn + Automap

Contour Design ShuttleXpress

Korg NanoPad 2

working Hardware:

Emagic AMT8

MoTu 828 mk3 (FW)

all PlugIns and Drivers are up2date

spotlight

cmd spacebar au 'automap'

cmd spacebar lo 'logic'

as soon as the desktop settles after login, "mouse"? to Menu recents. Open copy of demo or benchmark-prj.

keep a notebook, pencil (real one) close by. On lion when the piano roll, white screen and freeze happened, you got to know it was going to happen. Thinking back to using the external firewire drive for the first days, it fits around the freezing on lion stopping, mountain lion seems fine.

Console shows Time Machine backups. Logic used to log a problem with "JamPacks" but they were on the system and worked fine? Those errors aren't there any more, does this go with the link to additional content in Menu, has the upgrade saved me putting the content DVDs in again? Compared to the day of the upgrade console looks calm..

minor update: about 7 hours (with only a south park break!) today, and... 2 crashes of the 32bit bridge (so, much the same as in 10.7). some overloads with a new synth plugin that EATS CPU (it did not happen with any other plug, so it's definitely the plugins fault).

otherwise: no weirdness. no crashes. no overloads. so, unless something insane happens (good or bad), my last report. look forward to what others (continue to) have to say...

Edited by fisherking

The lp9 benchmark project doesn't fall over "every" first playback. that's a first! Quit logic and automap, re-open.

I't falls over this time. Start playback again and playback loops fine while browsing the project..

Overall performance is better, The external firewire drive seems to be there when wanted and quiet when the macbook pro is powered down. I recall powerdown down then power off at the wall just to be sure the drive mounted cleanly.

Not today ML works well with fw disk. Logic is logic..